Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Pace 5268AC gateway firewall dropping packets from downloads and streams

Highlighted

Pace 5268AC gateway firewall dropping packets from downloads and streams

The new 5268AC gateway that I have had for a week has a 2% error rate for "Received" on the status page (transmit looks fine, 0% error). It also appears to be interrupting large file transfers/streams with: 

IN=br1 MAC=dc:7f:a4:--:--:-- src=162.254.199.134 DST=108.---.---.--- LEN=1500 TTL=119 PROTO=TCP DPT=49384 Drop Unknown Incoming Packet
The previous message was repeated 69 times
The firewall logs are full of these entries, and all of these IP addresses are resolving to Akamai content servers, Steam, and Netflix, all of which I am having issues with.

Especially Steam and Akamai (which I'm assuming are Nintendo eShop downloads, since I keep retrying those). I am unable to download any games without it interrupting with some variation of "corrupt download" appearing or watching the progress reach 99% and crashing shortly afterwards. I have tested this on two computers (wired), a Nintendo Wii U (wifi), and a Nintendo 3DS (wifi) with similar results, so it doesn't seem to be a specific interface on the gateway.

None of the firewall "attack detection" options seem to change this behavior when I turn them off. I don't have another router/IPS to put behind this device to test passthrough.

Are there any new firmware versions available for the 5268AC (v10.5.3.527171-att)? Firewall rules (v1000)? Any known workarounds?
Message 1 of 3
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ExpiredMayo
‎05-07-2016 12:29 AM

Re: Pace 5268AC gateway firewall dropping packets from downloads and streams

Nope. Firewall logs are a red herring.

So the full story is I have the new Pace gateway because a power surge killed the old one. And it just so happens that the ethernet surge protector I was recommended at the store...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Network-Protector-DNET1/dp/B0000510HR

...has a big fat "doesn't work with gigabit" followed by "we're the manufacturer and you are correct" in the first review on Amazon.

Removed the surge protector, everything works fine now.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Teacher

Re: Pace 5268AC gateway firewall dropping packets from downloads and streams

@ExpiredMayo

Thank you for coming back and sharing your findings.

I sincerely appreciate it.Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support