SabasC's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, September 9th, 2017 7:27 AM

Pace 5268AC & DMZ/WAN IP problems with Unifi USG

So, I've been at this a few weeks. I just went through a rather long, 6-hour session of... crap.

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway - the little one. And I have AT&T Gigabit Fiber through U-Verse. And I have what may be my least favorite vendor-supplied hardware of all time, the Pace 5268AC.

As you may know, there is no bridge mode in this thing. Instead, there is DMZ+.

To get your router a WAN IP, you set it to DHCP, connect it up, log into the Pace, go into firewall, select the router, then set it to DMZ+. Refresh or restart the router, and you're on the net with a WAN IP. You can forward ports, run VPNs, host servers, and all that!

But it's not what it seems! Rememeber that gigabit fiber service?
It's now 65/100-500. That's a drop from 920/970, by the way.

And it's not the router, the network, or the switch. The Pace is limiting the speed of ANYTHING in DMZ+.

If I run the USG without DMZ+, I can get AT LEAST 900/900 (there will always be overhead).  The issue here is that I can't get a WAN IP... or easily forward ports.

My question to these forums: how do I correct this injustice? What setting do I change? What VLAN do I enable? Who do I have to call?

This modem has already been replaced. I have had AT&T out 4 times, as one of their techs seems to think it's fun to disconnect myself and a few other homes on the panel every now and then. And now, I can't even get the speeds I pay for with hardware that is capable of handling it?

Please. Anyone?

Quick answers

Yes: this is on the wired network.

Yes: this is all gigabit.

Yes: I have updated F/W, drivers, and tried different cables

Yes: I tested this with/without a switch

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

So, I have my answer direct from AT&T: I'm screwed.

There is no way for them to put this in bridge mode or enable IP pass-through.  If I want the gigabit speeds, I need to sit behind my Pace 5268AC's dumb LAN and deal with NAT.  Any port forwarding I do will now be a larger endeavor, and getting site-to-site VPN to run will be a lot of extra work, sitting behind NAT.

They have two other modems they could send me, neither of which offer better features than this Pace.  I'm stuck with the three pieces of junk they will give me, and there's no difference in the end.

This sucks.

I'm glad they have been laying Google Fiber in the area.  At least Google's engineers recognized a similar issue and blogged about how to fix it.

If anyone has a way around this, please let me know.  For now, I've resigned myself to a lot of additional work.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have my own router behind the Pace 5268AC and I have it set to DMZ+. I do not see any speed issues with this setup. I do not have a Unifi USG, but I am running a Unifi setup with a Unifi switch and a few Unifi APs. I am using a mikrotik router instead of the USG and I saw 914/916 on my last wired speed test. For what its worth, I had a USG for a bit, but returned it. Even on my previous internet plan with Comcast, I could not get full advertised speeds of 75mb. The USG seemed to be limiting me to around 30mb down. I did not bother troubleshooting much as when I swapped back to the mikrotik I got full speeds, so I just sent the USG back.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.