cocksy's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 1:43 AM

PS3 can't see Windows Home Server

Hi There,

I'm having trouble getting my PS3 to see my WHS 2011 on my AT&T Uverse network. The PS and WHS used to work just fine before I moved and changed to Uverse. My PCs can all connect to the WHS no problem, but my PS3 just says no server found when I search for it.

The PS3 connects to the internet just fine, and they're all connected to the network via ethernet. I am using an addition router (in wsitch mode - no DHCP or wireless turned on) but that shouldn't affect it - the router can see all the devices connected to the network without any issues.

Is there some ports / DMZ I need to open for this to work, or is there something else I need to do? Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cocksy wrote:
Hi Joe,

I just checked and as far as I can see, nothing in the security stuff has changed in my WHS. Any ideas?!!

It could be that the media sharing/streaming has shut down on the WHS or needs to be reconfigured. If I'm not mistaken, you have file sharing and media sharing. PCs can see the shares without media sharing, but lesser devices that require DLNA and such will not, without media sharing enabled.

When you check the Access Control List for the shares, does the PS3 show up?  If not, is the Guest Account enabled?

Can you manually point the PS3 to the WHS by IP?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cocksy wrote:

Hi There,

I'm having trouble getting my PS3 to see my WHS 2011 on my AT&T Uverse network. The PS and WHS used to work just fine before I moved and changed to Uverse. My PCs can all connect to the WHS no problem, but my PS3 just says no server found when I search for it.

The PS3 connects to the internet just fine, and they're all connected to the network via ethernet. I am using an addition router (in wsitch mode - no DHCP or wireless turned on) but that shouldn't affect it - the router can see all the devices connected to the network without any issues.

Is there some ports / DMZ I need to open for this to work, or is there something else I need to do? Thanks!

You only need port forwarding or DMZ if you're accessing the WHS from the internet, local access does not require that.

Have you reconfigured the networking/shares on the WHS? More than likely the WHS has reset it's security to max once it found itself on a new network (the Uverse gateway).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Joe,

I dont remeber specifically changnig them, so I'll take a look when I get home. However, all the other PCs on my network can see the shares on the WHS OK, and internet access to the WHS works too.

Does that help diagnose the issue at all?!

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Joe,

I just checked and as far as I can see, nothing in the security stuff has changed in my WHS. Any ideas?!!

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Joe - you're a saviour!!! It turns out that for some reason the media serving part of the server had been turned off. Turned it back on and its all working fine!

Thanks sooooo much!!!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@cocksy wrote:
Joe - you're a saviour!!! It turns out that for some reason the media serving part of the server had been turned off. Turned it back on and its all working fine!

Thanks sooooo much!!!

No problem. If you have any other issues, just stop back and ask.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.