Filbert66's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 6:32 PM

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I have just tested, and can confirm that PPTP VPNs work for me also, without using the passthrough workaround.

Finally.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

hello all i am new here and i am happy to be a part of such a technological discussion i was also finding a issue about pptp vpn and i get the information i think this PPTP VPN article helps you check this

Thanks

Regards

Haris Altaf

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the information, but I'm not sure how pertinent this is to the issue we were discussing. The issue we were having was that PPTP was being blocked by the NVG despite the configuration showing that it wasn't. After the latest firmware update, PPTP is now being allowed through the NVG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.