Filbert66's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 6:32 PM

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I believe at one point, I spoke with a Tier 2 person from AT&T and they said that a possible firmware update would be coming out for the NVG510 sometime around December.  It addresses an issue regarding static IP addresses, and my hope is, a fix for the PPTP VPN issue.

I agree, it exposes the machine to the internet, so a strong firewall is a definite must!

I was ready to throw in the towel with AT&T before getting the workaround to work.  The last time I called them, they said there were over 27 different notes in my account with the issues I had with the modem.  I must have spoken to at least 10 different people on trying to get a resolution, and also contacted Motorola tech support as well.  Whenever I said "VPN" they would respond with "Oh, that's a business related issue, we don't support that", even though it was just me trying to use it for work from home.

What I still don't understand is why the DHCP NVG510 server wouldn't supply me the WAN IP address when I did a IPCONFIG /release and IPCONFIG /renew.  I had to actually power down my computer, and restart it before I got served the WAN address over DHCP.  Any ideas?  Perhaps this is the reason why some people have to MANUALLY assign the WAN address on their machines or alternate routers?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I had this workaround functioning for a couple of weeks.  Suddenly, with zero changes on my behalf, it stopped working.

I had IP Passthrough set to one of my laptops so that machine could connect to my client's PPTP VPN.  It had my WAN IP and everythign was fine.

When I went online this morning, that latop had no connection to the internet.  Tried rebooting the laptop, the router, nothing.  It couldn't ping anywhere.

If I turned the passthrough off on the router, the laptop grabbed a 176.16.1.x IP and could connect just fine.

Tried to set the passthrough again, nothing,  can't even ping the router.

I've tried setting the mode to both DHCPS-fixed and manual with no luck.

This router was installed by the fifth ATT tech i had come out here for an intermittent disconnect issue, had a 2-wire before.  They finally fixed the disconnect with this router, but now I can't connect to my clients.  Sigh.  I am so ready to cancel and call up Comcast.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

@eponai wrote:

I had this workaround functioning for a couple of weeks.  Suddenly, with zero changes on my behalf, it stopped working.

I had this happen to me recently. Internet all went down. I had made no changes. Wifi on AT&T router worked fine, but not off my Apple Airport Extreme router, so problem was my personal one wasn't getting the passthrough. Confusing thing was, Apple router reported everything was fine!

Anyhow, after some trial & error, I was able to get it working again by simply turning off Passthrough, and then turning it back on again. Actually, I think I switched to DHCP and then back to static. Don't know if this will help you; sorry.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Had this happen on mine, too. It seemed to coincide with IPv6 being turned on all of a sudden, but I can't guarantee that. Anyway, I tried the same stuff you described without joy. Then, I turned the IPv6 back off, and it started working, so maybe you can give that a try...

In the NVG510 setup screens, go to Home Network tab, then Configure link. Click the IPv6 dropdown to set it to Off. Save the settings, then restart the NVG510 (Device tab, Restart Device link, and follow the instructions there).

A firmware update that fixes several problems is scheduled to come out late this month (December 2011) according to AT&T's tech support. Crossing my fingers....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Well, after navigating the sea of messages and forums, I find that I can get the NVG510 up online in their "Passthrough" environment per the excellent instructions above. But the house network has a Dual-N Netgear router that takes care of everything else, and DYNDNS and Cisco VPN client aren't playing well. Will attempt to monkey with the Netgear's inbound IP address tonight, and make another mess in the attempt to fix this, and get DNS advertising and inbound DNS working properly.

Funny thing is I tried to call the tech support number supplied from the chat line, and its a pay-only service, and for a fresh faced new user to Uverse coming off Bell DSL, this isn't flying well with me.

If I had known ahead of time that the NVG510 would not go into bridge mode willingly and easily, I would have bailed totally on the upgrade. So far, I've invested 4 hours researching and changing the home network, for something that should have been a switch in the RG to "bridge" and be done with it. And to find out that this problem has been around for a some time and is still very, VERY active, well, I also never liked being on the bleeding edge of technology.

If a firmware upgrade comes out for this RG, PLEASE, someone, let us know, so I can fix all of the hiccups that I'm running into by switching it into this "passthrough" mode, and get to a true bridge mode.

I am not going to pay ATT to do home networking, any repair services, or for static IP addresses - I work in this industry, and know how to wrangle networking properly. And they were of no help when I set this up originally on DSL, and they didn't have to hook up my iPhones, iPads, home PCS, Windows Home Servers, wireless printers, media centers, TV, etc as the network grew, and I had to accommodate them into my home network. With this RG, it should have been a no-brainer for Motorola and ATT to know that they needed to provide a bridge mode. I am well beyond the "single router and single PC" environment that this seems to be aimed for. And no, this is not a business environment, its a regular, 21st century home that has 21st century equipment and tech in. Bridging should have been anticipated, and, with little modification, this should have worked out-of-the-box properly and quickly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

If anyone gets this far in the thread, there's a guy named Ron Berman who has documented this quite well, providing a guide to setting up the NVG510 as a bridge and then attaching a real (i.e. working) router that supports VPN.  His thread is at http://www.ron-berman.com/2011/11/24/motorola-nvg510-help-page-for-att-u-verse-users/

AT&T is still giving customers the run-around on this as of 1/11/2012.  I'm going to press them to deliver an alternate product to me since this one is broken right out of the box.  They use a 2-Wire product (not Motorola NVG510) for triple-play customers, and that one supports VPN.  Imagine that.  It's a bit larger and I doubt it will be a straight-up trade since it includes the hardware decoder to receive AT&T's IPTV channels, but it works.  If you're wondering, I obviously won't get free IPTV out of it (they control that from their end).

I'll post this thread if I have any luck with it (what it cost to swap in a working box, delivery time, etc.).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for that update.  You know what makes me pull my hair out?  I *had* the 2-Wire router.  They replaced it twice because I was experiencing intermittent disconnects.  The third time they replaced it with the Motorola NVG510.  The disconnects may be gone, but now I have to jump through hoops depending on which VPN my clients are using.  (I do mission critical server support for high end clients, I have to be able to log in within minutes, and disconnects are unacceptable.)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

After spending a full day on the phone with AT&T getting bounced around amongst various departments, I was unable to convince them to swap my NVG510 with the Modem/Router they provide for triple-play service.  They wouldn't even sell it to me when I offerred "whatever $ you want" for it.   I verified with a friend that his AT&T, triple-play unit from 2-Wire (he forgot to get the make/model for me) definitely supports VPN pass-through without issue.  I'm guessing it's some version of a Pacer 5500, but online data shows the unit for sale only to Telco's.

Unfortunately, AT&T takes the position that an internet-only U-Verse account type is allotted a Motorola NVG510 and that's that.  A triple-play customer is provided a unit from 2-Wire.  Perhaps they have purchasing agreements in place with Motorola and 2-Wire that restrict usage.  I can certainly see they'd want to limit customer configurations to simplify support.  Whatever the reason, their policy leaves us poor saps with a brain-dead router.  Any complaints are wasted breath.

I'm now following this thread and attempting an NVG510 bridge to a shiny new Netgear WNDR3700v3 Router I purchased.  No luck so far.  Please, somebody shoot me and put me outta my misery.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Since you said you were willing to spend the money, add U-Verse TV to your service. They will come and do a technician install and swap the Motorola for a 2Wire 3801.

After a month, cancel the TV service and return to Internet-only service. They'll let you keep the 3801.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

You can "bridge" the NVG510 via the IP Passthrough, @Craig_Lindberg, but it won't fix the VPN. Apparently, the NVG510 won't do PPTP VPN.

As you probably know, this modem has myriad problems. It won't bridge correctly; it won't DSN correctly; it has no DMZ support; and, even if you "open" ports via the port forwarding page, it won't correctly forward some of them - and I'm sure there are other issues as well.

AT&T support said there would be a patch out late in December 2011, but so far I don't know of anyone who's actually received it.

Motorola support told me that this modem (and the 2210-ATT1) were built to AT&T specs, and they're the only modems they have that DON'T have true bridging support. Their tech couldn't believe it.

If you're still going to try the IP Passthrough, there is another take on the instructions here that a number of people have had success with:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/NVG510-Bridge-Mode/m-p/2928989#M29846

That one's done with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). However, the key points for any router are that you connect the NVG510 to the WAN port of the personal router and that you make sure the router gets the public IP of the NVG510 - if it doesn't, you'll have to manually enter the IP, Subnet Mask, etc. Also, make sure you enter the DNS addresses in your router since the NVG510 doesn't pass them through properly.

Again, this won't fix the VPN issue. (One note, though - VPN is working on that setup for me; however, it could be IPSec, rather than PPTP. I'll have to check...)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.