Filbert66's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 6:32 PM

PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

Hello,

I can run an IPsec VPN, but the PPTP VPN falis to work since I got U-verse with this modem (used to work over DSL). Does anyone know of a VPN passthrough setting for the NVG510 ? 

I run MacOS Lion 10.7.2, and my IPsec client only works in 32 bit mode. Want to be able to run in 64 bit mode with native Apple PPTP VPN client. I've confirmed that the PPTP VPN fails to work now on my 10.6 machine, so it's the AT&T modem, not Lion.

When I contacted AT&T support to ask for details, I first got bounced to a different chat session, then was told to call a number, and then was told that only "Special Services" knows how to deal with VPNs, then the first person I spoke to there didn't know what a VPN was. On insisting for someone who knew what that was, I was given a manager who then told me that I was required to pay for help. Pay for something that AT&T broke?! No, thank you, I said. She politely offered to transfer me back to the first people (U verse support) who know nothing about VPNs, and I agreed in order to try at least to get a modem manual and CD. But on transferring, I was disconnected! 

Further details from Console:

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP connection established.

Oct 13 10:34:58 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connect: ppp0 <--> socket[34:17]

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: Connection terminated.

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnecting...

Oct 13 10:35:28 filbert  pppd[1533]: PPTP disconnected

From what I've been able to determine, the modem is not forwarding GRE protocol packets, but can't figure out how to enable that on the modem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

OK, tried setting the NVG to Passthrough mode. Some success, but couldn't get it to work with settings that worked for Bangback . First, had to turn off "Cascaded Router" mode under Home Newtork/Subnets. Then had to power off the NVG even after it reset itself, because it was not allowing me to view the Firewall screens (would go to home screen after entering passcode). Even once had that all working, and verified the MAC address was right, it still was not assigning the fixed IP to the Apple Airport router. Tried resetting and repowering each device multiple times.

However, I then reconfigured the Passthrough to Manual IP mode, configured the Apple router manually with that IP, and it works! Less desirable, because I don't have a fixed IP with AT&T U-verse, but it's good enough for now. If they ever change my IP, I'll just have to reconfigure my local router. 

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

The Motorola NVG510 seems to be the AT&T-specific replacement for the old workhorse 2210/2310 modems (also most were AT&T/SBC-specific). Those were what evolved into the Netopia-branded Motorolas.

Found this link to the 2210 manual (PDF, will open a new tab/window, probably kick your Adobe Reader to open or ask to download) while trying to get NAT settings for someone with their Xbox, take a look at those configurations and see if you can find a solution. I can't find a whole lot on the NVG510 online, as it seems to be very newly rolled out with AT&T. Even Motorola doesn't have anything on their site.

I'm sure someone else will probably give a few hints as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have the exact same issue on my business class circuit.  Has anyone found a solution yet?

TIA,

Bob

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Latest from AT&T support is that there is no manual available to customers. In the words of the AT&T support representative by chat:

Tier2 - Shannon  - Sir again, we only send information with the modem. I have no way in my system to send you anything
Tier2 - Shannon - And everything else is Internal Documents that I would get fired if I sent to you

Then the formulaic following response really got me fired up: 
Tier2 - Shannon  - Is there anything else I can answer for you?
You - Stop saying "anything else". You haven't answered anything in the first place
AT&T Support is FAILing here. Are they trying to drive me to the competition, Cox Cable? 

{Personal content removed for safety}

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I have since verified that the same VPN work when on other WiFi networks (office, coffee).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have had DSL with 2wire modem/router combination for a long time and had no problem using vpn (connecting to work), the moment i changed to u-verse, the issues after issues. i am currently using nvg510 modem/router combination and cannot connect thru vpn. contacting tech support resulted waist of time. somebody pls help how to recongig nvg510 for vpn.

Guru

• 

650 Messages

12 years ago

Even if a real manual is some deep, dark secret, it shows how much it's been actually used to train the people who are supposed to support the equipment's use. I just don't get how, in this day and age, there's gotta be such a "proprietary secret" attached to a specially-configured/provisioned device. Are they afraid someone's going to steal the AT&T secrets to building and making a DSL network work in starting their own? Jeez ...

That little chat should have included a challenge to the CSR -- OK, so you've got it under lock and key, what good is it doing you to solve my problem, or to keep me from dropping your service because you can't make it work properly?

And then, if you want someone to come out and properly provision it, they can't even do it!

Lotta good the "secrets" are doing sitting in the AT&T Safe Deposit Box, when customers call up the local cable company and get all of their needs met, and easily. Nice going, whomever the AT&T genius is that came up with this arrangement.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I am having the same issue.

I upgraded from AT&T DSL Elite yesterday to AT&T U-Verse 12M IP-DSLAM and now I can no longer use PPTP to VPN into my work.

I added the "PPTP" port exclusion in the modem settings, but it still didn't work. 

Also, I can't find a DMZ setting to assign to my desktop to allow everything to pass through.

It worked perfectly fine on DSL, and after switching from U-Verse to a Clearwire 4G device, I was able to VPN in, so there's an issue with the Motorola NVG510.

I spent several hours on the phone yesterday with AT&T Tier 2 support and their solution was for me to return the NVG510 and get a different modem.  So then I call AT&T U-Verse back, and they say based upon my service address, they are only allowed to sell me the NVG510!  Now what?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hello All Re: VPN Failing to Work after New Installation

We had AT&T U-verse installed about a year ago after my computer working fine with a Cox Cable DSL line and at a Starbucks Coffeeshop.  Suddenly my Sony Vaio did not work at home.  I spent two hours on the phone with the repairman for AT&T, and they decided that it was a problem with my computer.  My Mac had been stolen just a month before the installation, and my husband decided that he would rather wait for me to get the Mac repaced than to have the AT&T service replaced because the thief had also stolen two Cox Cable boxes from the car, and we would have had to replace them on our own to change back to cable.  It was very irritating, however, to be told that the problem was our computer's rather than the AT&T router that had just been changed.

I have been having a problem with AT&T's computer site yesterday and today and I have spent three hours trying to buy a MiFi to connect to my computer as a hot spot.  Very Irritating.  I can't believe that the problem has not been fixed for over 24 hours.  I cannot get  passwords to reset, and have had to try multiple passwords to attempt to fix the problem.  Maybe it is due to all the Apple iPhone 4S phones being purchased.

Best wishes to all of you as you work on this problem with your systems. 

Aslanctr 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, I got a workaround that's working for me.

Hopefully Motorola will come out with a firmware update soon that will allow the needed packets to pass through without using IP Passthrough.  I guess using this method will allow your machine to be vulnerable to attacks because you're basically putting it in front of the firewall.

Here's what I did:

1) Get the physical MAC address of your Ethernet adapter for your computer

- Either read the label off of your network adapter, or

- In Windows 7:

1. Press WindowsKey+R , type ncpa.cpl in the box, and click OK .
  2. Right-click the Local Area Connection.
  3. Click Status .
  4. Click Details .
  5. The MAC address appears as Physical Address

2) Once you have your Physical MAC address, go to the NVG510 configuration page.  Type http://192.168.1.254 in your internet browser. 

- Click on "Firewall" at the top, then click on "IP Passthrough"

- Enter the Access Code for your NVG510.  It is printed on a yellow sticker on the side of your NVG510

- You will now be at the IP Passthrough menu screen

- For Allocation Mode, select "Passthrough"

- Leave Default Server Internal Access blank

- For Passthrough mode, select "DHCPS-fixed"

- For Passthrough Fixed MAC address, enter your MAC address from step 1.  Separate every two digits with colons ( : )

- Hit "Save".  The screen will state "Changes Saved" and that it will have to restart the device. 

- Hit "restart" and your modem will reboot.

3) Reboot your computer

- It is important to note, that I tried an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, and it still assigned me a 192.xxx address,

not the actual WAN address that I should have been assigned.  For some reason, only a reboot fixed this.

- When your machine is rebooted, confirm that your computer's IP address no longer starts with 192.168.x.x

- Go to your Start button in Windows

- Type "cmd" in the "search programs and files" window with the cursor

- Type "ipconfig".  It should state that your IP is now your WAN address.  Mine was 108.207.x.x

- Type "exit"

4) Run your VPN as usual.  It should now hopefully work!

Hope this helps others that had the same problem I had. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.