steveolelson's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 10:53 PM

Open udp port 5060 for a wired ip cisco phone

i got into the 3600HGV modem settings hoping to open up port 5060 for my wired IP phone from work. I set up (under Firewall) an allowed application ipphone to allow udp port 5060-5061 but it wants me to add this to a host and there is really not a host since the wire goes directly from the modem to ip phone (cisco ip 7940 series). Is this where I open this port or is it somewhere else? The phone just keeps retrying. Any ideas?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@steveolelson@  wrote:

i got into the 3600HGV modem settings hoping to open up port 5060 for my wired IP phone from work. I set up (under Firewall) an allowed application ipphone to allow udp port 5060-5061 but it wants me to add this to a host and there is really not a host since the wire goes directly from the modem to ip phone (cisco ip 7940 series). Is this where I open this port or is it somewhere else? The phone just keeps retrying. Any ideas?

Yes your IP phone is the host for your ipphone service. If your phone is connected to a LAN port on your 3600, it should show up on the main (home) page of the router under "Home Network Devices". There, you should see the IP address that the 3600 has assigned to your IP phone. If the phone is not showing up on the list, then it is not configured correctly. Try to do a factory reset on the phone.

When the phone does show up on the list, if you click on "Device Details" you should also be able to find the MAC address. Write down both  the IP and the MAC addresses.

Now, go back to your "Allowed Applications", and where it asks for the host, that is where you insert the address of your phone. I would try to use the MAC address, because the 3600 might assign a new IP address to the phone if the 3600 gets rebooted or reset for some reason (power failure, firmware update, etc.), but the phone's MAC address will never change.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.