Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Then go to FIREWALL or ADVANCED FIREWALL. Select IP PASS...

Open NAT for console gaming. ATT Uverse Internet with Motorola NVG589 Modem.

Hello, my name is Brad and I am currently an ATT Uverse Internet customer with a Motorola NVG589 Modem. In my household we constantly have 2 Computers, 2 Xbox 360's, and 1 Xbox One connected to the internet, and that's not including other wireless devices (ie. cell phones).

• The issue I am posting about has to do with having Strict NAT on one or two of our Xbox's at the same time, which causes me to not be able to connect to certain people online, in which I'm sure has to do with opening ports, IP Passthrough, or DMZplus (which my Modem does not support.)
  • Ususally I am able to get Open NAT on one Xbox Console at a time and that usually has to be the first console to sign into Xbox Live, therefor the first one connecting to the internet, which causes the other two Xbox consoles that connect afterward to have Strict NAT.
  • With the ports forwarded and assigned to an Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, and I just enabled the IP Passthrough to the setting "Passthrough", in which allowed both of the Xbox 360's to have Open NAT at the same time (first time ever) but the Xbox One still has Strict NAT.

Note; I have 1 Xbox 360 connected via Ethernet Cable and the other wireless, and the Xbox One is also connected via Ethernet Cable.

• My goal here is to effectively be able to turn on all 3 Xbox Consoles at a time and have Open NAT at all times, regardless of the order in which consoles are powered on.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I have been dealing with this issue for a few years with ATT Uverse.

Thanks again,

Brad

Message 1 of 13
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTU-verseCare
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Open NAT for console gaming. ATT Uverse Internet with Motorola NVG589 Modem.

Hi @KyosanimSam 

Sorry to hear about the issue with your Xbox connections but, we'll be glad to assist. You can setup the NVG589 to be in a passthrough mode with your device. If you have multiple devices needing Open NAT then you will need your own router, probably with uPnP support.

To setup the NVG589, here is a great post from one of our community members. The instructions are for an NVG510 but they will work with the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 13
Contributor

Hey brad, had the same problem with the same moden, but f...

Hey brad, had the same problem with the same moden, but figured out how to open the nat for multiple devices regardless of the order they were turned on. HERE'S HOW.
Message 3 of 13
Contributor

Go to your modems address to access the settings

Go to your modems address to access the settings
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Contributor

Then go to FIREWALL or ADVANCED FIREWALL. Select IP PASS...

Then go to FIREWALL or ADVANCED FIREWALL. Select IP PASS THROUGH, under the selections of dynamic, and fixed, select FIXED. After that if you want to select the devices IP address, (if you have connected your devices previously then then select the device in the drop box. At the bottom there is boxes that say days, hours, minutes, seconds. It doesn't let you put 99 in the days box so I put 30, for 30 days. Apply the settings and restart the modem, DO NOT UNPLUG THE MODEM, RESTART IT. And you are done, after it restarts check your device to see if it worked. Repeat these steps for multiple devices as you can only do this one device at a time. Hope this helps!
Message 5 of 13

Re: Open NAT for console gaming. ATT Uverse Internet with Motorola NVG589 Modem.

@ATTU-verseCare wrote:

Hi @KyosanimSam 

Sorry to hear about the issue with your Xbox connections but, we'll be glad to assist. You can setup the NVG589 to be in a passthrough mode with your device. If you have multiple devices needing Open NAT then you will need your own router, probably with uPnP support.

To setup the NVG589, here is a great post from one of our community members. The instructions are for an NVG510 but they will work with the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

I've always known about the UPnP router method, but just a hastle to buy another product to mess around with, however, may be something that I will have to resort to in the future.

Message 6 of 13

Re: Then go to FIREWALL or ADVANCED FIREWALL. Select IP PASS...

@carcruz2 wrote:
Then go to FIREWALL or ADVANCED FIREWALL. Select IP PASS THROUGH, under the selections of dynamic, and fixed, select FIXED. After that if you want to select the devices IP address, (if you have connected your devices previously then then select the device in the drop box. At the bottom there is boxes that say days, hours, minutes, seconds. It doesn't let you put 99 in the days box so I put 30, for 30 days. Apply the settings and restart the modem, DO NOT UNPLUG THE MODEM, RESTART IT. And you are done, after it restarts check your device to see if it worked. Repeat these steps for multiple devices as you can only do this one device at a time. Hope this helps!

Just did this method and is working for now, but everything that has to connect to Xbox Live is so flip floppy that one minute it can be open, and the next you'll get disconnected and then have Strict until you mess with the setting for hours again. Thanks for the temporary solution, but I'm not calling it a permenant fix just yet, as I will check back in a few days and report my progress then and see if anything changes.

Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the views and responses, but as of now, I'm not calling a permenant solution as I've noticed in my years of Xbox Live and internet connection dealings, it is impossible to consistantly have Open NAT forever. I'll be checking back and posting updates about my situation as I have assigned a "Fixed Passthrough Mode" assigned to my Xbox One and has temporarily given me Open NAT.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

@carcruz2 wrote:

I've highlighted the most important words to read in this statement.  Only one device can be the target of IP Passthrough mode at a time.  Only one device can have a port forwarded to it.  This is a restriction of NAT.  When UPnP is available, the device negotiates different ports with the UPnP router.  However, UPnP is only available if you acquire your own router.  The RG doesn't support the security-challenged UPnP protocol.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13
Contributor

After that if you want to select the devices IP address, (if you have connected your devices previously then then select the device in the drop box.???

Ali

Message 10 of 13
Contributor

How Do I Open NAT Type For My PS3 With Arris NVG589 Router?

Every time I go to play Call of Duty on my PS3, the NAT Type says either Strict or Moderate and it is difficult to connect to matches. Please Help!

Message 11 of 13
Contributor

Re: How Do I Open NAT Type For My PS3 With Arris NVG589 Router?

Every time I go to play Call of Duty on my PS3, the NAT Type says either Strict or Moderate and it is difficult to connect to matches. Please Help!

vital

Message 12 of 13
Tutor

Re: How Do I Open NAT Type For My PS3 With Arris NVG589 Router?

If you use the pass through process, do you use a static IP?

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support