For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jgsketch's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, January 13th, 2017 11:33 PM

On my 3rd router still having disconnects and slow downs to 1mbps

I have yet another tech coming out tomorrow to look at my router and other equipment. This is becoming very frustrating. I recently switched over to att thanks to a door to door salesman. I'm on the 12 plan so I assume I should be getting 12mbps download. However, multiple times a day my service will drop to 1mbps for hours at a time. Sometimes it even disconnects. The problem can always be fixed by rebooting the router. But it should not have to be like that. 

I'm on my 3rd router now. It does not seem like it should be the router, but more of a line issue. I guess I'll wait for the tech to evaluate our equipment again. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

Employee

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Ok. Hmmmm. Well I need to know a little more info if you don't mind abswering a few questions here I'll give this a shot.
1. What type of dwelling do you reside in?
2. When you lose connectivity, does the loss happen to all devices?
3. If yes, are these devices connected to the router wirelessly or by a wired Ethernet connection?
4. Where in your home is the modem located?
5. Surrounding the modem, are there any interferences? Such as a mirror, brick wall, microwave, treadmill, or speakers?
6. Ask a few people that may live near you if they have ATT internet if they're experiencing the same issues at the same times during the day.

I'll hang tight for your responses.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

sorry for the late reply. I live in a single family home. The router is located in a seperate room but the wireless conectivity is good despite location. When the speed dips to 1mbps or disconnect, it's across all devices includeing the PC which is connected by ethernet. Sometimes the dip will last an hour or more. Most times we just reboot the router inorder to get the full speed back. We had a tech come out once and they went through 1 router which did not load properly and then installed a 3rd router. He ran the latest firmware upgrade.

I know for sure a new line was installed from the box in the yard to the house and buried. I'm not sure how much new line was installed inside the house. There were so many lines already from previous services and our attic space is not very spacious for a tech to move in. I have not asked any neibors yet. But that is on my list. We did have a sales guy come through the neiborhood and he did sign up a buch of people. I remember seeing ATT trucks for like two weeks straight.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

So the tech left another router, grounded the line and replaced some connector in the box. I'm still having issues. The biggest thing he said though, the distance from the node to the box in our yard is almost at its max distance. So I can't even upgrade to a higher speed. W*F. This was no mentioned by the sales rep who came by. And I'm sure there are others that switched over recently that will have the same problems. I think there is enough issues and broken promises on speed that I should be able to get out of my contract and switch back to Comcast. I have the text messages from the sales guy assuring me that I would have similar speeds as to what I was getting. So I think this is the best route I can go at this time.

Employee

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Well. Sounds to me that we may have a few more issues to iron out here.
So when the initial install took place, did the installing tech install a new catagory 5 line to the router location? If not this may be the entire cause of the issues you're having. If certain internal wiring gets reused a lot of issues can occur.
You may want to get another ticket created if you're still having the same issues after the last tech visit. Also, give sales and service a call and mention what the precious tech mentioned that you're almost at max distance. There are bonded pair options you may be available for your service to ensure a better connection to the router. But start with that category 5 line first that's a must for a lot of AT&T's service to properly function.
Keep me updated.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I know for certain that there is a new line from the yard to the box on the side of the house. There is new cat 5 going up into the ceililng from the router. Not sure of the connection from the box to the ceiling. I have to get up in the crawl space to determine that. I remember the istall tech saying there was a rats nest of cables up there. So I would assume he used new cat 5 cable. My previous service was comcast with no phone, so no cat5 used.

I was able to work out a temp solution with ATT. They upgraded my speed to 18 for the next 48 hours. If I'm still having problems then they will allow me to get out of my contract with no fees. I plan on keeping direct tv package. So far the same issue is there. It keeps dropping to 1mbps. Didn't think the speed increase would prevent the issue from happening, but they insisted on doing that first.

Employee

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I don't understand why they would choose that option. Putting more pressure on the modem to supply a higher output speed will cause more of the same issues if not a complete loss of your service light. I'm very confused by that decision.
Like I stated before I would request another tech come out to offer a deeper investigation maybe even request a manager meet with a more experienced tech at your house. If you close down the AT&T internet you'll lose whatever offers and proms were applied when you combined your DIRECTV and AT&T.
Also you can keep the internet by going with a bonded pair circuit instead of a single pair circuit that you currently have. Our bonded pair offerings can reach 3800' supplying a 24mbps download speed.
Don't give up because you will lose the promos of the combined offer and your dtv bill will be higher than quoted. There's more that can be done when you get a good technician to come out to the house. Wish it were me. Are you located anywhere in Michigan? lol I'm sure you can't give out that info. But I can't believe their choice would be to offer you a higher speed then say we'll just drop you of your contract/service. Kind of frustrating.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

If your issues are caused by line quality or RFI, then moving to 18 Mbps will likely make things worse instead of better.  If your issues are caused by contention due to traffic generated on your network, then moving to 18 Mbps may improve things slightly.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Getting ready to issue another ticket. After be given a temporary boost, I have the same issues. Constatly dorpping to 1mbps and non connectivity. I've tried to find some of the info you listed, but not sure if I found everything.

Here are some tests I did. Turned off all other devices except for the PC which is Ethernet. Also stopped dropbox and other syncing apps. Still had the same issue. I have no gateway or router. The line comes into my modem, and I have a line going to my PC. Also got up in the attic and it looks as though there is new cat5 going from the modem to wall connector and from there to the outside wall. Can't tell if he snaked the wire down to the box on the outside of the house or not.

The modem model is 5268AC

I have Broadband1 and Service green lights. Never see Broadband2. 

Under DSL Details on modem, DSL Line (Wire Pair) : Line 1 (inner pair).

Type Down Up

User Rate19800 kbs1020 kbs
Max User Rate22144 kbs1247 kbs
Noise Margin8.3 dB11.3 dB
Attenuation27.5 dB18.3 dB
Output Power16.6 dBm12.1 dBm
ProtocolG.DMT2+ Annex A 
ChannelInterleaved 
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry {46336} Vendor {BDCM} Specific {42213 }
Rate Cap22177 kbs 
Attenuation @ 300kHz20.2 dB 
Required Impulse Noise Protection2 
Uncanceled Echon/a dBOk
VCXO Frequency Offset0.0 ppmOk
Excessive Impulse Noise0Ok

Hopefully this give more detailed information. I'm going to talk to a tech and see what they can do and mention some of the information located in this forum post. Thanks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Ok, so senior tech came out and basicaly said the distance is just too far. right at the max 5000k feet. So he dropped me to 6mbps in order to keep a steady speed. I can get a bounded pair and get 12mbps. Still not what I signed up for. Out of options at this point. Going to have to switch back to comcast internet. 

Employee

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Good. Well no good to have to go back to those guys. But the numbers you sent earlier showed the modem was stressing trying to give you the 18mbps. What was the speed you originally signed up for? Glad we were here to help. Sorry to hear about all the back and forth. If you can I would go with bonded pair for the 12mbps speed. I thought you originally had 12mbps. Take care.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.