rottielover's profile

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, September 3rd, 2011 6:45 AM

Noisy line - UV Realtime pics

Hoping to catch SomeJoe's attention...   Apologize in advance if these pic's don't come out right, first post.

Profile Page

Error Table

Interfaces

Bitloading

As I understand the documentation, this is a very noisy line...  Remarkably, I'm still pulling 11.5 ish down and 1 up on speedtest.net

What if anything should I look into as far as correcting things?

2nd question on the Channels / Streams tab:   I'm running a config as referanced in your section 3, router behind gateway.  I have a Dlink DGL-4500 "gaming" router, capable of some limited multicast routing.  Just wondering if there's anything that can be done so that I can have my cake and eat it too (see the STB's even though I have a router between my PC and the gateway)...   With the capabilities of this router, I would think I should be able to get it working...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Here's a diagram showing how you can set it up so that Channels/Streams works behind another router.

2Wire RG
 Coax ------------ DVR/STB #1
 Eth 1 ------------ STB #2
 Eth 2 ------------ STB #3
 Eth 3
 Eth 4 ----+
 | NetGear
 | GS-108T D-Link
 | Switch DGL-4500
 +---------- Eth 1 Router
 Eth 2 -------------- WAN
 Eth 3 LAN 1 -------- Computer 1
 Eth 4 LAN 2 -------- Computer 2
 Eth 5 LAN 3
 Eth 6 LAN 4 ---+
 Eth 7 |
 Eth 8 ------------------------+

NetGear GS-108T Ethernet port 8 is set to be the mirror port for Ethernet port 1.  Multicast packets coming into the NetGear switch on port 1 from the 2Wire RG are mirrored and repeated out port 8, which enters your LAN through port 4 of the D-Link.  Your computers can now see the necessary multicast report packets that the STBs sent out, yet no IPTV stream comes to the NetGear switch or the D-Link thanks to IGMP snooping on the 2Wire.

To make sure this works right, it's imperative that the RG's LAN is a different IP subnet than your D-Link's LAN.  You probably have already set it up this way, but if it's not, your computers will bypass your D-Link when attempting to reach the Internet.  If you really want to make sure nothing can bypass the D-Link, you can also configure the NetGear switch to put port 8 in a separate VLAN with a separate PVID.

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Are you on a Bonded pair? Your error table is clean, but the IP/Profile is definitely showing that may possibly need to go with a Bonded pair. As for the dlink gaming router, I really see no need to use it, because personally what is it going to do, other than if you want to separate a set of computers on the LAN behind a wall, that other devices that you do not want them to have access to.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

13 years ago

Bonded pair - no idea, how do I know? 

Extra router - QoS, Dyn DNS  not to mention I have much better control over what's behind it than I do with the 2Wire gateway...

Plus I get the added benifit of UV Realtime's "usage" counter by having all my pc's and other devices behind that router.

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, if you are having people do stuff like torrents or watching youtube, but other than that, a off the shelf router is worthless. If you want really good control for traffic shaping, check out pfSense. It is a Linux Router project, and gives more control for you, and some other things.

As for bonded pair, http://www.multichannel.com/article/454799-U_verse_Gets_Into_Bonding.php Contact David about your situation with the IP/Profile tab that you are seeing. I sent you a Private Message on how to see about getting the problem that is showing in the IP/Profile tab.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Something's not right ... at 2300' you should be getting at least 32 Mbps of max rate. Your line is getting you only 25 Mbps of max rate, which is 2 standard deviations below average for your distance (bottom 3% of all lines at your distance).

I would wager there's a bridge tap, grounding problem, or something like that. Call tech support, have them send a premises tech, have him open a helper ticket with I&R (linesmen) to come condition the line and get the max rate up.

If they can't get the max rate up, they'll have to lower the profile to 19/2 which would limit your simultaneous HD channels and maximum available internet package.

The only way to get channels/streams to work behind another router is to use a switch that has a mirroring port capability in front of your router. This is what I do at home. I'll diagram this and post it here later.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

13 years ago

Excellent idea on the mirrior port, should have thought of that...

Anyway, I just ran pingtest.net's test and got this:

I found a phone # for level 2 support, should I go ahead and call them?  Last time I tried to go thru level 1 it wasn't pretty ...   Any advice on how to speak with the tech (keywords that should be used) like "premisis tech" and "I&R" or am I just going to sound too petty...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Are you also having issues with TVs freezing or having pixelation? The best thing to do when talking with tech support is to focus on the service problems, not necessarily the technical readings. When the U-Verse premises tech gets there then you can mention the tech readings to him.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks again.  Let us know when you get that diagram done 😉

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

13 years ago

A tech will be out this Wednesday to check the line.

So I take it that your UV Realtime does not issue an IGMP join request?  It "listens in" for the multicast traffic, is that right?

The reason I ask is that my D-Link 4500 GL supports Multicast (they call it "Enable Multicast Streams") it even reports the following:

IGMP Multicast memberships

Multicast Group Address

Given that the router WAN port is seeing the streams, and I can enable this function, it stands to reason that I should be allowed to see the traffic.  However even when I put my desktop into the DMZ (unfiltered all WAN traffic hit's that port) I don't pickup the streams.  I'm guessing it's not quite as simple as turning off IGMP Snooping and letting the Multicast get turned into "broadcast" traffic on my internal swich ....

So given that I've placed the desktop into the "unrestricted group" yet I still can't see the stream, the only thing I can think of is that there is no way to disable IGMP Snooping on this router, therefore the only way to see the stream data would be for my desktop machine to issue an IGMP Join ...

Please let me know if I'm off base here.     I've got a switch on order, but I figured I'd give this router a go and see if I couldn't find the magic combo ....

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

13 years ago

I apologize, I just had a chance to skim over your PDF doc and of course, you've mentioned in there that Uverse equipment is not infact issuing a standard multicast join message....

Question: So even if you have equipment that supports multicast (IE the D-Link 4500, or you get your hands on enterprise level equiment that has IGMP Snooping), you're going to get the same results I did, and until you can mirror the port over,  does that sound about correct?       I'll qualify that by saying that on the enterprise level switch you'd have to disable IGMP snooping thus causing the multicast streams to broadcast to all ports on the device...

It's a bit disappointing, otherwise some of us could have used various equipment to put our STB's behind other devices and layout the house wiring a bit better...  oh well....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.