BeanyMan's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 5:51 PM

New Home, new AT&T customer, and need advice on internet/TV setup

Hi - My education is lacking in the networking equipment and networking knowledge realm. In addition, I'm also new to Uverse. The past 2 days I've been feverishly reading the internet on the best way to setup a router behind the 2WIRE wireless RG. However, I'm not confident I understand which solution is the best for me or how to connect it up. I've attached a PDF of my current equipment and potential layout.

As an overview:

Downstairs Family Room: 2WIRE RG, non-DVR STB, and a TV.

Upstairs Bedroom Closet: Th hub (where I believe the fiber is terminated) with all of the ethernet cables.

Upstairs Media Room: DVR, Tv, Xbox one

Downstairs Study: PC

Wireless: 2 laptops and 2 tablets.

Almost all of the rooms in my house I had ethernet cables installed, but I don't intend to hook them all up. Before I started reading about the AT&T equipment I purchased a Netgear GS105 Prosafe 5 port switch.

What I'm after is performance - both for TV and Internet. I'm not sure if I need to do the VLAN (i.e. return my GS105 and get one or two of the GS108T models) or if I can physically separate the TV and internet paths using two GS105's. I feel I'm going to need to do the VLAN. I prefer to have my TV's connected via wired ethernet, but does this mean I need a switch in each room?

Hhopefully I can get some feedback on the RG and switch placement. I appreciate any help.

sketch.jpg

sketch2.jpg

2 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

The GS105's are fine.

What you can do with the GS108Ts is to set up tagged VLANs.  That allows you to take two different ports from the RG into one GS108T, run one cable from that GS108T to another GS108T in a different room  and then be able to distribute it to different ports in the far room based on which port it came in to the first GS108T.  This is known as VLAN with tagging (the T in the GS108T stands for tagging).

This would be necessary if you wanted to connect a Wireless Router or Access Point for network traffic in one of your remote rooms.  Absent that, mixing IPTV and network traffic is normally relatively harmless.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

10 years ago

You do not want to mix uverse receivers with other internet ready devices.
Meaning 2 ports on RG will be for tvs without a switch.
as not showing multiple ethernet connections to each room... desired.

based on layout and believing TV in family room is only for Uverse receiver...
recommend DVR in downstairs family and a wireless receiver in media room allowing placement of a switch to handle other devices. This requires 1 port of RG for DVR and 1 port for WAP. The other two ports would be used for feed to media room and study.

As the WAP aka wireless access point can control 2 wireless receivers will be able to add 1 more tv to home by adding another wireless receiver at $8 per month.

Wireless receivers have a one time charge of $49 plus 8 per month. If order the u300 or u450 package can add 1 wireless receiver without 49 fee. Please search uverse bundle... for packages and discount information.

If desire to have all items hardwired how difficult to install another ethernet cable from upstairs closet to upstairs media room?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

You can often get away with mixing the IPTV and other networking traffic on the same ethernet legs, but there are some caveats:

1. Don't connect a Wireless Router or Access Point on an RG leg that also has IPTV traffic (the multicast traffic will not be handled well)
  2. Be sure not to "fill the pipe" with other networking traffic, as it can cause the multicast traffic to be lost. Usually if you're using Gigabit switches, this won't be an issue.
  3. Never, ever, put your IPTV devices behind a router.

You will likely be fine with your diagram as shown.  Except... what did you mean by "hub"?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks you two.

By hub I meant where the fiber comes into the hosue and all of the ethernet cables end up in the closet.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Oh, okay.

If you did decide to segment your IPTV from networking, you could use VLANs to do so as well.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Is there another way you would reccomend to setup my equipment?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

No, that's the way I'd probably do it myself.  Unless money was no object. Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Well...depends on how much we are talking 😉

In the top diagram the switches I drew should the switch be the GS105's that I have or the GS180T's?

Thanks for all of you help.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks JefferMC, I appreciate it.

While I'm on here acquring knowledge....why it is necessary to use VLANs for adding additional wireless routers? How is this different from adding a wired router? (I'm a mechanical engineer by degree...I just like all of this sparky stuff :p)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

In the downstairs family room I don't think you need a switch. The Ethernet cable from the RG will connect to the STB and the TV will connect to the TV via HDMI/component cables. The same for the upstairs media room. But the Xbox would plug into the switch.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.