Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Need battery for Pace 5268AC

Tutor

Need battery for Pace 5268AC

SKU: 239-0990857 for Pace 5268AC is impossible to get, why give me this modem if batteries are not available?

Message 1 of 12
Professor
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎12-18-2016 9:31 AM

Re: Need battery for Pace 5268AC

Hello @Rick_B

I assume you've already checked the official store link? http://shop.surfboard.com/pace-5268ac-gateway-8-hour-battery-sku-239-0990857/

It seems to be out of stock at the moment, which seems to be why you have posted your complaint?

If you don't mind an external situation, you may be better off going on Amazon and purchasing a UPS(uninterruptible power supply). The internal battery for the 5268AC only supplies power for the modem's internet connection and to power phone ports(U-verse Voice). In other words, only wired/cordless phones with a battery backup would be able to use the Pace in the case of a power outage. A UPS will allow the whole device to remain powered(Wi-Fi, etc.) for the duration that the UPS lasts.

I linked a UPS off of Amazon below -

https://smile.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Protector-Charging-BE600M1/dp/B01HDC236Q/

This is just an example, purchase based off of your needs(in terms of battery capacity, among other things).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Hello and thanks for your reply. It been out for stock for a while and there does not seem to be any "replacements" on Amazon, eBay or other battery suppliers. I'm disappointed in ATT for one not supplying the battery and two leaving me without phone service in a power outage. I still have the seperate Belkin that came with the preious modem ATT supplied me (both are Pace) and its the correct voltage and connectors are the same but the installer told me not to use it. I'm pretty sure he was wrong and am going to use it anyway.

Still very disappointed with ATT for supplying something that a backup battery is just not available.

Message 3 of 12
Professor

@Rick_B

If you have the Belkin REV B battery backup(the gray one), then I don't see why you would have issues with it. I hear the same thing from techs(not to use the Belkins with things like the 5268AC), but I don't see why not(someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you have the Belkin REV A(black), then you shouldn't use that one.

The Belkins are technically better than the internal batteries anyway, since the Belkins will power the whole gateway in the case of an outage, instead of just the phone. It won't last as long when having to power the whole thing, but at least you can use the gateway for other things than just calling(a.k.a. using the internet).

But yeah, you should be able to throw in your Belkin REV B battery backup without problems with your 5268AC(since it appears to be 12 V/3A as well), unless I'm missing something. The REV A backup would be a no-go though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 4 of 12
Tutor

I have the 5268AC plugged into UPS, the phone is plugged into UPS, but still lose connection on power outage or spike. The service light goes out and the two broadband lights flash red.

So, bottom line, power out, no phone or internet. Plugging into UPS battery backup does no good for me, Don't know if issue with modem or line in from AT&T. At any rate, UPS doesn't help in my case.

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert

You should not lose service when power goes out as long as the Gateway maintains power.  For testing purposes, if you unplug your UPS from the wall (making your Gateway fully work on UPS power even when there's not a power outage), do your service lights stay green?  If not, there could be some RF noise generated by your UPS when its producing power from the battery.  If so, then it sounds like the VRAD that serves your home has a UPS issue.  If that's the case, send a Private Message to @ATTU-verseCare and have them look into your situation.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12
ACE - Expert

If it's fiber, doesn't the ONT require A/C power?  If so, power out, ONT out, gateway out.  Do VRADs have UPSs?

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 12
Tutor

Tech came out and checked line and modem. All tests OK. Says likely that VRAD on same GA Power circuit as we are, so power was lost to line. That seems to indicate no UPS on VRAD, or it is not working. It is not fiber line.

I did unplug UPS from wall so went on battery power and modem continued to work properly.

Sounds like tech didn't want to spend much time on this. I didn't expect to lose phone service every time GA Power has an outage. That occurs more here than anywhere I have lived before (8 other states). If I had known, I would have kept my landline.

Now, I have to consider getting rid of phone service and just using cell phone (it isn't AT&T).

Thanks for the info. Great forum.

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

The VRAD should have battery power.  _xyzzy_ is correct, however, if you are a fiber customer, then your ONT has to have power as well.  Are you fiber, and if so, is the ONT power adapter plugged into a UPS? 

If you are not a fiber customer, then you should pursue this with @ATTU-verseCare , someone needs to fix the UPS in your local VRAD.

EDIT: I see you said "two broadband lights go red," thus you are not a fiber customer, so send a PM to ATTU-verseCare

Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Thanks for all the help. Have sent PM to ATTU-verseCare.

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

Have not heard anything from AT&T about UPS on VRAD. Don't know if anyone checked into it. I doubt it. Customer Service seems to be trying to be helpful, but I don't think they get a lot of support.

Message 11 of 12
Tutor

Been nearly a month since I asked customer service about battery backup on the VRAD either not working or non-existent. No response, so I guess they can't find out and don't plan to respond. Not very helpful.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support