NVG589: Static IPs - no longer working

Highlighted
Teacher

NVG589: Static IPs - no longer working

[ Edited ]

I got the NVG589 installed.  The installer and I setup my static IPs.  Everything worked great.  Static IPs worked, private DHCP pool worked.  Everything was awesome.  And big bonus, I could finally do a traceroute which my old AT&T 2WIRE gateway would block.

Then the installer called in and had my service upgraded from Max Turbo to Power for the faster speeds.

At that point, my static IPs stopped working.  I spent a straight 8 hours with the very unhelpful chat and phone "technical" support.

The RG and the devices with the static IPs can ping each other just fine on their static IPs.  Devices with a private DHCP address work fine.  Devices with a static IP can NOT hit anything on the Internet.

I've tried assigning multiple static IPs to multiple devices.  No luck.  I've got the IPs defined correctly in "Subnets & DHCP", and they are assigned correctly.  I've tried both static IP addressing and IP assignment via DHCP.

I see this from the RG in syslog set to debug.

This was an external host trying to hit my static IP on port 80.. (IPs removed)

Apr 25 09:40:15 dsldevice/110319212418064 - L4: action=DROP reason=DIRECTION-DOWN hook=FORWARD mark=0 IN=br1 OUT=br2 MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00:00:30:48:d4:06:34:08:00 src=(my_static_ip) DST=(external_host) LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=0 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=37953 SEQ=889856084 ACK=808417396 WINDOW=5792 RES=0x00 ACK SYN URGP=0 OPT (MSS=1460 SACKOK TSTAMP=0x046cc838e868cc15 WSCALE=7 ) 

So it would appear that the NVG589 is actively blocking the traffic coming from my static IPs.  I can see the traffic getting to my server with my static IP.  A packet capture shows the traffic comes in the server and goes back out.  The return traffic appears to hit the NVG589 and then get blocked.

I have the firewall entirely disabled.

Then I tried putting in packet filter rules to specifically pass traffic that is source or destination of my static IP and put them at the top of the chain with only those rules enabled.  No luck.

I spent all darn day on chat and on the phone.  I need some help here.  My server has been down for 24 hours now.

I guess I'll have to see if doing a cascaded router setup will work when I get home tonight.

Message 1 of 4 (479 Views)
Employee

Re: NVG589: Static IPs - no longer working

Hello alt_phil,

It is possible some unwanted changes may have been included with that order while your package was being changed. I can check on this for you and continue helping you to restore your setup. I sent you a Private Message to gather more information to check your account for the recent IP block you purchased.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (425 Views)

What this every resolved?  I have the same issue with IP passthrough enabled (without static IP's).  It seems the RG just drops the packets.  I'll check it's log when I get home.  This started behaving this way after I got IPTV boxes.  Uverse is going when Google gets to Austin.  

Message 3 of 4 (324 Views)
Teacher

In my case, it turns out it was a buggy RG.  An installer came out, replaced the RG and everything was fine.

In your case, yeah, check the firewall logs on the RG, you might have to add packet filter rules to pass the traffic.

Message 4 of 4 (294 Views)