For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hallfleming's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Monday, January 6th, 2014 4:35 PM

NVG589 NAT loopback / reflection possible?

I have several camera's behind the NVG589. I have them updating to dyndns.org. The goal being that you can resolve the name internally behind the NVG589 and externally using the same name (ie mycameraname.dyndns.org). Some camera software allows you to enter the LAN IP and external dns name if your using 3G/4G connections. It doesn't solve the problem if you connect to another LAN and want to view the camera's on your local network behind the NVG.

Being able to resolve that info is commonly refered to as NAT loopback.or LAN reflection. Several routers can do this but looking through the forums and reading the NVG589 docs, I don't see a specific yes/no. I know I can dumb the NVG down and use my own router but I'd rather not if someone knows how to do this on the NVG.

Thanks in advance! 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi hallfleming,

Sorry for the late response. With our routers, we do not  have the ability for NAT loopback. The closest thing you can come to it is Passthrough mode, which will assign your device the public IP address. 

Instructions for that can be found here.

Hope this answers your question.

-David T

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the reply and clear answer to the question.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

10 years ago

IP passthrough mode will NOT work with your router behind the NVG589 (unless one has a WAN IP address, aka internet IP address, to assign to one's router behind the NVG589).

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

This is a more recent thread, with a possible solution to the NVG589 loopback problem:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Will-using-your-own-router-allow-loopback-connections/m-p/4138178

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

9 years ago

Just wondering...why did someone rate my post with one star?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

My guess would be that it got one star because it doesn't make any sense.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

9 years ago

NAT loopback doesn't work.

One needs to assign another (WAN) IP directly to something to hit it from the internet.

Nothing diffcult about that.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

True, the NVG589 does not support NAT loopback.

What this has to do with whether IP Passthrough will work or not, I have no idea.

The statement "One needs to assign another (WAN) IP directly to something to hit it from the internet." is equally perplexing.  If you turn on IP Passthrough to a router, that router will be given the public WAN address from the RG when it asks for it via DHCP and incoming traffic not meant for the IPTV devices will be sent to that router.  Okay, some routers may have trouble with the RG's DHCP implementation and need to configure the address statically to keep the connection reliable.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

9 years ago

Very simply.

IP passthrough doesn't work (well/ easily) on most ATT routers.

Instead of IP passthrough get a second (WAN) IP and assign it to second router which can be done with ATT stock routers easier than IP passthrough.

Yet again what is difficult to comprehend about this?

Lets just end it here.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@schnappi wrote:

Very simply.

IP passthrough doesn't work (well/ easily) on most ATT routers.

IP passthrough works fairly well on the RG's that support it (the Motorola/Arris branded ones).  On the 2WIRE/Pace branded ones, the equivelent functionality is called DMZplus.  It works fairly well too.

However, AT&T's RG firmware seems to have a consistant problem with intepreting the DHCP spec like everyone else and renewal replies come from a non-standard address.  Some consumer routers are okay with this, some aren't.  This applies for any reason your router is configured to use a DHCP address (i.e. whether its in IP Passthrough mode or not, though very few would recommend that configuration...).  It could also cause problems for other equipment that used DHCP to obtain an adress directly from the RG.

So... I'll go for "easily."  "Well," not so much.  And your original post still makes little sense, due to the "unless one has a WAN IP address, aka internet IP address, to assign to one's router behind the NVG589," since every U-verse customer is assigned at least one WAN IP address.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.