goober99's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, June 6th, 2014 2:02 PM

NVG589 Bottom Status Light and Button Description?

I recently had U-verse installed using the Motorola NVG586 Gateway.  I can acces the "Administrator Guide" through many online locations, but I cannot find a description for the bottom status light on the front of the device, nor the button underneath it that seems to be associated with the light.  The button has two little arrows on forming a circle and I don't know what that symbolizes. 

This light has started blinking red (rapidly) and when I push the button underneath it, it changes the light to green.  The light stays steady greeen for a few moments, then flasshes green and eventually goes back to flashing red.  The device appears to be functioning, but wireless devices using the gateway occassionally "freeze" trying to access the internet.  I have run the diagnostics and everything "passess."  I have unplugged-replugged the device and also done a reboot.  The red light eventually comes back on flasshing.

Please help -- I would really like to know what the button and status light is for and why its flashing red.  Thanks.  Mark

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

goober99 - I do not know, but, it sounds like the broadband signal indicator. Flashing red is loss of signal. Consistent with freezing, Flashing green is trying to connect.

Why not call in. Mr. autotest will test it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply aviewer.  It is not the Broadband light.  It is an unlabeled status light.  I can't find documentation ANYWHERE (AT&T, Motorola, etc.) on exactly what this light /button means.  Here is picture:

NVG589.gif

I will try AT&T customer/technical support when I get home tonight, but in the mean time, does anybody have any info?

Thanks again, Mark.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

goober99 - That is a conundrum. I did google for the info & scanned the moto manual & it has nothing. Very odd.

I do have two more guesses. You can check out the second one.

1) I see it is a pair bonded device. Perhaps it has something to do with the two broadbands working together.

2) the manual mentions WEP, but no details. It may be the WEP button. You can see if it works -
Start with a wireless device that is not connected
Push the WEP button on the device, then the mystery button.
See if the device joins the network by discovering the security.
If that does not work reverse the order.
Of course make sure security and WEP are enabled on the modem, first.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

aviewer -- Excellent suggestions! 

With respect to the "pair bonded" broadband, I am only utilizing Broadband 1.  Installation tech said he only needed one for service to my house due to strong signal strength.  From what he told me, the Broadband 2 would be paired if needed to get the required bandwidth to meet my needs.

Regarding your suggestion about WEP -- I think you meant to say Wireless Protected Setup (WPS).  I went into the configuration setup for the Wireless and turned the WPS from "On" to "Off" and the light immediately extinguished when I "saved" the changes.  I turned it back on and within a couple of minutes, the green light came on, then blinked, then turnded blinking red.  I turned it back off.  All my household devices are successfully connected so no need to use this feature.  However, it is weird that it seems to be constanly "searching" for a device to connect with.

I went back to the Administrators Manual and searched for "WPS" and I did find references to how to enable/disable.  On page 93, there is reference to a WPS status, but it only shows "Flashing Green" and "Off" as options.  No reference to steady grean of any type of red status.  Oh well....

I still don't know why the light came on all by itself after about a month of nothing.  I wonder if is a symptom of overall problems with the device?

Anyway, thank you again for the help!  Truly appreciated!

Mark

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

@goober99 = I do not know how pair bonding works, but I think it works all the time. Not part time. I would like @mythoughts to comment. Did you say you were having problems.

You are correct. I did mean WPS. (like inadvertently saying composite instead of component) Sorry about that.

I did mean for you to disconnect one of your devices to see if it will connect with WPS using the button and light.

It is very disconcerting if it us turning itself on after yo turn it off in the GUI. I believe the default is to be turned off & it should stay that way unless you have constant visitors that you want to connect easily.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have this light blinking red after I turned on WPS and am using a repeater ( WN2500RP).  The repeater still works but the blinking red light on the router makes me think there's a problem

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Fortunately, the OP has his answer as to what the button and light is (the tech who "installed" my gateway had no idea. I did... one of the reasons I wanted the thing! But anyway...

I have the same problem with mine. When I try to pair a device (a printer most recently) the light flashes green, then soon goes to flashing red. The printer times out with an error, and the red light on the gateway continues to flash forever. If I go into wireless settings and turn WPS off, the light goes out. I can turn it back on, and the light stays off. But the next time I press it... same thing happens.

I have reset the router with the red button on the back. I have unplugged the router and let it sit for hours, then plugged it back in. No change. Another "tech" comes out tomorrow to look at it. I hope this guy is better trained than the first guy who literally plugged the dang thing in, and said, "there you go!"

If anybody has any idea what's going on with the WPS, I'd like to hear about it!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I figured it out. Turned on my Wi-Fi for the first time today (I was using an AirPort Extreme in bidge mode for Wi-Fi) and since I was setting up a printer I turned on WPS. Problems insued and so I went a diffrent route other than WPS. Later in the evening I noticed the blinking red light (my modem is in an out-of-the-way place). "Red light bad" I told myself, but what did this go to. There was no label by the light or the button that was below it. Scamble to the internet and I relize, it's the WPS light and since my printer set up failed it was flashing red.  

If you go into your Modem set up, 192.168.1.254 was mine and probably yours, click "Home Networks" then "Wireless". You may need to sign in but it shows you where to get the password. At the bottom is "Wireless Protected Setup (WPS)".  I'll bet yours is set to "ON". Set it to "OFF" and save. The light should go away. 

If you had any WPS printers you may just have to set them up with the Wi-Fi name and password, but other than that nothing should be lost. 

I hope this works for you, it did for me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So my question is, is the WPS light supposed to stay on solid green?   I purchased a range extender, turned the WPS feature "on" for the gateway as is mentioned previously, go to the extender and push the WPS button, then "within two minutes" as the extender manual says, go back to the gateway and push the WPS button.  The light blinks green for awhile, then goes on solid green.   Same on the extender, blinks green then turns solid green.

Ok, great, one would think, success is at hand.

After awhile though, 10-15 minutes, the WPS light on the gateway goes out.  Nothing, no light, just out.  The extender, however, the light is on solid green.......two lights on the extender, actually, one for power and the other for WPS.   Reading the manual for the extender, one is too think everything is fine.............if the extender loses signal the WPS light blinks or even goes amber and even red.......................

But the light going out on the gateway confuses me.   You'd think it would stay on. 

Maybe it only comes on if the gateway is actually streaming data.............which i only do when watching Netflix on the TV's which are in other rooms...............and the fartherest TV keeps buffering, hence why i bought the extender to see if that might fix the problem.   Which did not, but i think it got better, it's hard to tell really................and i am not sure if the thing (extender) is really working or not to start with.

I'm say one thing, the information published on this Arris NVG589 which i see is really a Motorola product, just flat out sucks and AT&T hotline techs are no help whatsoever.  

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I've spent most of the day trying to install a Netgear AC1200.  I have AT&T U-verse NVG589 router.  Have searched everywhere for the location of the WPS button on the router to no avail.  I have found out about all the lights and their functions but nothing on the button under the lights.  I turned the power to the AC1200 on as directed and when the light turned green pushed the WPS button.  I then went to the NVG router and pushed the button above the (2) arrows.  The light above the button came on flashing green and then turned solid green.  It stayed on a short time then went out.  I moved the AC1200 extender to the hallway and all the lights are green.  Don't know if it is actually working.  I've given up for the day.  The instructions that came with the Netgear AC1200 are not a lot of help.  I also am very disgusted and disappointed that I cannot find out what the button on the AT&T router is for or how  to use it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.