lisfolks's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 2:28 PM

NVG510 Bridge Mode???

Just switched from DSL (Motorola 2210) to UVerse (Motorola NVG510). I set the 2210 into bridge mode and ran my home network from an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). I have some complex configurations on my network and figured I'd be able to do the same thing with the NVG510. However, it seems the NVG510 uses different terminology than I am used to.

Under Firewall/IP Passthrough, I set:

Allocation Mode to 'Passthrough'

Passthrough Mode to 'DHCPS-Fixed'

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address to the AEBS' MAC address

And, I left the Lease at the default 10 minutes.

On the AEBS, under Internet/Internet Connection, I switched from 'PPPoE' to 'Ethernet'. I left the Ethernet WAN Port value at 'Automatic (Default)'. And Connection Sharing is set to 'Share a public IP address'.

This apparently is not enough, though. The AEBS reports that the "Wi-Fi base station does not have a valid IP address", and that there is a "Conflicting DHCP Range".

How do I turn off the DHCP on the NVG510? And, what are the correct settings to put the NVG510 into bridged mode?

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I'm Back!!!

After months of using just the NVG510 as my router, decided to put my foot back in the water (NVG510 in Passthrough mode again).

Back story: I was a DSL subscriber using the Netgear FVS318G then upgraded to the Cisco RVS4000 before getting tricked into upgrading from DSL to U-Verse. Could never get the FVS318G working with the NVG510 but the RVS4000 worked at first but after a month would need resetting weekly, then daily, then every couple of hours. I switched back to the NVG510 only but losing loopback, VPN and other neat features provided by every other vender.

(BTW: Tested both the FVS318G and RVS4000 on a friend's (old) DSL and they both work there.)

In January I purchased a cheap WRT54GL and installed an older stable build of DD-WRT on the router and put the NVG510 back in Passthrough mode. I ran it for a month with absolutely no issues. It even fixed that annoying problem of side (ad) banners timing out and showing a "can't display webpage" error.

I was so confident that I installed that router in a family member's Comcast setup (to remotely manage their setup) for them and it's working great for them (and me).

I then purchased an Asus RT-N16 (faster processor) and installed another later version on it and have been playing with it since the first of Feb. No problems. Everythings working (again).

What I have tested and found satisfactory:

1. VPN out

2. VPN from Android phone to router allowing me to access home resources.

3. VPN to my unsecured FTP server.

4. Port forwarding to get to my FTPS (secure server).

5. Port forwarding to get to my secure home automation/security server.

6. Loopback.

7. Syslogging router logs to a linux server.

What AT&T needs to do:

1. Get the passthrough mode to pass down the WAN IP like it says it's supposed to do in the right hand banner description of command behavior.

In the coming weeks I'll be turning on IPv6 and see how my intranet, the NVG510 and my router behave.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks! I was able to use this info to use my Belkin router.

A couple of questions: Do the beginning and ending IP addresses have to be the same?

- Under Home Network, then Subnets & DHCP, I set the following:

Device IPv4 Address:

DHCPv4 Start Address:

DHCPv4 End Address:  

My Sonos music player does NOT work with the Belkin router and I was hoping to be able to connect it directly to the UVerse router.  Can my beginning address be 192.168.1.1 and end with 192.168.1.2?

I've not been able to get my Sonos player to work.  Wondering if it might be the player itself but that's another post for which I will search.

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

If you want to use your Belkin router's DHCP you will have to set your NVG510 to a different subnet.

NVG510's Device IPv4 Address=192.168.1.1

Submask of 255.255.0.0

DHCP Start Address 192.168.123.2

DHCP Ending Address 192.168.123.4                           (had this way to only to test some test equipment)

Passthru mode DHCPS-Fixed with the mac address of my router.

My Router's address is 192.168.123.1 with its DHCP handing out addresses in the 192.168.123.80-120 and any static addresses use 192.168.123.20-40.

This allows me to access both NVG510 and my router's web page by addressing their IPv4 addresses.

All servers can access the internet and outside in can access via VPN, FTPS or any other access methods I've set up.

Just make sure after you configure eveything you power off/on the NVG510 and wait for it to detect and logon before you power on your router then your PCs. Give each layer a couple of minutes each before moving onto the next.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

"Can my beginning address be 192.168.1.1 and end with 192.168.1.2?"

Yes, @peteajr, you can set the NVG510 to have multiple addresses and attach multiple devices to it. The problem is that the IP address setup on your NVG510 must be different than the IP setup on your Belkin. Remember that part that says for example: "if the RG is 192.168.1.x, the AEBS is 192.168.2.x"? That's going to prevent your Sonos from connecting with the other stuff on the Belkin side.

What exactly do you mean when you say the "Sonos music player does NOT work with the Belkin router"? What happens when you're using it with the Belkin? Try following the instructions at the following link, as you've likely changed your Belkin settings a bit to make it work with the NVG510:

Controller recognizes components but is not able to connect

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi all, Just been force-marched to uverse, and got stuck with this NVG510. Have read all through this thread and been trying to implement the IP Passthrough work around for my Belkin N600DB. When I get to to firewall settings, the dhcps box is greyed out (can't change) nor can I input the Belkins fixed mac address. Same when I try to change Public IPv4 add., subnet, ect. Says the software is v9.0.6h2d21, and datapump? is vA2pD035b.d23i Went to Mot's web site to see if ther was updates to no avail. Have spent two days on this crap; maybe it's time for xfinity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

"When I get to to firewall settings, the dhcps box is greyed out (can't change) nor can I input the Belkins fixed mac address. Same when I try to change Public IPv4 add., subnet, ect."

Is your "Allocation Mode" set to "Passthrough", @fedup4sure? That setting should allow you to select "DHCPS-fixed" from the "Passthrough Mode" dropdown, enter the "Passthrough Fixed MAC Address", and edit the "Passthrough DHCP Lease" settings (if desired).

For the other settings, make sure your "Public Subnet Enable" is set to "On" - if you want to edit those. That's optional, though. You can stick with just the "Private LAN Subnet" values for a typical configuration.

If you already have the right dropdown values selected, and you still can't edit the associated values, you might try a factory reset. Failing that, you might want to request a replacement or further assistance from AT&T.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I switched to u-verse recently and it came with this gateway.  I quickly discovered it didn't have an option like "bridge mode" I was used to seeing.  I read and tried many internet fixes that did not work.  I was going to be satasfied if my third party router (not the AT&T gateway) could get the public ip assigned to it instead of the NVG510's private ip pool and if I could verify that no ports were being blocked.  I have succeeded and this is what I did; sorry no step-by-step instructions, I'm sure you guys can figure that part out:

made sure my third party router was not using the same subnet for its LAN as the motorola one (anything but 192.168.1.xxx)

disabled the motorola's wireless networking

changed the motorola's home netowrk DHCP to only have 1 ip address avaliable in the start and end section (although in-theory you could skip this step)

in IP passthough settings on the motorola used 'passthrough' under allocation mode and 'DHCP-DYNAMIC' under passthough mode (I have never seen an internet fix use the dynamic option and this might explain why no one seems to have any real results with this, and yes I tried the other options too)

saved settings and let the motorola restart its self

went into my third party router and set its internet settings to 'no login required', 'get ip address dynamically from ISP', and 'get DNS automatically from ISP'

saved settings and let the third party router restart

voila!; when the third party router came back up it had the public ip address!!

now the final test; testing for blocked ports.  used a torrent program that has a port-checking feature in its configuration (previous network configurations on the gateway and router had produced "port is closed") this time, "port is open"!

I declare success; my third party router has been assigned a public ip address on the WAN and the motorola gateway is not blocking any ports

easy... 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm on the "9.0.6h2d21" software version on a  NVG510, and IP Passthrough doesn't work... but I know why:

The subnet mask given to my router via DHCP is "255.255.255.255", which is f^*#ing impossible.  A /32 subnet (if you can call it that) doesn't have any space for hosts.  In order to have a network, you need space for at least two hosts... yours and at least one peer (like your ISP's router).

I did the math, and manually configured by WAN interface... only changing the subnet mask to define the smallest network that hold both my previously-DHCP assigned IP and the gateway.  That one change did it, and now the public IP on my non-AT&T router works like it should.

I tried calling AT&T technical support to report the problem and ask for a fix.  Unfortunately, this went way over the head of the nice Indian technical support person.  He just told me to push a paperclip into the little hole in the back of the unit for 10 seconds (sigh).

I'm not leasing my IP address from the DHCP server, so I have every reason to expect my IP will be assigned to someone else... causing me an outage.  I'd rather the IP Passthrough just work properly and give the the correct subnet mask, but getting the Death Star to listen to the Little People is a likely exercise in futility... no?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

But for your non-pseudo bridge mode - does it resolve the DNS timeout issues the same way the other method does?

And, shouldn't the short DNS timeout problem with this modem have been resolved by now? I mean, it's been going on since 2011...

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I agree; AT&T should work with Motorola to solve their customers' concerns about this.  Honestly, I haven't had any of these DNS timeout issues.  This is just a guess but, some people might be having problems like this because of a setting on their routers and not the motorola gateway. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.