lisfolks's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 2:28 PM

NVG510 Bridge Mode???

Just switched from DSL (Motorola 2210) to UVerse (Motorola NVG510). I set the 2210 into bridge mode and ran my home network from an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). I have some complex configurations on my network and figured I'd be able to do the same thing with the NVG510. However, it seems the NVG510 uses different terminology than I am used to.

Under Firewall/IP Passthrough, I set:

Allocation Mode to 'Passthrough'

Passthrough Mode to 'DHCPS-Fixed'

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address to the AEBS' MAC address

And, I left the Lease at the default 10 minutes.

On the AEBS, under Internet/Internet Connection, I switched from 'PPPoE' to 'Ethernet'. I left the Ethernet WAN Port value at 'Automatic (Default)'. And Connection Sharing is set to 'Share a public IP address'.

This apparently is not enough, though. The AEBS reports that the "Wi-Fi base station does not have a valid IP address", and that there is a "Conflicting DHCP Range".

How do I turn off the DHCP on the NVG510? And, what are the correct settings to put the NVG510 into bridged mode?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi - after many VERY frustrating weeks, I was able to set up my NVG510 per the instructions on this site (http://www.ron-berman.com/2011/11/24/motorola-nvg510-help-page-for-att-u-verse-users/). Seems to be working (it has been a couple of weeks). But I have one issue - I don't know how to get to the NVG510 admin interface from behind my second router (i.e. the router that the NVG510 is passing through to). Is my only option to connect directly (physically) to the NVG510? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Make certain that the lan side of your router is not using the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  If it is, change to 192.168.0 or .2, then point your browser to 192.168.1.254.  This is the NVG510's lan side IP.  Also, if you have purchased multiple public addresses form ATT, then the last one from the list they gave you should.  These are different from the broadband IP address.  Example, the system I just got through setting up the "public addresses the ATT gave me to use started with 99.30.xxx.xxx it included the wan side public address, the lan public address, and four additional public addresses.  ATT said I could set up the sub-net and dhcp to these and the vpn would work.   I had to set manual passthrough to the wan side MAC address of my router and use the broadband IP which was 108.xxx.xxx.xxx. 

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

The long-awaited firmware update is apparently now arriving. See this post:

Re: DNS on the NVG510

Summary: if you're suddenly getting error messages, try rebooting your router and NVG510. If everything works, check out the firmware version on the NVG510: 9.0.6h0d48 was the previous version. 9.0.6h2d21 is what's showing now. 6 months after it was due... wow! Hopefully we'll find it was worth the wait!

Oh, and still no bridge mode. I guess IP Passthrough is the new bridge mode where this gateway is concerned...

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Okay, my testing shows this upgrade doesn't fix the DNS issues; however, some other posts suggest good news for PPTP users:

Re: PPTP VPN fails to work after installing Motorolla NVG510

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/DNS-on-the-NVG510/m-p/3253087/highlight/false#M34018

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Well..  I've finally had enough (for awhile). After almost 10 months of IP passthru to a Cisco RVS4000 VPN router, I'm taking a breather. I had the RVS4000 in operation for about 5 months (before) on DSL in TRUE Bridge mode without a problem. Switching to U-Verse with the NVG510 in Passthru I can run for a month or two then one day I can't access certain websites (like yahoo.com) without reseting both the NVG510 and RVS4000. I'll run with the NVG510 for 2-3 months to see if my "outages" are strictly isolated to the NVG510 (and or AT&T service since AT&T's techs always point to my RVS4000 as the likely culprit).

What I'm giving up by using only the NVG510 is the ability to "loopback" to access my FTP server and security/home automation system, which currently uses a single interface from an iPhone/Anrdroid and VPN aceess to my home network (provided by my VPN router). I hope to add VPN duties to my FTP server (if I'm stuck in this configuration). The other major feature I'm losing is the ability to monitor attacks and probes to my intranet routed to a syslog server. This has helped me to be more proactive in securing my machines from outside attacks.

I'll continue to monitor this thread to see how eveybodies doing and to see if a true Bridge Mode becomes a reality.   

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

I've had to reboot my router and NVG510 every few months. Whenever you have to do it, check the logs on the NVG510. It looks like AT&T is remotely updating the NVG510 from time to time. After a remote update, everything needs to be restarted, but there's nothing that tells you that - it just starts working erratically.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hello,

I am about to have u-verse Internet and Voice installed (upgrading from separate DSL and analog phone service from ATT).  I have a large AEBS home network, and plan to utilize bridge / ip passthrough mode on the NVG510 modem / router.  My question is, will setting up the NVG510 in bridge / passthrough mode in any way affect u-verse voice and / or u-verse TV service [assuming I add  TV services at a later date]?

Thx,
Peter

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

For those still having troubles connecting to systems inside your network from the outside (like web servers, remote desktop, etc), the thing that worked for me was the disable all the advanced firewall options.

http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/dosprotect.ha

Since I am not using the NVG as a firewall and instead passing it through to my E2000, turning it off allowed the access I needed.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Please don't even me started with this mess. They have been giving me the run around with this gateway for a week now and I need this to work for my job and apparently they don't understand English or something...no pun intended. They really have me ready to go else where. I have internet access with this gateway, however I too need it bridged out and this is so I can add a router to it. So they have yet another technician coming out tomorrow to tell me the same thing...I'm flipping on them this time...so sick of this crap!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I asked that question and they said that "once you are on Uverse you can't go back to DSL." and they are so-called getting rid of this antiquated technology...however they need to cool their heels...the old stuff works way better than this new combo crap they have going on that they are throwing out like hot cakes!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.