lisfolks's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 2:28 PM

NVG510 Bridge Mode???

Just switched from DSL (Motorola 2210) to UVerse (Motorola NVG510). I set the 2210 into bridge mode and ran my home network from an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). I have some complex configurations on my network and figured I'd be able to do the same thing with the NVG510. However, it seems the NVG510 uses different terminology than I am used to.

Under Firewall/IP Passthrough, I set:

Allocation Mode to 'Passthrough'

Passthrough Mode to 'DHCPS-Fixed'

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address to the AEBS' MAC address

And, I left the Lease at the default 10 minutes.

On the AEBS, under Internet/Internet Connection, I switched from 'PPPoE' to 'Ethernet'. I left the Ethernet WAN Port value at 'Automatic (Default)'. And Connection Sharing is set to 'Share a public IP address'.

This apparently is not enough, though. The AEBS reports that the "Wi-Fi base station does not have a valid IP address", and that there is a "Conflicting DHCP Range".

How do I turn off the DHCP on the NVG510? And, what are the correct settings to put the NVG510 into bridged mode?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

ok i did some more experimenting.  i put the at&t DNS servers in manually on my airport extreme.  and it seems like it's fine.   the only time DNS fails is when the nvg510 provides the DNS servers.     when i manually specified the DNS servers on my airport extreme then it works fine.  

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, the NVG510 has known DNS issues. The DNS values listed in the settings are fine, but the NVG510 doesn't use them correctly. Putting them into your setup manually works great. Another thing they were supposed to fix with a firmware update promised to be put in late last December - that we haven't seen yet...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Here's what we were able to do to get multiple static public IP's to pass through a Motorola NVG510 to our own router with AT&T U-verse:

1) Get your static public IP(s) and subnet information from AT&T, this is NOT what is listed under the Broadband tab in the NVG510 router, you may have to call AT&T to find out if they didn't send you the information when you signed up.

For the following examples, let's say you ordered 5 static IP's:

Static Public IP(s): 108.77.55.1 through 108.77.55.6 (I know that counts as 6 IP's and not 5, but read ahead)

Static Public Subnet: 255.255.255.248 (or /29).

Your entire subnet range is actually 108.77.55.0 through 108.77.55.7 (because .0 is used as network/subnet address, .7 is used for broadcast, and 1 out of the other 6 IP's are reserved to be used as a gateway with this U-verse setup).

2) Access the NVG510 web management interface and go to "Home Network" then "Subnets & DHCP"

3) You can probably leave the private address to whatever you want (however, depending on your router that you will have connected behind the NVG510, you may or may not have conflicts if you set it up on the same subnet. It's probably safer to NOT have the NVG510's private address set on the same subnet as any other subnet your other router is using.

4) Using the example IP's above, set the following:

Public Subnet: Enable/On

Public IPv4 Address: 108.77.50.6 (last usable is what we used, but you can probably use any of the usable IP's .1 through .6)

Public IPv4 Subnet: 255.255.255.248

Public Subnet DHCPv4 Start Address: 108.77.50.5 (Just did this to satisfy the router saying it can't stay blank, it can probably be any of the usable IP's)

Public Subnet DHCPv4 End Address: 108.77.50.5 (Just did this to satisfy the router saying it can't stay blank, it can probably be any of the usable IP's)

Primary DHCP Pool: Public

5) On your own router, you'll need to change the WAN/external connection to the following:

Connection type: Manual

External IP: 108.77.50.1

External Subnet: 255.255.255.248

External Gateway: 108.77.50.6

* You can also add in the additional public IP's into your routers external configuration as secondary IP's if it allows so, using the same subnet and gateway.
6) Now you'll just need a cable going from the NVG510's yellow/local ethernet ports to your own routers WAN/external port.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

When they initially tried selling me U-Verse and mentioned they'd be sending me a new modem, I *specifically* asked if it was compatible with my Airport Extreme, an dI was told "Oh, yes, and if you have any problems setting it up, just call us and we'll be able to walk you through it." Which turned out to be a LIE.

I am going through this right now, and SO frustrated.

I don't quite understand all the instructions on this thread, but I'm going to try to make it work.

This is after they failed to mention that my DSL was going to be deactivated a week before the U-Verse was to be installed. Completely ridiculous.
~T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Ok I am a little lost on the instruction on how to do this.  Had to bridge my DSL modem before but att walked me all the way through.  Tried contacting them but they would not help me to do it this time.  So can someone please explain to me how to bridge my nvg510 with my netgear wnr834b.  I am finding nothing helpful on google that I can understand.

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I've been trying to bridge my 2701 to the uverse 3800 gateway. I have been successful in doing so but cannot access my security cameras remotely anymore. I had 2 phone lines with dsl service on both. Then I switched my main line to uverse tv & internet (without the voip phone). Well they turned my dsl off my second line!!!!! This was running my cameras and 2 ethernet computers. I have been calling them for over a week, and they transfer me around and then disconnect me. Now i have 2 computers not even hooked up because the 3800hg only has 4 lan ports and they are using some of them already. They also said dsl is not available in my area

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@qb55 wrote:

I've been trying to bridge my 2701 to the uverse 3800 gateway. I have been successful in doing so but cannot access my security cameras remotely anymore. I had 2 phone lines with dsl service on both. Then I switched my main line to uverse tv & internet (without the voip phone). Well they turned my dsl off my second line!!!!! This was running my cameras and 2 ethernet computers. I have been calling them for over a week, and they transfer me around and then disconnect me. Now i have 2 computers not even hooked up because the 3800hg only has 4 lan ports and they are using some of them already. They also said dsl is not available in my area

If you're talking about a 2WIRE 2701, don't waste your time, just buy a switch like this one :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122111  $50 after rebate. A lot fewer headaches than trying to "dumb-down" the 2701 to act as a switch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Fun, looking like I now get to go through all this. 😞

Going from a SpeedStream DLS Modem to the NVG510

I'm using DynaDNS for a testing server, and this Testing Server is also the DNS For the house (That way any computer in the house can access my internal pages)  

My Connection has been bouncing up and down all day as I try different configurations, time to reread this thread & have another go.

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Well, I dumbed down the 2701. Changed the router name to the same as the 3800, gave it another address, used the same network key as the 3800, enabled bridge mode and VOILA!! All cameras working except my Foscam on 3g when I'm away from my wireless at home. Just gotta figure that out. Will the netgear you mentioned let me do that?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Bridging the NVG with another router (mine is a Cisco E3200)

After these instructions I had to change my Cisco to STATIC and manually add the 10.0.0.2 to the Cisco settings and add the 10.0.0.1 to the gateway. I put in Open DNS numbers and all worked well.  

My router did not work in DHCP because it was being assigned the NVG's IP wan address. That did not work at all.

Now I am able to bring up the NVG510's web page through my Cisco, which is great.

As a side note, the instructions say to go to 192.168.1.254 after setting the ip to 10.0.0.1 and saving. Since the router's ip was changed you need to use the 1.0.0.1 number instead of the 192 number.

So far working very well, hope nothing changes.....

http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21979/kw/nvg510%20bridge%20mode/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzNzYyMjQyOS9zaWQvZk1pRSpHWWs%3D

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.