A72CUTLAS's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 5:34 PM

NGV589

When will the average Joe be able to buy/trade for the new ngv589? I hear it has Gigabit ethernet and 802.11n wireless. Are there stipulations as to who can get it?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for responding. I have the Uverse package, TV/internet/phone and want to replace/upgrade my 3801 with the 589. How can I make this so?Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have Uverse only for internet. That's right... no TV, no phone. I'm like the anti-christ, but that's how we roll here. We don't watch TV, and we have no landline.

I have a 3800 gateway. It sucks, and over the past 40 or so years that it seems like we've had it, it has become intermittent and has stopped playing nice with my modern hardware. ATT Customer support tells me that they can only send a new 3800 to me. They transferred me to sales to see about procuring a modern device. Sales (billing, actually) told me that I have to talk to customer support. Really? How do I stop the madness, and get myself a 589 so I can join the modern world? If this level of awesome support keeps up, I'll be switching providers. But to give ATT one more chance, excatly what should I do to swap out for a modern gateway?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@darelldd wrote:

I have Uverse only for internet. That's right... no TV, no phone. I'm like the anti-christ, but that's how we roll here. We don't watch TV, and we have no landline.

I have a 3800 gateway. It sucks, and over the past 40 or so years that it seems like we've had it, it has become intermittent and has stopped playing nice with my modern hardware. ATT Customer support tells me that they can only send a new 3800 to me. They transferred me to sales to see about procuring a modern device. Sales (billing, actually) told me that I have to talk to customer support. Really? How do I stop the madness, and get myself a 589 so I can join the modern world? If this level of awesome support keeps up, I'll be switching providers. But to give ATT one more chance, excatly what should I do to swap out for a modern gateway?

I have a 3800 when I got when installed, 5 years ago.  Still works pretty much as well as when I got it, though I have always used a separate WiFi router instead of depending on the gateway's WiFi.

How is yours "not playing nice" with your modern hardware?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I have a 3800 when I got when installed, 5 years ago.  Still works pretty much as well as when I got it, though I have always used a separate WiFi router instead of depending on the gateway's WiFi.

The key is the WiFi router, for sure. After a bunch of internet research I have yet to come upon the definitive way to create a bridge. As far as I know, the 3800 is not truly bridgeable. Has ATT created a "how-to" sheet to make this happen with a modern router? Or do they expect us to remain satisfied with G?

How is yours "not playing nice" with your modern hardware?

It'll drop the WiFi connection randomly every day or two. My old hardware works with it rock-solid. And honestly, so does most of my newer stuff. Buy my Macbook Pro that works everywhere else in the WiFi world just fine, does not stay stuck to this signal. Why can't ATT offer us a modem alone, and we supply the router? All I ask for is reliable Wifi N. Is that too much to ask when I'm paying for UVerse? N comes standard from all the other providers in the area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.