For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hav's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 5:33 PM

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

get and replace with this modem, a lot of good reviews

{commercial link removed}

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Alrightie,folks ! I had been having a VERY similar problem for over 3 weeks.ATT sent a tech out to the house to check for a bad connection outside of the house.Found all was okay.The tech came inside the house & we tried my old router with my new routers power supply and guess what...it worked again ! This was after ATT told me my router was bad so,I went and bought a new one.Well,for some reason...the new one wouldn't receive the signal either.But,once we tried the old router with that new routers power supply...all was fixed ! So,before spending a bunch of $$$ on a new modem/router......TRY A NEW POWER SUPPLY ! Check ebay/amazon.Make sure the power supply works with your model though !

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Try this...

If you are using Windows 7  

Go to control panel and locate 'Network and Internet'

At the left I believe you will see a dropdown with ETHERNET

Left click.

Click Adapter Options where you see Wireless Network Connecters.

Right click  on it.

At the dropdown left click on Diagnose.

Problems should resolve automatically if problem is in your wireless Wi-Fi connection. If they don't resolve you possible have a bad separate wireless access point or another modem that is not the correct modem for your internet. If you happen to be using U-verse this is common. Their wireless router works best with their system but it must be rented and cannot be purchased. The only good thing is that they will replace for free should something go bad with it.

Good luck...Hope this helps.

If you are a Windows 10 user,  Windows 10 Settings will appear in STARTUP . Just click on that to begin the diagnosis shortcut.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

simimanron-In case you didn't notice...this problem happened MONTHS ago ! The problem was resolved by simply getting a new power supply for the router ! ATT,though-tried to sell me a new $100 router ! hey "ran a test" and said that that was the problem ! I purchased a new router from ebay for $27 but,this router also needed (2) other separate components attached to it for it to work (Though I hadn't known this when I purchased it.I figured that since it was made by ATT that it should've worked. Turns out it was actually a router that they had never really used (ATT)) Well,I decided to try the old router one more time but,this time,I connected it with the new routers power supply...and,guess what ? It worked again (Though,I still think the router may have some damage due to lightning) So,all in all...I still got ripped off.I paid $27 for a router that I was assured should work when all I needed to do was purchase a $5 (ish) power supply. So,people...moral of the story-if ATT tells you you're router is going bad and you have similar symptoms.....BUY A NEW POWER SUPPLY FROM EBAY FIRST,INSTEAD OF GETTING RIPPED OFF !!!!!!!!!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

And,by the way...(Unless this is something new within the last few months) you can indeed ouright purchase your modem/router through ATT.You do not have to rent it.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Gtrfiend wrote:
And,by the way...(Unless this is something new within the last few months) you can indeed ouright purchase your modem/router through ATT.You do not have to rent it.

Easy enough to check on it if you don't beleive me, but as of Feb. 2015, ATT made the decision to stop selling equipment to customers and from that time forward, will only lease them.

With U0verse, you can only use the equiment provided to you by them.  You can technically still use the equipment of your choosing with legacy DSL. but if you get it from ATT, you still have to lease it.

(The equipment purchased by customers prior to February '15 is grandfathered in, until it's replaced, upgraded, or even jsut serviced.)

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

8 years ago

So does that mean that even though I've been with AT&T for well over 10 years, and have had my current router for approximately 3 years, I still can't buy my router?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Hopalong_1 wrote:
So does that mean that even though I've been with AT&T for well over 10 years, and have had my current router for approximately 3 years, I still can't buy my router?

Correct. That is exactly what it means. Lease only, no purchase.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.