hav's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 5:33 PM

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

@desmolift wrote:

I'm getting way to many ERR_DMA's this morning...  I am attempting the "uncheck all firewall detections" with wireless G mode...I'll report back.  My firmware is 5.29.109.13.

Also find out what channel you are transmitting on, on the wireless side. 

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

WEP, ch 1, 11 & 10.  Currently on 11.  I'm stuck on WEP because two devices in the house will not connect when set to WPA, but this is another problem with a different vendor.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, so we are stuck on WEP because of those devices.  Ok, My other question that makes me wonder is if there is others transmitting and recieving on channels 1, 10 and 11. 

Do you use primarily PC or Mac?  Reason I ask is you may need to run a wireless sweep and see what is around you. 

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I'm in a pretty rural area, no other wifi nets.  I have several different devices, 2-PCs, Macbook, ipod, ipad, iphone, HP printer.  I have gotten these DMA Errors with just the 2 PC's running and the printer.  Also, it isnt traffic dependent, because I have seen it happen in the middle of the night when all are sleeping.  Its most likely timing dependent or possibly Firewall like you found.  Hacking/port scans, etc, can happen at all times of the night.  I have a NetGear 3700 on order, should be here Friday.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

Well the attack detections would make the most sense. 

Now what you could do when you get the netgear 3700 is have it grab an IP from the 2wire and then go into the 2wire and make that one or put that one in the DMZ+ mode. 

after that you can turn off the 2wire's "Attack detections" as it won't mean much to your netgear and you want the traffic to essentially "pass thru" to your netgear. That is how I operate mine right now, I turned mine off so I can manage my own DD-WRT router from the outside world. With the Attack detections up (or checked) it wouldn't allow network printing ot remote management of my dd-wrt router. 

I figured I didn't need it as my dd-wrt router is pesky enough. You are more likely to get a middle finger response from it than what you want sometimes. Mainly my DD-WRT also has some college kids the wife knows, that want to use my laser printer on port 9001 so I let them print to my house. They come to my house for coffee and of course report printing. 

My xerox phaser 6120 is a rather busy printer near end of semester. 

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

The Netgear 3700 is an all in one device, DSL modem, 4 gig switch, usb, and dual band wifi.  I read lots of reviews of all the routers out there and this one reads like its the best.  Although it needed some baking time to get stable especially the modem.  The latest firmware load is suppose to address several of the issues it had.  I'll be replacing the 2wire completely.  Then run my G devices off the 2.4 band and the n devices off the 5 band.  Also, I am hoping that WPA works with the devices I have that only seem to work in WEP with the 2Wire.  I know with these devices, WPA works with Linksys....just not 2Wire or ZyXel.  Anyway, I'll report back and let you know how it turns out.  My wifes computer is a couple rooms away from the 2wire in b mode.... she is only getting 1Mb..running very sloooooooow.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

ahh, well let us know... 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Add me to the list of those with this problem.

• I have two modems - they both do the same thing.
  • I have unchecked all of the firewall attack detection boxes.
  • I have locked the pair selection option.
  • I have Vonage (sorry ATT) wired Ethernet connection and up to 4 laptops with wireless connections.  One is an Apple and we suspect it gets worse when it is used but haven't proven it yet.
  • The Internet LED goes red and after a bit the DSL LED starts blinking.  It retrains although it usually takes 2 or 3 tries before it trains.
  • The retrains occur much more often when the wireless is being used.
  • Occurs typically 20 times per day.
  • My next plan is to vary the number of computers and see if there is a limit.  Also trying it without Vonage and only wired connections.

Any other suggestions?

I would bet that this is a problem with the 2Wire modem but ATT's reputation is going down the drain - I suggest you elevate this problem up high!  There are a lot of people with this problem.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

did you put the wireless on 802.11b? 

I am not sure if this solution was lost in the mix but with macbook systems it seems to help

http://goo.gl/xlzvQ

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

@Markh

I wouldn't waste too much time on this, as I have already done so. 🙂 Here's a quote from 2wire.
"There are a few known issues that can cause the modem to lose sync due to wireless, one is a known issue with online gaming over wireless, the long timeouts expected for streaming to the game servers can cause all the DSL sessions on the ADSL network to be used up, forcing the modem to reset the connection to clear up more.
Going into "Firewall" > "advanced settings" and turning off "excessive session detection"and selecting strict UDP session control will usually fix the issue and sometimes not require the wireless B only fix.
There are also some situations where a bad line that's being over taxed can cause the modem to reset it's connection, and lowering the wireless mode restricts bandwidth usage available and can help resolve the issue.
Generally moving to wireless B wont effect speeds as most DSL providers do not offer any speeds above 6mbps, so the available speed would be maxed out long before the local network, I can indeed slow things in a multiple computer environment though
Another issue could be the modem it's self, an ERR_DMA exit code simply means the memory buffer reserved for the DSL modem portion of the router has experience a memory leak, or buffer overflow, and had to attempt to retrain the connection again.
One thing to look for would be to go into the Management Diagnostic Console (gateway.2wire.net/mdc) and click on "detailed log" link all the way at the bottom of the left side, there you can filter by "ERR" and "ALL". Look for any errors that are under the heading code of "krtlock" as this indicates a hardware/firmware issue where the modem's firmware kernel is locking up, forcing a system reset.
Multiple krt_lock events almost always relates to failing or defective hardware inside the modem and would require an RMA/Replacement. "

They clearly have issues with the 2701 and do not appear to have a fix as I have requested one. If you are getting ERR_DMA all bets are off. I get these issues with just email and surfing nevermind gaming. To get by try changing your wireless to B, and either buy a new modem or demand a "new" modem from AT&T. BTW AT&T recognizes this problem and are discontinuing the 2701, replaced by Netgear! I was told they are going to be shipping next month. I talked with retention at AT&T and got them to refund me $100.00 for the 2701 and I put it toward a Netgear DGND3700.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.