My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

hav
Contributor

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Message 1 of 109 (185,148 Views)
Teacher

Re: My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

[ Edited ]

The Software/Firmware rev on my box is 5.29.109.5 and the system says that it's uptodate. I wonder if the upgrade of .13 is for new or different HW. What does it say in the Vendor field in the Training History on your box? For the most part the Vendor field on mine has been Broadcom. I have seen some folks' posts w/ Alcatel and other HW but not sure what SW/FW they have on their system.

I tried moving to 802.11g alone without changing anything else and that didn't help, no susprirses there.

Message 46 of 109 (8,625 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Mine is Alcatel....but this might be the upstream hardware????  I'm not sure what this field is refering to.

Message 47 of 109 (8,617 Views)
Teacher

There is only one line in my Training History log since I don't see any errors so far (still running 802.11b, I got another wireless adapter to work with this standard so that machine is online too now). So, we should be comparing the first line in your Training History output. I haven't seen Alcatel in my output ever, only Broadcom. I think the same asic would handle both down/upstream traffic, especially in such a small formfactor device. So, the .13 upgrade on your system maybe due to different hardware. I will have to check on that too when I call techsup next.

Message 48 of 109 (8,612 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

What I mean is... the upstream DSL hardware... not inside the box.

Message 49 of 109 (8,610 Views)
Teacher

I thought I was clean, but nope. I had 2 DMA Errors at 2:07 PM & 2:39PM today. It doesnt appear that disabling Attack Detection works for me.
Message 50 of 109 (8,602 Views)
Employee

desmolift wrote:

I'm getting way to many ERR_DMA's this morning...  I am attempting the "uncheck all firewall detections" with wireless G mode...I'll report back.  My firmware is 5.29.109.13.

WHat mode do you have for wireless encryption? WPA, WEP, wpa-psk and wpa2-psk? 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 51 of 109 (8,571 Views)
Employee

desmolift wrote:

I'm getting way to many ERR_DMA's this morning...  I am attempting the "uncheck all firewall detections" with wireless G mode...I'll report back.  My firmware is 5.29.109.13.

Also find out what channel you are transmitting on, on the wireless side. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 52 of 109 (8,566 Views)
Teacher

WEP, ch 1, 11 & 10.  Currently on 11.  I'm stuck on WEP because two devices in the house will not connect when set to WPA, but this is another problem with a different vendor.

Message 53 of 109 (8,555 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Ok, so we are stuck on WEP because of those devices.  Ok, My other question that makes me wonder is if there is others transmitting and recieving on channels 1, 10 and 11. 

Do you use primarily PC or Mac?  Reason I ask is you may need to run a wireless sweep and see what is around you. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 54 of 109 (8,553 Views)
Teacher

I'm in a pretty rural area, no other wifi nets.  I have several different devices, 2-PCs, Macbook, ipod, ipad, iphone, HP printer.  I have gotten these DMA Errors with just the 2 PC's running and the printer.  Also, it isnt traffic dependent, because I have seen it happen in the middle of the night when all are sleeping.  Its most likely timing dependent or possibly Firewall like you found.  Hacking/port scans, etc, can happen at all times of the night.  I have a NetGear 3700 on order, should be here Friday.

Message 55 of 109 (8,547 Views)
Employee

Well the attack detections would make the most sense. 

Now what you could do when you get the netgear 3700 is have it grab an IP from the 2wire and then go into the 2wire and make that one or put that one in the DMZ+ mode. 

after that you can turn off the 2wire's "Attack detections" as it won't mean much to your netgear and you want the traffic to essentially "pass thru" to your netgear. That is how I operate mine right now, I turned mine off so I can manage my own DD-WRT router from the outside world. With the Attack detections up (or checked) it wouldn't allow network printing ot remote management of my dd-wrt router. 

I figured I didn't need it as my dd-wrt router is pesky enough. You are more likely to get a middle finger response from it than what you want sometimes. Mainly my DD-WRT also has some college kids the wife knows, that want to use my laser printer on port 9001 so I let them print to my house. They come to my house for coffee and of course report printing. 

My xerox phaser 6120 is a rather busy printer near end of semester. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 56 of 109 (8,543 Views)
Teacher

The Netgear 3700 is an all in one device, DSL modem, 4 gig switch, usb, and dual band wifi.  I read lots of reviews of all the routers out there and this one reads like its the best.  Although it needed some baking time to get stable especially the modem.  The latest firmware load is suppose to address several of the issues it had.  I'll be replacing the 2wire completely.  Then run my G devices off the 2.4 band and the n devices off the 5 band.  Also, I am hoping that WPA works with the devices I have that only seem to work in WEP with the 2Wire.  I know with these devices, WPA works with Linksys....just not 2Wire or ZyXel.  Anyway, I'll report back and let you know how it turns out.  My wifes computer is a couple rooms away from the 2wire in b mode.... she is only getting 1Mb..running very sloooooooow.

Message 57 of 109 (8,536 Views)
Employee

ahh, well let us know... 

Employee Contributor*
Message 58 of 109 (8,518 Views)
Contributor

Add me to the list of those with this problem.

• I have two modems - they both do the same thing.
  • I have unchecked all of the firewall attack detection boxes.
  • I have locked the pair selection option.
  • I have Vonage (sorry ATT) wired Ethernet connection and up to 4 laptops with wireless connections.  One is an Apple and we suspect it gets worse when it is used but haven't proven it yet.
  • The Internet LED goes red and after a bit the DSL LED starts blinking.  It retrains although it usually takes 2 or 3 tries before it trains.
  • The retrains occur much more often when the wireless is being used.
  • Occurs typically 20 times per day.
  • My next plan is to vary the number of computers and see if there is a limit.  Also trying it without Vonage and only wired connections.

Any other suggestions?

I would bet that this is a problem with the 2Wire modem but ATT's reputation is going down the drain - I suggest you elevate this problem up high!  There are a lot of people with this problem.

Message 59 of 109 (8,473 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

did you put the wireless on 802.11b? 

I am not sure if this solution was lost in the mix but with macbook systems it seems to help

http://goo.gl/xlzvQ

Employee Contributor*
Message 60 of 109 (8,470 Views)