hav's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 5:33 PM

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

Ok... I installed my brand new 2701 2wire from AT&T....   I am getting DMA errors, ERR_DMA, which takes out my DSL connection.  Seems new hardware doesnt help, not surprising....  AT&T needs to ditch this modem, its doesn't work.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

Did you try turning off the firewall settings on the new one? I got that on a new one I got here, and my err_dma went away after I turned off all the checks in "attack detection" on the firewall settings pages. It rebooted one last time after that and it had been up since. 

I am running firmware ending in  .13

I also heard from others that another defeat to the err_dma seems to be to VPN. which if they are doing that, that means the firewall isn't sniffing/scanning the packets because the VPN would keep them encrypted, plus a lower MTU (maximum transmission unit) would be below the 2wire's limit. 

THe only other reasons I can think of I am defeating the problem is just network best practices and experience on my part.  For instance, Changing the IP address from 192.168.x.x, changing the wireless channel to a clear channel, setting a proper password on wireless. The only problem I found was the DMZ+ mode isn't free from the firewall, but I defeated that problem when I went and turned off all the check boxes in "attack detections" which left the DMZ+ 'd device free and clear. 

And this was 2of 3 2wires they sent me here to the office, all brand new out of stock. My colleague has the other one that had a older firmware of .29 and he stated the .13 gave him problems. I had him try another one with the .13 firmware and it was just fine.

We had another gentlemen here that ran a user through the turning off the packet flood, and moving the wireless to 802.11b, and that user (upon followup)  had been just fine. the guy asked if his wireless improved and he told us he doesn't use wireless cause he doesn't trust it.  So that told me right then and there the wireless might be a victim of the problem and not a cause. 

The only thing I have with this "broken 2wire" I have seen so far is it's wireless is a bit goofy with my iphone, but the wife is reporting no problems. So I can't say with any authority if his 2wire  (that was broken to him)  is having the same problem. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

@desmolift wrote:

Ok... I installed my brand new 2701 2wire from AT&T....   I am getting DMA errors, ERR_DMA, which takes out my DSL connection.  Seems new hardware doesnt help, not surprising....  AT&T needs to ditch this modem, its doesn't work.

Either that or we could ditch AT&T. Enough of this nonsense from AT&T.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I'm getting way to many ERR_DMA's this morning...  I am attempting the "uncheck all firewall detections" with wireless G mode...I'll report back.  My firmware is 5.29.109.13.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

The Software/Firmware rev on my box is 5.29.109.5 and the system says that it's uptodate. I wonder if the upgrade of .13 is for new or different HW. What does it say in the Vendor field in the Training History on your box? For the most part the Vendor field on mine has been Broadcom. I have seen some folks' posts w/ Alcatel and other HW but not sure what SW/FW they have on their system.

I tried moving to 802.11g alone without changing anything else and that didn't help, no susprirses there.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

Mine is Alcatel....but this might be the upstream hardware????  I'm not sure what this field is refering to.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

There is only one line in my Training History log since I don't see any errors so far (still running 802.11b, I got another wireless adapter to work with this standard so that machine is online too now). So, we should be comparing the first line in your Training History output. I haven't seen Alcatel in my output ever, only Broadcom. I think the same asic would handle both down/upstream traffic, especially in such a small formfactor device. So, the .13 upgrade on your system maybe due to different hardware. I will have to check on that too when I call techsup next.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

What I mean is... the upstream DSL hardware... not inside the box.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I thought I was clean, but nope. I had 2 DMA Errors at 2:07 PM & 2:39PM today. It doesnt appear that disabling Attack Detection works for me.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

@desmolift wrote:

I'm getting way to many ERR_DMA's this morning...  I am attempting the "uncheck all firewall detections" with wireless G mode...I'll report back.  My firmware is 5.29.109.13.

WHat mode do you have for wireless encryption? WPA, WEP, wpa-psk and wpa2-psk? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.