martina68's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, June 11th, 2013 6:53 PM

Move router downstairs...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and this may be a dumb question, but i have three coax outlets to plug in my tvs and router into in the house. The router is upstairs and always has been. However i want to move it into the living room. It it more centrally located. I can put a splitter on the coax and connect both the router and the DVR to it and get internet connectivity/cable right? Or is there a designated outlet that the router must be plugged into? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

martina68 - As BeeBeeSA says the safest bet is to have att do it. But, we have been surprised by people who can figure it out. Make sure you record what you have so you can put it back the way it is. Also, you do not have a INID (aka pair bonding). That is another story.

Also, the router is fed from the NID by coax - not another wire. That coax is both a feed for the router and an output for other TVs. The other end of it terminates in a center jack on a three jack diplexer. One of the other two diplexer connections goes to the NID on the side of the house. The other goes to a splitter to feed other TVs. Or, directly to the living room TV.

Find the living room coax on the splitter & swap it with the center one on the diplexer. This will move the coax feed correctly

There is a TV in the same room as the router?? Yes, It is connected cat5. The router & TV connection move together. The TV STB in the living room moves upstairs to the coax connection.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

No the residential gateway has it's own feed then the output is fed to the DVR and other Set Top Boxes.  You can pay for a tech to move it.  That would be the safest bet.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Well that was what i trying to avoid having to do! LOL. but if i have to then i have to. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

So what your saying is that the outlet in the upstairs room isn't even really an outlet at all for a tv? It's just an outlet that the residential gateway plugs into? And here i thought i had three outlets.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will let the old lady decide if she wants me messing around and tinkering with this. I think I can do this, but occasionally I screw things up. My specialty is software not hardware! 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer......badd {word filter evasion} on that one!   Kudos to ya!!  I never knew that since I don;t have a COAX install.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

It is my thinking that easiest and, many times least complicated, is to simply purchase and add on a new router in the new location....rather than jumping through all the hoops to move the RG without making a mistake and messing things up.  But this is just me I guess.  The old KISS principle has usually kept me out of trouble....plus help from some of the super, knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

hpmsrm - Good point. There are always so many options one person cannot come up with all of them. That's whats so great about a forum - many different people can add new perspectives for the OP to consider.

I find the wiring to be the simple change because I am familiar with my wiring, but worry that others have no clue. I try to have them take a step at a time & always know how to put it back. Some have really surprised me with their abilities.

Thanks for putting another path on the table.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@martina68

Just out of curiosity, why are you needing to move it.  I'm just trying to get a handle on what you're trying to accomplish with the move. You're doesn't need to be centrally located and other outlets in your house should be fed from it depending on how the wiring in you house is set up.  Do you have a wiring closet? If so, one of the outputs from the RG will go into the wiring closet and feed the rest of the lines. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

What does Att charge to relocate the router to another room.  The room is not wired.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.