For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Klein0009's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 24th, 2018 2:40 AM

Closed

Motorola cable modem compatibility

I bundled internet with my existing DirecTv account. I have no landline or tv cable at my house. Only a DirectTV satilite dish. Uverse is coming to installing another dish for the internet. I have a  Motorola MG7315 Cable Modem plus Router. Will this work with Uverse? I cant afford $9/mo rentsl

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Uverse is coming to installing another dish for the internet.

Uverse doesn't use dishes for their internet.  It uses a copper connection or fiber.

I have a  Motorola MG7315 Cable Modem plus Router. Will this work with Uverse? I cant afford $9/mo rentsl

Sorry no.  You must use the att provided gateway (modem/router).  And I think it's $10/month.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Then why use AT&T at all?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

That's for you to decide?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I'm confused. You say that as if you know something I dont. What makes AT&T so special that people don't just go somewhere else? Does every provider charge the fee? Or maybe there isnt any other providers available? Or perhaps AT&T is providing something special no else does? Educate me please so I can simply accept the fee or go elsewhere?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Agt0009 - And I'm confused how my simple statement confused you.  You obviously read more into it than I was saying.  In general most of us don't have too many choices in terrestrial cable ISP/TVs where we live.  In our area it's att or comcrap.  All I was saying is given whatever ISP/TV choices you have in your area you have to evaluate the pros and cons and decide to yourself where you want to put your money.  If you don't agree with their charges no one is forcing you to use them.  Or cut the cord and don't use any of them for TV at least.  But you are still stuck with the local options for and ISP and their accompanying charges.  It is what it is in this country.  Take it or leave it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T should just tell everyone the facts from the beginning. Save a lot of frustrating debate. "There is no one else who provides this service and no other equipment accept our proprietary equipment that will work. You must pay us any fee we impose if you decide you want internet. You have other options. 1. Comcrap 2. Relocate your home or business where there is a better provider, 3. Have no internet at all.

$10/mo isn't so bad after all, huh? Thank you for choosing AT&T."

SOLVED

"Accept the things I can not change"  

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Agt0009

AT&T should just tell everyone the facts from the beginning. Save a lot of frustrating debate. "There is no one else who provides this service and no other equipment accept our proprietary equipment that will work. You must pay us any fee we impose if you decide you want internet.

AT&T Internet Terms of Service

AT&T Internet Consumer Fee Schedule

800-288-2020 call appropriate department and just ask what's involved with an installation and pricing.

Post here and ask.

In short, do your research.

You have other options. 1. Comcrap 2. Relocate your home or business where there is a better provider, 3. Have no internet at all.

You think its a company's responsibility (any company) to give you your choices and to refer you to their competition?  Good luck with that.  Again, do your research.  

This is my last word on this since I think this conversation is going down a rat hole.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Agt0009   You have numerous questions and while @_xyzzy_ has answered the basic question (quite eloquently I may add), I'll try to answer the more specific questions.

1.  What makes AT&T so special that people don't just go somewhere else?  That's for you to decide.  I've had Uverse for over 10 years so there are some of us who are satisfied.

2.  Does every provider charge the fee?  Each provider is different so it's up to YOU, the customer, to do your homework.

3.  ...maybe there isnt any other providers available?  This is true in some areas.  People post on these boards about that all the time.

4.  ....perhaps AT&T is providing something special no else does? That would be up to the customer to decide.

5.  Educate me please so I can simply accept the fee or go elsewhere?  I believe that that has been addressed in an earlier post.  It called "Terms of Service" and we ALL have to abide by them.

There's a phrase in law:  Caveat Emptor that means "let the buyer beware."  It means that the buyer assumes the risk that a product may fail to meet expectations. 

The term is actually part of a longer statement: Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.") The assumption is that buyers are confident with the product before completing a transaction.  That's why companies have TOS and/or contracts.  They lay it out in black and white.  It's up to the consumer to do their due diligence and accept those TOS or not.

See, you learned something!  Smiley Very Happy

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject, and a great solution!