denkopf's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 2:02 AM

Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

U Vers replaced my 2-Wire with the  NVG589, I have several security camers installed and i am trying to set up port forwarding for them. They left me no manual. I have tried web searches, nothing. I was able to set the cameras up on the 2-wire, the Foscam web site does not have anything for the 589. on the NVG589 I set up in Nat/gaming what I thought was correct but outside the house I can not gain access. it states "Privite Network" "this camera is on a privite network and will not work". typically when port forwarding it sets up a http address. I cant find where or how it does that.

so I need help please.

dennis

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yes, this is very frustrating.  I just had my NVG589 installed as an upgrade from the 2-Wire and now I'm having no luck w/ port forwarding.  This can't just 'not work'...at least it's hard to imagine in 2014 that ATT would send out a router with these limitations.  There has to be a missed setting (I hope).  My installer just said plug in the 2-wire router with the NV589 and it would magically work...amazing.  Of course, he bolted as he was saying this. 

OK, hours later, after trying almost every combination and driving my kids nuts w/ rebooting, I caved and installed a passthrough router.  Since I have 6 cameras and several other items w/ static IPs with 192.168.1.x, I made a few adjustments different than what the others recommend.  I changed my NVG589 (apparently that means "Not Very Good") to 192.168.2.254 so I could keep my 192.168.1.xxx in my original router.   I pass a WAN address of 192.168.2.253 to the router and have that as my static router WAN address.  Once I did that and did DefaultServer Passthrough to the same WAN address, everything just worked again.  What a pain.  How sad this couldn't be anything normal.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

tgcounts,

It turns out you were right.  AT&T did not provide a router than can't have ports forwarded.  I know because I finally got mine to work!  But it took a lot of trial and error.  I am happy to say that it can be done.  I have a security camera system DVR that worked fine on comcast.  I had to forward 3 ports for it to work.  Unfortuatey I tried a lot of different things so I don't know what the exact cause was, but I'll tell you what I have set up now.  This is all for a NVG589 that was delivered and installed on 6-6-14

First, you do not need IP passthrough 'on' to forward the ports.  You also don't need to fiddle with packet filtering!  You also don't need another router. I believe everything can be done from the NAT/Gaming screen.  

I had followed the directions for setting up port forwarding found elsewhere (I went to NAT/Gaming and added the ports (total of 3 for this DVR, one for media, one for the DVR itself and one for iPhone access) under manage custom services, then found them in the drop down list and added them to the address of the DVR).  I would then try to ping the port from canyouseeme.org but it didn't see the ports.  

I don't know which of these things finally helped, but here are some of the things I did that night when I got it to work:  I changed my DVR from fixed IP to DHCP  and rebooted.  That didn't help so I switched it back to fixed and rebooted again (maybe the rebooting process helped, though I had rebooted it several times before that).  I also setup the allowable IP addresses so that the router doesn't assign the fixed IP address that the DVR is on to any other devices on the LAN.  That is done on the subnet and DHCP page, I left the left the DHCPv4 start address to the default and changed the DHCPv4 ending address so that my DVR's address was outside of that range.  I didn't change any of the advanced firewall settings (factory default).  I checked in Windows 7 the firewall advanced settings and there was a DVR rule, but once I got it working, it didn't matter whether that rule was enabled or not.  Finally I deleted the forwarded ports that I had set up and re-entered them, but this time I left the base host port blank - when I clicked add, the software filled that in automatically (so if my range was 80 to 80, it filled in the base as 80 also).

As I say, I don't know which or if any of these things did it, but at least you know it can be done and what settings can be ignored and which to fool with. 

Also, one thing I know I had wrong was that I was also checking connectivity from the WAN by using my iPhone, but it was still set up with DDNS service which I hadn't set up in the NVG589 (turns out you can't use it with this RG anyway).  But I may not need DNS anymore since it appears that the IP address doesn't change very often, if at all).

Good luck!

Tom

Oh one more thing, I used TCP/UDP for the type of port when adding them since I figured I'd have better odds of it working.   But that's the way I initially set it up so who knows.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I just searched the manual here and it looks like DDNS can be set up, but it must be done through a telnet window, not the GUI.  They talk about it on page 142.  I'm going to leave mine as is for now to see how long the IP address lasts.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, manxgirl, I have a very similar problem.

I called AT&T over a month ago and spent some time with one guy on the phone. He said his attempts to do something with the ports (81-85) didn't work and it would need to be escalated.

The next guy in line, some supervisor, told me I'd need to pay an extra $15/mo for "additional support!" I was like no way!

But I think along the way they blocked the ports intentionally because after the call I started getting a "connection refused" instead of connection timed out message on canyouseeme.org.

I have to think that they're completely blocking this port range, as I've exasperated myself trying to follow Q-See's instructions, which explicitly address U-Verse and particularly the type of Motorola modem router that I have.

It's ridiculous that they block these and you can't monitor your own DVR. I can see it internally on the 192 address, on my PC or smartphone, but not externally. It's totally blocked from what I can tell.

But if an AT&T rep can come on here and tell me differently, I'd sure like to hear it, because nothing has worked so far, and I don't even think I can disable (temporarily) AT&T's firewall to simply test it.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

How in the world did you ever get it to work with an external IP on the sucky 2WIRE (HGV3800) router? I can't do that with Q-See to save my life, even with their instructions followed to the letter.

And to the one guy who got the wrong public IP address confused, I'm not sure how you do that, as there isn't but one option that really appears.

But I've even filled out a dynamic domain name service on Q-See's site, as well as tried to configure the DVR countless ways to open the ports.

My AT&T gateway config screen shows ports allowed - 85, 81-83, for TCP and UDP at 37777,

Yet when trying to view it on canyouseeme.org it states connection refused. Wouldn't this be AT&T's doing? Not Q-See's? I've also disabled my McAfee firewall and the same thing happens.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

pgamboa,

I just recently received my NV589 and I tried to set up my Foscam FI9821W and I can access locally in the network, but once I try to connect to it using the DDNS address, it will show the logon window but after I enter the credentials, it will say "Connect failed. Try again later."

What was your setup that made it work so that it can be accessed from outside the network? Please advise. Thank you.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I did have some progress made on this front. Some.

A buddy of mine who knows networking really well got the firewall issue solved. I think he did one little minute detail I omitted, but good enough, got that working!

So I can access the site, both by IP and DDNS, from remote locations, my phone, etc.

Problem is, I can't see it remotely at all from any type of browser or any Android device I have.

I think this is likely a Q-See problem rather than an AT&T issue though.

I get a choice to choose the Main or Sub stream on each camera but nothing shows. Google chrome even shows a QuickTime plugin trying to load, but nothing ever happens.

While this may be slightly OT from being an AT&T issue, if anyone knows how to address this, please share!

Thanks!

Smiley Frustrated

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I see a few that say they got it working. Yet I don't see any solid steps taken. I have a Lorex that requires 35000  and 35001 ports forwarded as well as 80 which might be the problem. It would be much simpler if this router had a DMZ like most other routers. I don't even know what the dedicated server setting is. It sure does not do anything.

An IP passthroug kills the other devices on the network from the internet. So I assume, although I have not tried it, it is handing the WAN IP to the assigned device which the rest of the clients on the network will have to get a LAN IP address from. But will the TV still work as well as those extra wireless TV receivers for the other rooms?

The port fowarding should work and be good enough but not here. I so dislike these proprietary routers.

And I have done the basic static IP to the NVR. It is .170 and works find on the network. The NVR picks up the 12 IP cameras as well. All are viewable. But the NVR is not available outside the LAN. I tried it via a remote computer and my cell phone mobile data. I check the NVR and the DDNS is not connected. It shows failed.

ATT support is worthless. He just flat told me it would be paid support (for THEIR router?) Give me a break. He also said I might need to buy a static IP address. No, I do not. I just need this router to do what it should do and is supposed to do. Port forwarding is not something the came about last year. It has been around years and years. So what's up, ATT?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I think I know the best solution. Get rid of ATT UVerse and switch to another ISP that doesn't use some proprietary router with their firmware. Port forwarding is a major requirement for many people who want sureveillance systems. And I get the strong impression the ATT techs don't know how to open up the ports either.

It sure isn't just a simply port forwarding issue as it should be. This router is a the problem. I am going to try using passthrough hoping it is the same idea as bridge mode  without having the PPPOE login on the bridged device. Or does ATT use DHCP instead of PPPOE now?

I don't have access to that router right now. If it was mine I would have already cancelled ATT. If this issue is not resolved, the client will as well.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, at best case it's unfortunate and at worst it's downright unconscionable or egregious for AT&T to not allow these ports to be properly forwarded.

I get the idea though that there's some little well kept secret and AT&T techs are purposefully kept in the dark as to not accidentally spill the beans on this service.

I have a neighbor who has his alarm service that he pays a monthly fee to AT&T on. We both have Uverse. However I have a different alarm service and don't feel the need or desire to switch to AT&T simply to get my surveillance cameras working. I get gouged for over $200 a month as it is on the 400 package! That's why I bought a set of cameras to incur a one-time expense, not  a monthly fleecing!

But the guy at AT&T has TWICE told me it would be an extra charge monthly. Q-See support is hardly any better. They gave up and told me to call the provider (AT&T) and tell them to open the ports, to which this is their answer!

But if AT&T is installing alarm systems with cameras, someone there has to know how to open ports accordingly. My neighbor said he didn't pay close attention to what the tech did when he configured it! : (   -- too bad!

Maybe people will start cancelling in droves over this and then they'll come around!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.