denkopf's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 2:02 AM

Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

U Vers replaced my 2-Wire with the  NVG589, I have several security camers installed and i am trying to set up port forwarding for them. They left me no manual. I have tried web searches, nothing. I was able to set the cameras up on the 2-wire, the Foscam web site does not have anything for the 589. on the NVG589 I set up in Nat/gaming what I thought was correct but outside the house I can not gain access. it states "Privite Network" "this camera is on a privite network and will not work". typically when port forwarding it sets up a http address. I cant find where or how it does that.

so I need help please.

dennis

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

DavidCS how will this effect the uverse wireless television signal?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

It shouldn't affect it at all.  Be sure to keep your IPTV devices on different ports of the RG than your High Speed Internet devices (such as this router).

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

thanks JefferMC...will I just use my att ssid and password for the Linksys to connect to my Motorola nvg589?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I've been assuming you were going to run a cable from the NVG 589 to your router.  That said, if you want to use your router as an access point so that you can use both of them for wireless, you may use the AT&T SSID and wireless key on it, or you can decide to set both of them to something different.  Completely up to you.

If you just want to use your own router and turn wireless off on the NVG 589, then you could still use the AT&T info, but I'd make up my own.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

thanks again JefferMC

i do want to use my own router for security vision. i am planning on running a cable from my NGV to my linksys and a different ssid and password for the linksys. I thought i would still need some type of authorization to make the link.

To make sure i got my head around this....all i do is follow the passthrough instructions from earlier and connect my linksys to the nvg?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

There is no authorization information you have to enter.  I've been told that these instructions for an NVG 510 work well for an NVG 589 as well:

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Using-your-own-router-with-the-Motorola-NVG510-it-absolutely/m-p/3434307/highlight/true#M17745

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi x32c,

The information that JefferMC should get your network setup perfectly. The only authorization needed is if when you go through the settings on the NVG589, it will ask for a device access code/system password. You will find that on the router, and once you input your linksys MAC address in passthrough mode, then it will give the linksys full access.

Let us know if you run into any further issues, and we will be glad to help.

-David T

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi DavidCS,

Thanks for your reply.

JefferMC has been a great resource as well as your replies. I do have a question for one or both of you.. The link JefferMC referred me to states to use "default server" in allocation mode in lieu of "passthrough". I believe both of you recommended using "passthrough". 

Does it make a difference?

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

It does not depending on your setup. With the default server option, it will allow you to enter the IP address of the device you want to pass the information to in the internal address field. With passthrough, there are several options, but I used Fixed so you can use the MAC address. Both work equally as well, but I prefer MAC address as it cannot dynamically change but the IP Address could possibly, but probably still will not.

-David T

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for clarification.. One last question.....the router would connect its internet connection to an Ethernet connection on the nvg?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.