Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

ACE - Professor

Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

[ Edited ]

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 117 (105,006 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway

[ Edited ]

Hmm... well it has to be a triple play gateway since it says "Replacement Battery for NVG589 Triple Play Gateway for AT&T U-verse"

So... so far

-It's 2x2 wireless N with 300 Mbps with no dual band

-VDSL2

-Pair Bonding

-Can do HPNA

-Triple Play Gateway

-Doesn't require an outside the unit battery backup

Motorola Live Chat:"The NVG589 is a new AT&T Bonded VDSL gateway intended for AT&T U-Verse network with triple-play (Internet, TV, and Phone) functionality."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 117 (102,312 Views)
ACE - Expert

I had heard a rumor that they were coming out with an RG to serve bonded pair without the iNID.  Apparently this is that box.  I wonder if it has the phantom circuit capability?!

Message 3 of 117 (102,272 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

The rumor was that the Pace 5168NV would be the new gateway since it can pair bond and has VDSL2/ADSL2+.

I guess the Motorola has to be the real modem then set to be the newest gateway.

I wonder if the Motorola can also do ADSL2+ or if it's just VDSL2. They would need another modem for ADSL2+ if it's just VDSL2.

Motorola live chat didn't really know since it was so knew and there was little about it. It's so new to them that they originally thought I was from AT&T asking about the product ;P.

Message 4 of 117 (102,266 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

Looks like a slightly redesigned 2wire 3801

Message 5 of 117 (101,856 Views)
ACE - Expert

I wonder if they've sent SomeJoe an early device so he can get started working on UVRealTime support for it. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 117 (101,775 Views)
Expert

JefferMC wrote:

I wonder if they've sent SomeJoe an early device so he can get started working on UVRealTime support for it. Smiley Happy

I would indeed be flattered if I was treated with that level of importance. Smiley Happy  But I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Message 7 of 117 (101,743 Views)
Voyager

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

I just had U-Verse installed last week, i am in the Atlanta area and was given the NVG589.  So far works like a charm, averaging between 14-17Mb's down. I dont have voice just TV and internet.

Message 8 of 117 (99,285 Views)
Employee

The NVG589 also has GigE ports, uses 802.11n (2x2), the battery is integral to the box, and connects the bonded pair (if used) via rj14 jack, so no "iNID per se. Phone is also provided by a separate rj14 POTS port.

It's a pretty hot rockin' box.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 117 (99,275 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

ScottMac wrote:

The NVG589 also has GigE ports, uses 802.11n (2x2), the battery is integral to the box, and connects the bonded pair (if used) via rj14 jack, so no "iNID per se. Phone is also provided by a separate rj14 POTS port.

It's a pretty hot rockin' box.

This is actually my older version of http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/AT-amp-T-New-Equipment-Lineup-List-Motorola-NVG589-VAP2...

Go look there for pictures and such Smiley Happy.

There's also:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28274340-New-Equipment-2013-VIP2500-NVG589-5031-VAP2500-and-more-

Message 10 of 117 (99,246 Views)
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I believe this RG is also capable of doing ADSL2...although I wouldn't expect ATT to allow them to be used for such since these are leased and NVG510 are bought. But in the DSL line selection options ADSL is listed. Also, this does indeed have IP Passthrough handy for those of us with better routers than the built in one. The 2x2 40Mhz N antenna does actually have pretty nice range however.

Message 11 of 117 (98,919 Views)
ACE - Professor

drumboy35 wrote:

I believe this RG is also capable of doing ADSL2...although I wouldn't expect ATT to allow them to be used for such since these are leased and NVG510 are bought. But in the DSL line selection options ADSL is listed. Also, this does indeed have IP Passthrough handy for those of us with better routers than the built in one. The 2x2 40Mhz N antenna does actually have pretty nice range however.

Maybe they'll use the Pace 5031NV(Both VDSL2/ADSL2+) along with the NVG510.  Not really sure at all of what they plan to do with these situations.

Message 12 of 117 (98,864 Views)
Employee

The 5031nv is starting to be used instead of the 3600 (no TV service) on vdsl circuits, I believe the 510 will be the go to on adsl2+.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 117 (98,808 Views)
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by beckyww (Administrator)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

My NVG589 was installed yesterday!  Yes, it has a TRUE bridge mode!  Yes, it has Wireless N (300Mbs), although Dual Band N or Wireless AC would have been nice.  I guess we'll have to wait another 4 years for those improvements...  LOL  Yes, it has Gigabit Ethernet ports (finally)!  Yes, it can be put in 40mHz mode!  Yes, it can be run on a single, rather than bonded pair, so even if you don't have bonded pair, I'd be trying to get one of these new RG's!  Yes, it is made by Motorola, so no more Pace junk!  The senior tech who installed this yesterday (I was the first one in my area to get one.) stated that they were officially replacing ALL of the bonded pair gateways with these new NVG589's whenever problems arrose, so y'all wanting to switch know what you need to do, right?  Smiley Wink

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

Look at the very bottom link.  That's the Administrator's Manual for the NVG589, and NO you will not receive ANY documentation or manuals with this new RG.  So bookmark that page!  It's 216 pages long, so you may or may not feel like printing the thing.

Of note...  There IS a command line interface for this RG, and the instructions for getting into it are in the above manual, along with the available commands.  There is also a DEBUG mode.  Does this mean that rooting this new RG will soon be possible?  I hope so, because there are two jacks on this new RG which are neither described nor used, as of yet.  The most important for most of us is the USB port, which according to the Motorola tech support guy I chatted with earlier this morning is currently "disabled by AT&T", but could provide network backup for your computers (I was asking about network Time Machine backups for my Mac's on the network.) in the future should AT&T "turn the port on".  So do we have a uPNP USB port on this new RG just waiting to be "turned on"?  Almost assuredly.  The real question is will we have to wait for AT&T to turn it on, or will some enterprising individual figure out a way for us to do it ourselves.  Speaking of which, you can adjust the output power of the wireless radio.  Right now the max is 100%.  Again, the possibility of overdriving the wireless radio a bit, ALA the Tomato firmware you can flash some routers with, seems likely if the RG is indeed hackable. 

Lastly, there is a top port which is designed for direct fiber from the curb input!  FYI, this new uVerse RG is pretty much identicle to the one Motorola makes for EATEL's true FIOS offering, so 100Mb/s Up/Down should be possible in the future.  This RG is undoubtably AT&T's answer to competing with Google Fiber in the areas where it's available, as well as other true FIOS offerings by other national and regional providers.  I guess the real question will be how cheap AT&T will be, and how soon we'll start seeing them lay direct fiber to the house and start dumping IPTV over copper.  It may be a while as supposedly AT&T is testing 48MB/s (No word on whether this is a 48 meg profile or true 48MB/s Internet speed.) in Miami using te NVG589.  What I do know is that at 3300ft from the VRAD using bonded pair on a kCard, I've got one of the cleanest 25 meg profiles you've ever seen, and I could easily go to a 32 meg profile if AT&T offered it in my area.

This new RG seems to be breathing some new life into the uVerse service!  Now if it won't keep frying at least once per month like my old Pace RG was (iNID would just power cycle and never hold sync, and I've been having the issue since just before the first of the year!), I'll be relatively happy...

Message 14 of 117 (98,519 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have heard about these new remote gateways.  There is a discussion about this new device over on DSLReports.com.

Apparently, if your pair is hooked up to a Kcard in the VRAD you shouldn't have too much problem getting a 32M profile at 3000 feet if the lines are decent.  Kcards usually have around 75 Mbps out of the VRAD and sync drops at about 1 Mbps per 100 feet of loop length.

So technically speaking if you start off with 75 Mbps and you have a 3000 foot loop, you should in theory have 45 Mbps at the other end of the loop.

(3000 feet / 100 feet = 30      1 Mbps * 30 = 30 Mbps      75 Mbps - 30 Mbps = 45 Mbps)

It seems that this new gateway may very well be the device that will allow AT&T to be able to deploy uVerse on much longer loop lengths.

Combine the fact that this RG seems to be able to handle longer loop lengths with higher max sync rates AND pair-bonding, AT&T may very well have a winning combination on their hands. A 32M profile and beyond may very well be coming to even those on pair-bonded setups.

This new gateway seems to lend some credibility to the rumors of faster Internet speeds. At least in my mind it does. Along with the possibility of having in excess of 100 Mbps to the home even for those far away from the VRAD.

Message 15 of 117 (98,510 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.