Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

ACE - Professor

Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

[ Edited ]

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 117 (105,279 Views)
Contributor

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

I definately don't have the knowledge and background that all of you do.  I'm simply trying to get Uverse in my home.  Seems like everyone around me has it, but my corner of the neighborhood isn't eligible because of, I assume, the distance from my house to the VRAD.  I talked to a install tech down the street as he was finishing up and install and he said that because of the new NVG589 I'd probably be eligible now.  I've called and called and can't seem to get someone that can help me out. I sent a PM using the link above and hopefully someone can finally determine if this new box would be possible.

Any other advice or contacts that anyone has to help me in this endevour would help.  Thanks.

Message 76 of 117 (7,900 Views)

Ok guys, just got off the phone with tech support and after reading everything here. I was stoked to learn that I'm getting this gateway, but a little confused about how this is going to work. I live in an apartment, the distance to the VRAD is about 3100ft., single pair coming in, on a 19M profile. How is this RG going to help me? Customer service tells me that if I have issues after the NCG589 is in place, then they will provision my apartment for a bonded pair. Just hoping to understand why the provisioning isn't taking place right now.
Message 77 of 117 (7,870 Views)
Employee

Apartments are different from single family homes.

In a SF the serving terminal normally only provides service for four homes,has 12 connections so no issue in providing each residential home with two or three pairs of feed.

In an apartment complex there is normally only one feed per unit. No extra pairs available, to provide you with a bonded install they have to deny another unit service .
As this is not desirable and sometimes not even allowed your choice may be 19M profile with 12M internet max, and if tv service 2HD/2SD streams.
Previous to the 589 RG, this would have been either a 19M profile using 3801 RG, if did not work service denied. No inid (bonded) installs in apartments.

Ask anyone on adsl with max 1.5 internet or maybe 3 with no tv service how they would feel if they could get 19M profile.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 78 of 117 (7,847 Views)

Makes a little more sense now, hadn't thought about onene per. I understand the adsl stuff as I had to fight to get uverse installed (AT&T exclusive complex that can't provide services to the entire complex, three buildings beyond me and my 3100 ft). The signal is too weak to have uverse tv with internet. So I had to make a decision on if I wanted internet or tv. But can this RG enhance the signal without the bonded pair, or am I going to be stuck with great equipment that isn't being used to full potential?
Message 79 of 117 (7,830 Views)
Anonymous

The 589 won't really make the signal any stronger. It can deal with lines that have more noise on them better than the older RGs, but won't make a significant difference. We aren't supposed to be doing 19M profiles anymore, as they are supposed to be provisioned for a 25M bonded. 19M are supposed to only be used as bonded profile for people at the edge of service. If your service is listed as a single pair 19M, then you won't be getting a 589. That is currently only installed for bonded pair.

When the tech comes out for the install they can find a spare pair, if available, and convert it to a bonded install. I have never done an install, apartment or other, that we could not find a spare pair for.

Message 80 of 117 (7,806 Views)
Highlighted

Thanks to both of you for your input on this. You were right drumboy35, an HGV3801 arrived at my door today. I am fortunate that the tech that came out to my place put in his notes that the apartment required the NVG589. I hope the same tech comes out tomorrow as he is the one that claims to do quite a few installs in the area. If not, I have a ton of explaining to do to get this to finally work. As I have had ten technicians out on the past two years, a few have said that a some of the pairs have been unusable, so I hope whoever comes out can help as much as the previous guy. I should update tomorrow.
Message 81 of 117 (7,800 Views)
Employee

A little confused, you received a 3801 RG, tech out today, expecting another tech on Sunday for install?
Equipment shipped direct is a CSI, customer self install, the tech provision and verified sync, plug in RG and register internet should be good to go.
Install are not normally done on Sundays (i have done some CSI but not normal full tech installs), so not sure who you are expecting.
If unable to sync and called back for a tech assist charge is $99, but this is a repair ticket not an install order for bonded.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 82 of 117 (7,796 Views)
Anonymous

I think what happened is the tech doing the CSI didn't have good sync at the demarc. If a repair is created for Sun/next available, then the tech will convert it to a bonded install no extra charge.

Message 83 of 117 (7,794 Views)
Employee

If poor sync at terminal, (SELT , AMT) then a bridge approved helper for CIM tech should have been created, that tech would work Sunday to solve line issue, but would not install a 589.
If good sync at terminal but not at RG that is an IW (inside wiring) issue and is billable or jepped to MDU wiring, no service provided.
If moving from a CSI to a bonded pair install (think CSI 3600 feet single family inid install) then CSI denied full tech install $149, appointment needs to be rescheduled, would not happen on a Sunday (installs Mon to Sat excluding holidays)
Employee Contributor*
Message 84 of 117 (7,793 Views)

Sorry guys, I will try and be a little more clear. The 3801 was mailed, no tech Saturday. I called support hoping that there was just a mix up in shipping. Support explained that for a CSI, I get the first rg they pull from the shelves and couldn't pick or request anything. I was saved by the tech notes, at least I hope so. Recommending the 589 for install. I am surprised that a tech is coming out Sunday, especially during a holiday weekend. My hope is the tech coming out is the same that recommended the 589 as he explained he has done many in the area. If not, I only hope that the tech can and will install the 589 with a bonded pair provisioned for my apartment. I wish it were inside wiring issues instead of the loop length. At least then it would be fixed faster than two years with some not so awesome service having a loop length of 3100 ft. I will certainly be digging a little more when the tech out today. Hope. If you can think of anything I might want to ask or need to ask to provide you with better informationthe next time I check in here I'm all ears.
Message 85 of 117 (7,746 Views)
Employee

CSI, tech only gets sync to building serving terminal, rest is up to you or apartment owner. If cannot obtain sync then need another tech visit fot a failed CSI,tech assist....charge $99.
On a CSI (purchased RG) the standards are 3600 or 5031 for longer loop lengths. Should not have been shipped a 3801 should have been 5031.
Would never expect a 589 to be shipped these are only full tech install RG,on an internet only orinternet/voip would be $149 install, single or bonded.
The tech you talked too is a tier support, not currently working as uverse premise tech, the tech today will run jumpers and verify sync total time allowed 55 minutes.
For tech options see previous post.
Employee Contributor*
Message 86 of 117 (7,738 Views)

Well, the tech came out, he told me that he was a premise tech and the previous tech that came out was also a premise tech.  I really think it's a shame that I can talk to five different techs and hear five different points of view of what is causing my problem.  I really feel like this is turning into a gripe thread about the runaround that I have been subject to, which I do apologize for.

So the tech explained that the previous tech was a newer premise tech in the AT&T family and that his thought of having a 589 installed was a newbie course of action.  He also said that 589s are only used when the loop length is 4000 ft. or more (remember, there are three buildings in my complex that can't have uverse at all due to loop lengths).  He explained that I'm actually drawing 32m at the rg and can't understand why I'm on a 19m profile.  He told me that he would request an IR tech (can't exactly remember the term he used) to come out and evaluate the signal and the line to see if something can be done to correct the issue(s) I'm experiencing. 

His course of action was to swap pairs at the VRAD, which he said had not been done since I have had service.  He also corrected one of the previous techs attempt at a solution by bypassing the panel on the building.  As he wrapped up, said that there weren’t any errors showing on the line and that I should be getting the service that I am paying for.  I left for work right after he left, so I wasn’t able to see if there was any difference.

Message 87 of 117 (7,707 Views)
Contributor

My grandmother has had U-Verse for several months and uses the Motorola NVG-510. She has only phone and internet. Everything was working fine until there was an outage that lasted several days. When service was restored her cordless phone started displaying the incorrect time. The technician reset the modem, we have reset the phone, we have manually set the phone time. However when a new call comes in the phone again shows the incorrect time (4 hours ahead). The technician does not know how to fix this issue. Tech support has not been any help. Do you know who you talked to when your issue was finally resolved? I am posting for my grandmother I hope she will be able to check this if not I will follow off line.

Thanks

Message 88 of 117 (7,587 Views)
ACE - Expert

beallpauline - well, it should be the upstream source of dial tone that sends you caller ID & date & time. If the local folks cannot find it perhaps the attcustomercare can get to it. Send a PM with acct data & how to reach you here - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

If you would like to see if you can shut off the update in the phon ,post make & model & I will look it up.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 89 of 117 (7,584 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Not exactly for the NVG589 dicussion, but since the thread about the VAP died...

The VAP2500 seems to be able to use the additional channels in 5 GHz.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 90 of 117 (7,517 Views)