Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Motorola NVG589 Battery?

Highlighted
Teacher

Motorola NVG589 Battery?

Hello,

Just had U-verse installed last week, and I have been having a few issues.  I seem to be having intermitent problems loading website...takes around 45 seconds or times out.  However I was browsing the page for the Gateway and noticed I had a battery warning....Does this unit require a battery?

ScreenShot.jpg

Message 1 of 16
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by carlking2
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Motorola NVG589 Battery?

There is a battery compartment on the under side (bottom) of unit.
The unit itself does require a battery, however if ordered Uverse VOIP (phone) service a battery should have been installed to provide up to 4 hours of run time on the RG to make and receive calls. No VOIP ordered, no battery installed.
Additionally beside the internal battery, the tech could install agrey BBU (battery backup unit) external tothe RG to provide same VOIP support, as BBU is external coverage provided by not seen by software.

Concerning slow browse, what are your speed tests showing...?
Do you have IPTV service (can affect internet speeds)....?
Try disabling firewall if using Norton or similar to see if problem persists.....

Is this on all sites or select sites? Time of day have any affect?
Looking at possible rush hour congestion (Netflix OR other streaming sites) between 4pm to 11pm?
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 16
Teacher

Thanks for your reply....

I had a tech here today to address a issue that keep cropping up in the DVR series manager, and as part of the troubleshooting process he replaced the RG.  He also said the installation tech should have installed a battery in the gateway, and he did so in the replacement gateway.

Message 3 of 16
Tutor

I just got a new NVG589 with the Power service but the unit is reporting it doesn't have a battery. I do have a home phone thru Uverse. Can they just ship me a battery to put into the unit?

Message 4 of 16
Employee

I would expect not.
As a general statement, from the terms of service agreement, customers are responsible for replacing batteries used on Voip services, so not sure there is a way to ship.

Did the tech install a grey BBU (battery backup unit) instead next to RG. If the garage is out of stock of internal battery, many while install the grey Belkin BBU, provides same function but is not detected by unit as installed.

If have install techs cell number, recommend calling tech direct to see if one can be dropped off.

Otherwise best to call and request tech visit, this is a 4 hour appointment window, and as a side note gives the install tech a repeat if another tech is dispatched within 30 days of previous visit.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 16
Teacher

Hi-

Had the NVG589 installed about a month ago and technician did not put the battery in it.

And yes, we have a att voip phone.

Thought about asking about it but, forgot about it until I saw your post.

MM

Message 6 of 16
Mentor

of course not, even though you are likely more intellegent than many of their techs they want their 99.99 house call fee Smiley Tongue 

Message 7 of 16
Scholar

Link to buy replacement batteries http://www.arrismodemsite.com

Message 8 of 16
Contributor

what if the guy didn't put a battery in my gateway when it was installed?

Do I still have to buy one?  Or should I contact ATT and ask what happened?

Message 9 of 16
Employee

The TOS was changed July 1, 2015 where the company no longer provides the initial battery.

If were were installed after July 1st...

If you want one, you will need to purchase one.

If your install was before July 1st you could try contacting, but since beyond the 30 day install window, I would expect the answer to be the same.... Especially as the item was not accounted for before (non billed) there is no way to verify if one was original installed or not unless tech specifically stated no battery installed in close job description..

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

Could someone please enlighten me? Are there specs somewhere regarding the Replacement Battery (http://www.arrismodemsite.com), such as battery life?

Message 11 of 16
Contributor

I have a NVG589 gateway w/ uverse internet & voice (no tv & not set up for wi-fi). There is a battery installed in the bottom, the indicator LED on the face of the unit is green at the moment, & I m guessing if the batt's bad/discharged the LED would go to yellow/red. With a power outage, the batt LED goes to red & I cannot call out, or receive inoming calls to a (digital) cordless phone base unit (old landline base w/ several remote handsets) which: (a) has an electrical-line adapter plugged into a house outlet; & (b) the phone line connected to one of the sockets on the rear of the NVG589. As I understand it, if I buy a separate, external backup battery unit (BBU), plug it into the house outlet & plug the phone adapter into the BBU, I'll be able to callout/receive incoming calls - correct? From earlier posts, it looks like I could also plug the NVG589 to the same unit w/o a problem if I wanted to because the software doesn't recognize the external BBU - or is the 'grey BBU' a particular/special one & some generic type BBU woudln't work? I'd expect plugging the gateway into the BBU would shorten its capcity & my primary goal is to have phone capability for as long as possible.   

Message 12 of 16
Employee

If desire is to always have a house phone during power outage, you may want to consider a generator (diesel, propane, natural gas).. Anything with a battery will have a limited time frame. That time frame is reduced if actually make or receive calls compared to standby time frame.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-voice/KM1041593

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17756

For whole home power....

http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power 

Message 13 of 16
Contributor

Thank you for the response. I didn't make it clear I wasn't after whole house electrical svc, but rather something whereby I could receive incoming calls immediately & for maybe several hrs. We're not a 'smart' house, don't use wi-fi, & don't have cell phones on all the time, etc., so if there's an outage & our security svc can't raise anyone in fairly short order - they call the police unnecessarily & we get fined $$ after 2 false alarms in a year. I vaguely recall the installer mentioning something about a BBU for the phone for 911 purposes, but it didn't all register in my electronically-challenged brain. Since my NVG589 already has an internal backup battery installed, I wasn't sure it could be, or had to be plugged into an external BBU. The KM1041593 reference you provided has a link to an illustration showing connecting a cordless phone & a gateway unit to an external BBU, so I'll pick one up shortly & set it up. Thanks again for the help. 

Message 14 of 16
Contributor

I have a NVG589 as well but i dont have a phone connect to it do i still need a battery for it ?

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support