For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
robert_g_1's profile
Employee

Employee

• 

82 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 11:14 PM

Motorola NVG510 3rd Party Router Setup

Setting up IP Passthrough with 3rd Party Router

Connect a computer into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the NVG510 using an Ethernet cable. Use another Ethernet cable to connect the WAN port of the 3rd party router to another of the Ethernet ports of the NVG510.

1. Open your browser and browse to 192.168.1.254

2. Under the Device section next to status click on "Device List"

3. Your IP Address/Name of your Computer and 3rd party router should show up in this list as the only two connected devices.

4. If you are not able to find out which device is which you may run the "ipconfig" command in windows by

• Clicking Start, then Run, and enter "cmd", and click OK
  • or "Windows key + R" then type CMD and click OK
  • In the DOS-like window that appears, type "ipconfig” and press Enter. The ip address will not be the "Default Gateway" but will be in the same format and match one of the IPs in the "Device List" of the modem.

• On an Apple OSX computer you will want to go to /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility
  • In the drop down make sure "Network Interface (en0)" is selected
  • In the "Interface Information" the IP  address will be next to "IP Address(es)"

5. Write down or copy the IP address and Mac Address from the Device list that isn't your computer and then Click on "Firewall" at the top

6. Below "Firewall" click on "IP Passthrough"

7. Under the IP Passthrough section fill in the following

•     Allocation Mode: Passthrough
  •     Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-Fixed
  •     Passthrough Fixed MAC Address: (Mac address of the device from the Device List)

8. Click "Save" at the bottom and power cycle the NVG510 and the 3rd party router.

9. Unplug computer from NVG510 and connected to your router and wait for both to come back up.

10. Once both the NVG and router are up open a browser and verify you are able to browse.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

These settings do not work on Cisco WRVS4000N. I have tried several different recommendations for using the NVG510 and, unfortunately, the firmware design is poor and the only way to get IP passthrough to work properly with business-grade routers is by purchasing a static IP from AT&T at an additional monthly cost.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

One thing worth trying that is not listed in the steps is statically setting up the Cisco WRVS4000N with an IP in the pool that is designated in the NVG510, and then creating a default route on the Cisco WRVS4000N with the gateway address (default 192.168.1.254). That should work. You still have to go through the steps listed in the article on top  of this.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, David. Your recommended setup is the only setup that works, but is not industry best-practice. This complicates port forwarding and the use of DDNS services.

With services such as PPoE in bridge (previous AT&T DSL) and true DHCP (Comcast/ Xfinity), this was never an issue because the router could be given the WAN address and the modem was used as a dedicated passthrough gateway.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you are correct about that. Unfortunately, it is just a work around for right now. I do apologize for any inconveniences this has caused. The only thing I can say is I, along with many others, have voiced these issues towards the appropriate work group that can influence the next firmware and hope for a solution that accommodates as many people as possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

"Plug one computer into an Ethernet port on the back of the NVG510 and the 3rd party router." needs clarifying.  I'd suggest:

"Connect a computer into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the NVG510 using an Ethernet cable.  Use another Ethernet cable to connect the WAN port of the 3rd party router to another of the Ethernet ports of the NVG510."

I'd do it myself, but I don't have edit privileges on this document.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for noting that jeffermc . I will submit your changes.Smiley Wink

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Basic question: with the above instructions, can I plug in my new apple time capsule to the nvg510 and all will be happy and working? I'll be using the wifi from the apple device, and the motorola is just used as a DSL modem? Or do I need to work through another series of changes on the time capsule?

Thanks,

Michael

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Micahel-kun, I would follow the instructions above, treating the Apple Time Capsule as the "3rd party router" in the instructions.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

These instructions helped us finish up what this process started: How to put an AT&T NVG510 Router in Bridge Mode. Hopefully this helps someone else!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks all. So I understand, is this a solution that if AT&T changes the IP address everything will still work?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.