Dpatel123's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 22nd, 2015 9:03 PM

Modem making high pitched sound

I have an NVG589 modem which was recently installed. It's making a completely unbearable high pitched sound while it's on. It's been giving me headaches and the only solution is to unplug the modem. Does anyone have the same problem or have any solutions. Any help is much appreciated!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Dpatel123,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with your gateway, but I will be glad to help. It sounds like you may have a defective gateway that needs to be replaced. I will be happy to help and will send you a private message to further assist.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same problem! I contacted AT&T and they told me they weren't aware of the issue. They didn't believe me (and couldn't hear the noise over the phone), so I made this video: https://youtu.be/SN1sx2uv_Bs

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Update: I'm finally free of the high-pitched noise! The modems have a date printed on the side of them. My original NVG589 was from May 2015 and it made the noise. They sent me a replacement modem (same model) from Dec 2014 and it also made the noise. Finally, a technician came by. He had a refurbished modem (again, NVG589) from Feb 2013 and it *doesn't* make the noise! (Actually, it seems to make the noise extremely quietly, but the important thing is that I can't hear it unless I put my ear right up next to it, whereas I could hear the other one from down the hall!) So this appears to be a problem that affects NVG589 modems made between Dec 2014 and now, possibly going back as far as March 2013 (but the cutoff date is not clear).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

So what should I do about this? Should I get a new one?

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

@rbwilli wrote:
My original NVG589 was from May 2015 and it made the noise. They sent me a replacement modem (same model) from Dec 2014 and it also made the noise. 

I have no noise issues with my NVG589, and it is dated 1/29/2015.

It would be interesting though to poll the dates of those having noise issues to see if it is a certain batch related issue rather than a random defect.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

I just got a NVG589 install earlier today. I didn't notice anything immediately after install, but after I got home work later today this high-pitched noise you are describing was there.

I definitely need to get this thing replaced because it will drive me insane if I don't. My model looks like it was Dec 2014. Same month you are talking about. Maybe it's isolated with some batches as mentioned in this thread, but this is definitely annoying.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the NVG599 model, its wider and taller than the 589 and it makes the same high pitched whine noise. Is there anything I can do to make it stop? Can I put it in the entertainment system drawer or something or does it need to be out in the open?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have this issue and need to resolve it. Has there been a solution found? I had ATT come to the house. The techs were able to hear the noise. They replaced the modem but they found that the new modem made the same noise. I may be going back to Time Warner if this can not be resolved. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

This is a design flaw made by arris. Replacement also makes this high pitched frequency noise when pulling data down +10Mbps over WiFi only. This is likely a voltage regulator improperly tuned which creates low-frequency noise when pulling current from main power rails of system, which to human ear sounds like high pitched noise or audible harmonics (~18-19khz) Unfortunately I cannot pay for this cheap faulty arris hw and att’s goofy SW, going back tomorrow and canceling.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Tengo el internet en el cuarto y me siento enferma y con dolor de cabaza la cajita sigue haciendo ruido mañana en la mañana me comunicare con att esto no me gusta nada 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.