Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Macbook Pro won't connect to wifi

Contributor

Macbook Pro won't connect to wifi

my MacBook pro won't connect to our wifi, it keeps saying "invalid password" regarding wifi, but it is correct. I have tried removing the wifi from the list in advanced settings and rejoining, changing the wifi password, restarting my computer, restarting out router, etc. My wife's MacBook air, our iPad, and phones connect just fine. I read something about it being a problem with the 2.4 vs. 5 issue, but I have no clue what that means. Any advice?

Message 1 of 2
Professor

Re: Macbook Pro won't connect to wifi

I don't know how to explain the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz, but I know how to resolve the issue.

Your ATT modem/router has two Wi-Fi signal/radios: the 2.4 GHz and the 5.0 GHz.

By default, both radios have the same Wi-Fi name and password. They can also be customized.

I think what happened here was you kept the Wi-Fi name for both and changed the Wi-Fi password for the 2.4 GHz only; didn't change the password for the 5.0 GHz.

Here's how you can resolve it: reset the modem to factory settings by pushing the reset button behind the modem for 10 seconds or longer. When you do that, the Wi-Fi name and password will go back to the original settings. Wait for the Broadband and Service lights to come on before trying to connect again.

If you don't want to use the default password, then click here to get the step-by-step instructions on how to cuztomize your network info, or call Technical Support at 800-288-2020. Ask them to change the password for the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz radios. 

Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support