Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Mac Devices do not connect to ATT Router Model 5268AC

Contributor

Mac Devices do not connect to ATT Router Model 5268AC

I have a Macbook Air and iPhone 8 and can see the wireless network, but when I try to join it manually I receive the error: "Incorrect password for ...". I have tried this many times in a row and it will not connect, then as I move around the house, it will randomly join with no problem, only to drop again and not allow a connection.

I only have this problem with my ATT router at home. At work and at other places with WiFi I have not problems.

I took my phone to the Genius Bar at the Mac store and they confirmed that the wireless is working fine on my phone and Mac. They indicated that its very possible that the router is having problems dealing with Wireless AC in the Mac devices.

I am very close to dropping ATT, after talking to a customer service rep who insisted it was the phone and not the router. I have now exceeded my data plan again, after owning the phone for just 3 weeks.

Message 1 of 10
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by Employee (Employee)
Accepted by Constructive
‎11-27-2017 12:47 PM

Re: Mac Devices do not connect to ATT Router Model 5268AC

It sounds like you may have a different password for the 5ghz network. Your apple device prefers the 5 and when in range it will try to use it. As you move around the signal weakens b/c the higher frequency does not travel as far, so it may connect to the 2.4. Not sure, but this would explain why it sometimes works.

Even though you may not have changed it, weird things happen when AT&T pushes firmware updates out.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Contributor

Thank you for your help - that was it.

The 5ghz network password was the culprit.

So, just so I understand, does Wireless AC always use the 5 ghz network?
Message 3 of 10

You can set up the 5268 to run either 2.4 or 5ghz wi-fi signals....or it can broadcast BOTH simultaneously.

Open up your router web interface 192.168.1.254 and go to  Settings/LAN/wifi

There you will be able to enable or disable either or both networks and assign password(s).  Since you are running Apple, I would suggest you enable both 2.4 & 5ghz networks with the same password.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 10
Contributor

I tried this and both were enabled. I had to go to that IP address on my iPhone since that was the only device that would connect. Any more suggestions? 

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Professor

Correct, 802.11AC speed itself only runs on 5GHz. The protocol does specify backward compatibility as well and band steering tries to take advantage of that aspect. In practice, I haven't seen this work so well. It's unfortunate too because IMHO, it would be best to run the RG as close to stock settings as possible.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

I ended up changing the name of the SSID for the 5gHz channel and was able to connect both of my apple computers now. Hopefully having 2 different SSID names won't affect everything else in our house!

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Professor

And tell those devices to forget the other network.

As it turns out, 5GHz while faster, does not reach as far as 2.4GHz and is more easily blocked or attenuated. Can be helped with repeater.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 10
Teacher

I cannot connect any iDevices or Macs on 5Ghz on ATT Uverse PACE 5268A. I even shut off 2.4 and still cannot connect. Did factory reset on router and its at 11.1 and my iphone too and its at 12.1. I did a wireless capture from my MAC and see malformed beacon for ATT default SSID on 5Ghz. So now what ???? My iDevices work great on 5Ghz Cisco network at work.

If I set two different SSID on 2.4 and 5Ghz I can get the iDevices/MAC to connect on 2.4 only. This is horrible because of the bandwidth and issues with 2.4 when most of the devices in the house are forced to use the 2.4 network. I have seen issues on your site that are 2 yrs old complaining about the same problem.

How do I get this issue finally resolved ??? If not I will be forced to go to another provider.

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Professor

Sounds like the 5 ghz band is broken. Call and request that a new gateway be sent to you. 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support