shoe's profile

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 2:03 PM

MOTOROLA 2210-02 DSL MODEM

How important is it to set the modem to always on instead of the on demand default setting.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@shoe wrote:

How important is it to set the modem to always on instead of the on demand default setting.

Thanks

The "Connect on Demand" feature is a throwback (the Apendix if you will) from when modems were still dial-up and you were charged by the minute for your connection. It might help in protecting your network from inbound attacks during the down-time, but it will also cause a delay when you want to get online while the modem recconects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@shoe wrote:

They should make a cooling station for this modem it runs very hot I am afraid it is going to melt down

Go to your local Ace or True Value and get some stick-on rubber feet (or felt) (something around a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) and stick them to the feet on the modem (maybe stack a few sets for more height), this should raise it up off the surface it's located on and provide better circulation around it which should help keep it cooler. Should only run you 3 to 4 bucks.

On the other hand if you have a spare computer fan and an old 12 volt dc wall-wart (power supply), hook them up and set the fan next to the modem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

They should make a cooling station for this modem it runs very hot I am afraid it is going to melt down

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

Joe what is the best bridged DSL modem to buy that will work well with a Dlink 601 router Thanks

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@shoe wrote:

Joe what is the best bridged DSL modem to buy that will work well with a Dlink 601 router Thanks

I'm using a Speedstream 4100 that I've had about six years and still runs like a champ, and it's a no-frills, single connection, modem.

Not sure about the latest offerings though.

Most stores are only going to have 1 or 2 choices for DSL modems.

AT&T has this one: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5480275&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

and this one: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520232&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Both are basic modems and go for $75 and the Netgear model says it is IPv6 ready.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

I am looking at the Action tec GT701D

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=186

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

I was using the 4100 but id died and they do not make it anymore It was a great modem

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@shoe wrote:

I am looking at the Action tec GT701D

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=186

It seems like the opposite of what you're looking for. The Actiontec is a full-blown modem/router combo, which could make configuring your own router more diffcult. As well, I saw no mention of IPv6 support or capabilities in the specs for that modem/router.

I would also be leary of purchasing non-localized modems. I'm not sure about AT&T's standardization of their protocols across the nation, but it used to be, you could not buy a DSL modem in Georgiia and have it work with DSL in Illinois. That's why I would suggest buying at a local store or from AT&T direct. You might be able to get AT&T to give you some credit to offset the purchase price.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

12 years ago

It is approved by my ISP

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.