nateoneil's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 1st, 2013 1:54 AM

Juniper SRX210 with VDSL PIM to replace 2Wire

I am running a full branh Juniper solution in my home to include a SRX210 and EX2200-c and Palo Alto PA200 for UTM and IDS.  I am already running all of my STBs and DVR through the EX switch which trunks through the Palo Alto and into the SRX210 which then uplinks across a L2 interface into the 2Wire, there are no issues.  I am also using another segment to allow my SRX210 to be the "firewall" under the "DMZ Plus" setting in the 2Wire.  I am receiveing the UVerse public IP address as expected and also terminating a few IPSEC VPNs, GRE tunnels, and IPV6 tunnel to Hurricane Electric all without issue.

My question is, if I install Junpier VDSL/ADSL2+/ADSL2 1port RJ11 PIM into my SRX can I terminate my UVerse connection directly into my SRX and not use the UVerse 2Wire Gateway?  If I can use another device other than the 2Wire modem, will that impact IPTV service or is that not dependent upon the 2Wire modem.  I would assume this can be done with the correct configuration and through provisioning my device with UVerse support, or via self provisioning.  I did read that this was possible with AT&T High Speed DSL but could not find it listed under UVerse.  I would be willing to try it on my own, however the VDSL PIM lists for around $750 and thats a bit steep just to try it out.  If anyone can provide some insight either that has done this or something similar before or a moderator that knows a process to make this possible please let me know!

Thanks,

Nate

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, but no, the VDSL PIM will not work.

The AT&T 2Wire units all have an X.509 certificate embedded in the firmware that performs 802.1x authentication with the next upstream router before the port is turned up. The VDSL PIM card will not be able to authenticate, so you will not get a connection.

Also, the multicast routing used by AT&T U-Verse probably has authentication associated with it, so even if you got Internet running somehow, I doubt your router could participate in the multicast routing, thus IPTV would not work.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Greg, I was thinking along the same lines and think that SomeJoe below has answered my question from the technical stance. Yes, it's quite a bit of equipment for a home, there is a reason. I am a Sr. Network Engineer for a MSSP (CentraComm Communications) and we are an Elite Juniper partner. Since we deal primarily with these vendors I like to run on them personally to hone my skills, run production beta code, try and create break/fix scenarios, and run a more complex network than most of my managed customers. When it comes to customization, this is what makes CentraComm an award winning partner of Juniper. One of the things I really enjoy doing is as you said it, reinvent the wheel, in some scenarios to learn and push myself to fully understand the underlying technology in play.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Wow, that just made my head spin. My opinion, would be yes you will have problems trying to re-engineer something that ATT tried in their labs, and knows it works the way they want it to work.

For the prices of that equipment, I hope that you are using it as a lab to earn a cert on the equipment, not just running it in place of the ATT equipment, because you want to reinvent the wheel.

That is like over $3,000.00 in equipment. Overkill for just to watch UVerse TV, or use UVerse Internet in the home.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You know, if you want, you could always send me & Joe some of that gear, if you ever get tired of it taking up space.

You just wanted to make me jealous is all. along with others that know how good the gear you have is.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

You know, I've never played with Juniper stuff, I've always been a Cisco guy. But I looked at that SRX210 and I may have to get my hands on one and just play around.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

they are GREAT! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.