harleymankeith's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 13th, 2014 12:49 AM

Is there anything to worry about with the latest threat Heartbleed ?????

I have been hearing about the latest threat Heartbleed and they have infiltrated Cisco. Doesn't AT&T use Cisco to provide equiptment for wireless access points? Is there anything to worry about with this threat? I have heard this threat can steal all of our passwords among other threats

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Unless you've modified the RG's firewall to allow it, there should not be public access through your Residential Gateway to any of the AT&T provided Cisco gear.  Thus there should not be any opportunity for a hacker to gain access to any of the Cisco gear in your home.  Assuming that they did gain access, and were able to exploit the deficiency, I can't think of anything they could really learn from the boxes except maybe what channel you're currently watching.

The exploit allows the attacker to read the contents of the system memory of the affected system.  What is in the system memory of your Cisco WAP or TV Reciever that you need to keep private?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Also, the TV receivers themselves (Cisco or Motorola) run Windows CE.  Microsoft provides an SSL implementation for Windows CE which is not based on OpenSSL, so the Receivers themselves should have no OpenSSL code in them anyway.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

The "HeartBleed" vulnerability affects primarily Linux-based platforms, and a few BSD-based platforms (Apple computers are BSD, but not an afflicted flavor).

As previously mentioned, Windows products are not affected unless running packages like "cygnus," which allows Linux/unix apps to operate on a Windows platform, and then it must also be running specific versions of OpenSSL.

HeartBleed has been around for quite a while; it's only recently been picked up by the press and media.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@ScottMac wrote:

HeartBleed has been around for quite a while; it's only recently been picked up by the press and media.

While the vulnerability has been around for a while, it was only recently publicly disclosed.  No one knows how many people have known about it for how long and what use they may have been making of it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you I was not sure

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.