githin's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 2:30 AM

Is my Residential gateway tied to my account?

I got a residential gateway from my friend, so I don't want to purchase a new gateway with my new connection. Is this a problem? Do they have to enable something special so that I can connect to the internet? At present, I have got an email annoucning that my connection is active, but I cannot connect using my friend's gateway.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

The RGs are provisioned for the address of the original account.  You cannot use your friends RG.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Not necessarily accurate. Once an account is cancelled or RG is swapped on the account, the RG is not attached to the account any longer. It's free to use on other accounts past that point.

You just need to make sure you're using the right RG for the type of service.... VDSL2, ADSL2+ etc

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@bauwls wrote:
Not necessarily accurate. Once an account is cancelled or RG is swapped on the account, the RG is not attached to the account any longer. It's free to use on other accounts past that point.

You just need to make sure you're using the right RG for the type of service.... VDSL2, ADSL2+ etc

So are you saying that someone can 'acquire' an RG (ebay/friend/trash) and it will work?

I don't think that's accurate.  All RGs must be provisioned via ATT.  It's not a plug & play piece of equipment.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Correct, as long as the it's not attached to an account, it does not need to be provisioned. A slot opens waiting for a particular model of equipment, then once you get sync (broadband) it becomes provisioned to your account.

There are two ways (generally) for a RG to become unprovisioned from your account: Swap the RG and hook up a new one (new SN will be provisioned) or cancel your account. Other ways include Tier 2 TLQ manually ripping the RG off your account.

AT&T doesn't pre-assign a RG serial number to be attached to your account. Say your friend cancelled u-verse last month for NVG510 meaning it's no longer provisioned. If you plug that one in vs the one AT&T sent you in the mail for a self-install, both will work. They are not interchangeable once sync is granted without a swap order.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Furthermore, RG's are not tied per address. So if you moved addresses on the same account number, your RG would work at your old as well as new address (if the network type was the same).

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

@bauwls wrote:
Furthermore, RG's are not tied per address. So if you moved addresses on the same account number, your RG would work at your old as well as new address (if the network type was the same).

I didn't know this was possible.  Have you or someone you know been able to get an RG to work at 2 addresses?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

Can someone please call CS and say "I have an RG that a friend gave me.  Can I get that working please?" to see what the response is.  Smiley Frustrated

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, it happens all the time with move orders for ADSL2+ equipment. Same account numbers or different, it doesn't matter. As long as the de-provisioning and provisioning is handled correctly.

And your question is loaded for failure skeeterintexas. It has to be ADSL2+ (2701,2210,nvg510) or VDSL 2WIRE 3600 (3800/3801 will work the same but there isn't really a point since they are leased). The same holds true for STBs/DVRs. This would need to be added to the question. Also, I'd recommend speaking with Tier 2 tech support not Customer Service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.