cognos74's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 14th, 2014 8:08 PM

Internet connectivity problem

Hello,

I've had this problem ever since I had uverse installed.

Wireless internet works fine on 2 mac books, one windows notebook and an iphone.

However for 2 android phones and windows notebook, all three can connect to the uverse wireless gateway but none can access the internet.

The only way I've been able to get around this is to plug another wireless router into the gateway.  All three of those devices can connect to this router and access the internet.

It is annoying because the uverse gateway sits in my garage so the signal is not strong throughout the house and the second wireless gateway is plugged in upstairs.  So depending on where you are in the house, you have to connect to the Uverse gateway or the second router to get internet (which obviously doesn't work for the three devices).

Does anyone have any ideas as to why 4 devices would work and 3 would not?

I do work in IT so I have a lot of experience playing with routers and fixing computers in general but this issue is beyond me.

Thanks in advance.

Clem

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @cognos74,

I apologize for the inconveniences you are having with your connection, but I will be glad to help. One thing that I sometimes notice with some devices not connecting when others have no issues is the security type. By default, U-verse uses WPA/WPA2 security. One thing worth trying is to use WEP or no security, just for testing purposes. If they are able to connect after that, that means the devices are having issues with the WPA/WPA2 security. From there you can try to see if there are any updated drivers for the device or just change everything over to WEP.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi David,

All three of the devices can connect to the gateway successfully.  The problem is that it does not have internet access.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am having a similar problem with all of my devices (android, iphone, ipad, kindle, xbox360, laptop, Directv box).  I will restart the 3801HGV and everything will connect.  Within 5 to 30 minutes, however, all of the devices will still show that they are connected to the AT&T network, but none of them will be able to load any web pages, retrieve email or do anything else that requires a working connection.  When I view the status of the network it shows that packets are being sent, but none are being received.  I can then reboot the gateway again and the same process will repeat.  I have had AT&T uverse internet since December and the problem only started in the last few weeks.  

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @cognos74and @skazmier,

I am sorry you guys are having issues with your internet connection. I am thinking it may be similar to an issue I have had where it shows connected, but the wireless network data is not being decrypted correctly. For me, I have had the problem when I input the key in incorrectly. I have seen it for others where changing the security to WEP resolved the issue.

Were you able to test without any network security?

Also, are you able to ping a website?

Finally, one other thing worth trying is resetting the connections. To reset the U-verse router, just hold down the reset button on the back of it for 10 seconds. On your device, locate your wireless network connections and delete that connection from your list.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

David,

As per your suggestions, I've tried to WEP as well as completely removing
network security.
I've also tried restarting the router and removing the connections from my
devices.

I'm still not able to get my devices working.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

To All,

A tech came out to my house this weekend. He was surprised by the problem
and called his manager who told him that there was a cut in the line
someplace nearby that might be causing the disruption and that they were
working on fixing the problem. A couple hours later a second AT&T tech
came out. He said he specialized in outside fiber problems. He ended up
telling me that the BPON I had was bad and that he replaced it with another
BPON. Since he did that I have not had any problems.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @cognos74 ,

What IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway is your device getting when connected to the U-verse router? You may need to manually set it up.

-David T

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @skazmier ,

Thank you for the update. I am glad everything is working as it should be.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.