Helpful Links

Intermittent Wifi - Uverse Internet

Highlighted
Contributor

Intermittent Wifi - Uverse Internet

I moved locally a few months ago, and transfered my Uverse internet service with me. Since then I have been having intermittency issues. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so anything I connect to, my wii or laptop, is in the same room as the router. 

At first I thought the connection issue was primarily my gaming console's fault. I pretty much just stream Netflix, and rarely bring my laptop home from work. Anyways, I noticed everytime I navigated to a new page on my browser, the lights would start blinking and go out. I would have to wait until all four lights were on again to attempt to browse again.

Unfortunately this issue with the router happens all day, with no avail. Especially when I stream netflix - router light often turns red.

What I have done:

- Reset the router on multiple occasions

- Turned off, unplugged all cables, and turned it back on

- Used At&t's troubleshooting tool

- This indicated that my router's signal was very low.

- Recommended I change channels - I've tried all 11.

The only thing I haven't done is call tech support, which I plan on doing once I'm off work. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction until then. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
Community Support

Re: Intermittent Wifi - Uverse Internet

Hello @aledf123 

I'm sorry to hear that your Wi-Fi service is Intermittent but, I'll be glad to help you with this issue. There are multiple factors that can contribute to poor Wi-Fi service. It sounds like the distance between your Gateway and your devices isn't too far and if you already attempted all 11 channels then there are just a few questions I want to ask you about your Gateway's environment.

1.) Where in your home is the Gateway/modem located? Is it in a location up high near a ceiling fan? Down on a carpet floor? (If down on the floor, try elevating it's location)

2.) Is your gateway plugged into any power strips/surge protectors? (If so, try an individual plug instead)

3.) Is it close to any device that would give out EMI (Electromagnetic Interference)? Ex: Computers, monitors, TV's, A/V amps/receivers, treadmills, garage-door openers, etc. (It would be best to keep it at a 3 ft distance from these sorts of devices)

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply sign in, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Intermittent Wifi - Uverse Internet

Thank you for the reply.

My router is on a desk, so it sits about midlevel to the floor and the ceiling.

There is a microwave about 3 or 4ft away, so I'll try moving the router further from it and see if that helps. My TV is across the room, and I generally use my laptop on my couch which is about 5 or 6 ft away.

The router is also directly plugged into the outlet (no extensions or powerstrips).

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support