For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
freenatural's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, April 30th, 2017 4:24 PM

Installing a 3rd party router behind an ATT gateway.

Hello,

I have an ATT gateway 3800HGV-B and am trying to install a 3rd party router behind it. I can't find information anywhere as to what settings I should use for something like this. I've tried several things, but I still get outages with my new router. The wired and wireless connections go down randomly forcing a restart of the router. I chatted with tech support and they suggested I put the gateway into "bridge" mode, but directed me to tech support on how to actually achieve that. The tech support person that I talked to had never even heard the term and could not help me.

This is what I've done on my own: I've disabled all of the wireless settings and flagged my new router to be in DMZ mode. I also found a checkbox that has to do with detecting a router behind the router that seemed like it was relevant. Is it possible to put this gateway in a mode where all router related things are disabled and it acts only as a modem? If not, would ATT be willing to swap my gateway for a simple modem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@freenatural

At this point perform a factory reset to the AT&T provided router/gateway and to your 3rd party router. This way none of your prior configuration changes will influence what I am going to tell you.

By default your AT&T provided router/gateway has a LAN/WiFi 192.168.1.0 Class C network, no change required for now. On the Ethernet port where you will be plugging in your router select 100BaseT/Full-Duplex rather than the default of Auto-detect. Additionally, disable IPv6 if you can (Settings/LAN/LAN IPv6 on my 5268ac). Do not plug in your router yet.

Access your router's configuration. Change your router's LAN/WiFi IP network to something other than 192.168.1.0. Now you can plug your router into the port of the AT&T provided router/gateway that you previously configured.

At this point everything should be working. If not, let me know.

With everything now working you can make other configurations to either router. Just don't make too many at the same time so you can back out your changes easier.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi @ApexRon

Thanks for the advice! I've done what you said and so far things are working. I'll run with this setup for a few days and see if any issues crop up. Previous adjustments have fooled me into thinking they worked only to crap out a few days later :). I don't really know a ton about IP addresses, so I do have one additional question. Is 192.168.20.1 an acceptable new IP address for my 3rd party router? By default it was 192.168.0.1

Thanks again!

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Only a few hours after changing these settings, the outage happened again. Dang!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@freenatural wrote:

Is 192.168.20.1 an acceptable new IP address for my 3rd party router? By default it was 192.168.0.1

Yes, you can use 192.168.20.1 for your downstream network in place of 192.168.0.1.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Let me recap the way the way this should be setup:

AT&T Network -----3800HGV-----(192.168.1.0 network) -----3rd Party Router-----(192.168.20.0 network)

Ethernet cable between the routers. Your 3rd party router is cascaded (not bridged) from the 3800HGV.

@freenatural wrote:

Only a few hours after changing these settings, the outage happened again. Dang!

Please describe "outage"; you lost all internet access with the 3800HGV or the 3rd party router?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hello. I've got a similar situation, but more so to take advantage of a service that it 1/10 of it's potential right now. I'm on a Gigabit Ethernet connection currently but only seem to achieve ~125mbps upload and download. I heard that the standard router could be the issue and that a third party router could finally achieve those close to 1000mbps speeds. Any corrections or advice?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.