neilhorman's profile

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

Friday, February 14th, 2014 1:49 PM

IPv6 Tunnels broken yet again (this time on the NVG589 modem)

So AT&T has done it again it would seem - After loosing my ipv6 tunnel to hurricane electric via the 2wire firmware mess, It would seem now the NVG589 modems are affected.  I've not yet been able to tell if its the firmware or just AT&T internally dropping protocol 41 packets not bound to their rd endpoint, but either way it would seem that any ipv6 tunnels not sanctioned by AT&T are down for me.  Has anyone else seen this, and have a clue if theres any workaround?  At this point, even in the light of the potential comcast merger, I think Time Warner would be a better solution than this.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Update: Confirmed with OCCAID that the gif tunnel is up and they can see my ping6 echos. The ping6 replies are not making it back to me however, which suggests the 6to4 is being either filtered or intercepted in the AT&T network in only one direction. 

Does anybody from AT&T want to step up to acknowledge this and provide info on a remedy? You people have a lot of hacked off customers out here. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Those who are more knowledgeable than myself may step in and comment / correct me but, if the ATTs network were being stressed by supporting U-verse TV – perhaps due to bandwidth limitations? – would shutting down IPv6 traffic buy them some time to upgrade or ovoid the cost of upgrading equipment?

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Thats a fair question, but the answer is no, since they didn't shutdown ipv6 traffic, they only shutdown ipv6 traffic being routed by ipv6 tunnels that they didn't own.  The ipv6 service that is natively offered by AT&T still works just fine.  That fact also makes their argument about blocking non-AT&T ipv6 tunnels due to security risks patently false.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks - didn't expect a reply 🙂

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

So I think I have the same issue going on.  I had a complete outage of u-verse and as part of the fix among other things, they gave me a new NVG589.  I thought we had one of these before the outage, but I'm not sure.  All I know is I was running OpenVPN fine before for business and now it won't work.  It appears that no packets are being returned on attempting to connect. 

Could this be the same ipv6 issue you're describing here?  Thanks for the reply.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

Almost certainly.  AT&T doesn't want to fix this problem. By the end I was reasonably confident they were doing it intentionally, either to make their lives easier by only having 6-in-4 traffic on their netwrok for tunnels they own, or so they could charge for upgraded ipv6 service more easily.    I recommend just droping AT&T alltogether.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

I could actually deal with the the 6rd if they gave us a routed /64 to work with.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

Well, you could their 6rd tunnels with your own 6to4 tunnel.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/ATT-IPV6-tunnel-issue-solved-Cisco-router-only/m-p/4182159#M43321

I mean the whole reason they implemented 6rd is for "security" purposes so, why not use the technology that they have in place.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.