Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I want to replace my ATT supplied NVG 589 modem/router with something... better.

Contributor

I want to replace my ATT supplied NVG 589 modem/router with something... better.

Hi,

We currently have Uverse for internet; no VOIP and no TV. We have the Arris NVG589 filling the modem/router role. We also have a Netgear EX6200 range extender, (need something to get wireless coverage). The problem is the EX6200 is dual band but the NVG589 is not. From my (brief) research, I understand the EX6200 is optimized for video/internet/VOIP. All I need is internet with dual-band capability.  I suspect that ATT doesn't carry a strictly internet-only modem/router.

So my question is what is the best piece of equipment for my requirement?

Message 1 of 8
Professor

Re: I want to replace my ATT supplied NVG 589 modem/router with something... better.

@Herknav

You cannot purchase your own U-verse gateway. The models newer than the one you currently have are the Arris NVG599 and Pace 5268AC which have dual band wireless-ac capabilities. These models are typically saved for those on higher tiers and such. If you're looking to try to get one, you might just have to schedule a technician to come out for a replacement and pretty much beg(not really!) for the AC gateways(your chances are greatly reduced if you are on a low tier) and hope that the tech has one on their truck. You can try to request a replacement through UPS, however you're likely to receive the same model.

Do not use extenders such as the EX6200 if you're looking for speed. Extenders are meant to only repeat a signal to extend coverage, which causes a decrease in speed on its own. Since you're looking for dual band, I assume it's because you're looking for speed.

What you'll want to do is turn your EX6200 into an access point. This will let you use your AC1200 Netgear as the main network. After following the instructions I found below for your device, please go to 192.168.1.254 into your browser and disable your gateway's wireless network so they do not interfere. You'll also need to connect your EX6200 to your gateway by connecting it by Ethernet after setting into access point(wired) mode. The EX6200's UI can be accessed by typing in the IP address listed on your gateway's client list at 192.168.1.254 in your browser(ex. 192.168.1.72). If you can, I would return that EX6200 to get your money back and then purchase a much more capable device. You for sure do not want a device meant primarily for extending, especially since they're usually more costly.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/EX6200-unlike-EX6100-doesn-t-support...

@smeeon wrote:
Figured it out,

Hardware Version EX6200
Firmware Version V1.0.1.60_1.1.98

First you must setup the unit to extend your existing wifi, once this setup is complete login to the EX6200 via it's web interface.

change it's network settings from DHCP to static IP, assign it a static IP on your network (I used 192.168.1.251) apply the settings, reboot the EX6200.

Log in and change the "connect to existing network" menu to be "Access Point(Wired)" mode.

apply the settings.

Once it reboots you can then log into the unit with the new static IP address Ex:192.168.1.251

repeat for any additional access points 192.168.1.252 .253 etc.

Epic Fail netgear for goofy firmware.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Re: I want to replace my ATT supplied NVG 589 modem/router with something... better.

Thanks for the prompt response, (shame I couldn't do the same).

So I am unable to replace the gateway (when did we stop using the word "modem"?), got it, no worries. It sounds like I either need to beg ATT for a "new" gateway or disable the gateway's wireless network and use a router of my own chosing.

I'm not using an extender for speed, I'm using it to extend my signal. The fact that I can't get a signal sitting in front of my living room tv is not satisfactory. Turning the EX6200 into an access point isn't going to work either, (and neither is returning it).

BTW, what exactly is considered a "higher tier"?

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I have the same problem. My computer is about 25 feet away and I cannot get a good wireless signal from the ATT supplied modem/router/wireless gadget.  ATT does not have a better UVerse Modem that the customer rents for $7.00 per month?  However, my computer can access a neighbour's Netgear WiFi signal from who knows where?  Might have to change ISP soon.

Message 4 of 8
Employee

BTW, what exactly is considered a "higher tier"?

From my perspective only, a higher tier is when the cost difference between tiers are $10 increments compared to $5 increments on "lower tiers"

$5 increments between each package.

Lowest is Basic .75, Express 1.5, Pro 3, Elite 6, Max 12, Max Plus 18

The Max Plus is the transition tier as everything above increase by $10

Max Turbo 24, Power 45, Power Plus 75, future Power Turbo 100.

Lower tiers internet only, generally 5031, 3801 (TV service gateway) and 589.

The 3801 is 2.4 b/g wireless while the 5031, 589 are 2.4Ghz b/g/n wireless.

The recently released (summer 2015) offer dual band 2.4/5 b/g/n/ac.

Remember this time last year the 589 was the best gateway available.

For those desiring additional features/functions it has always been private purchase setting up your own device behind the gateway in DMZ or IP pass through. Even with the newest gateways some are still using their own for various reasons.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Another Great Point..

Someone should follow whoever the @#$% is in charge of their Consumer Internet Service Division and just keep repeating this guys quote ( that is also the echo of tens of thousands of others ) ... 

just repeat it over, and over and over and over again..  do you think it would sink in???  who knows but nothing else is working and it would take just a tiny bit of my frustration and anger ( which is common, like every #$%^ time I'm in front of my computer )  as well as the occasional $%^& rage!

oh yah,    the quote..  ( paraphrased, hope you don't mind BATaTcstomer )

"ATT charges $7.00 / month for this cr*ptastic router.. and I can't get a signal from 50' away in front of my TV??!   Yet I pick up multiple neighbours' WiFi signals from who the #$%^& knows where??!!!"

"ATT charges $7.00 / month for this cr*ptastic router.. and I can't get a signal from 50' away in front of my TV??!   Yet I pick up multiple neighbours' WiFi signals from who the #$%^& knows where??!!"

"ATT charges $7.00 / month for this cr*ptastic router.. and I can't get a signal from 50' away in front of my TV??!   Yet I pick up multiple neighbours' WiFi signals from who the #$%^& knows where??!!!"

"ATT charges $7.00 / month for this cr*ptastic router.. and I can't get a signal from 50' away in front of my TV??!   Yet I pick up multiple neighbours' WiFi signals from who the #$%^& knows where??!!"

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

I would quite possibly do a retraction on that little piece..

while not completely,  but to the tune of 75 - 85%.

( one of many nights in a row of massive intense frustration, and yes ATT based )

JT

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Contributor

If I may ask? What did you all find to be the best solution for replacement of the Arris NVG589?? I am wondering because my WiFi is not able to extend more than 20' maximum and I am wondering if I should replace my Router or request a new Modem per from AT&T ??? It sounds like a "tall task" to get a replacement. But I am willing to "try my luck" at getting a replacement. Is this the best alternative or should I purchase a New Router. I was recommended the TP-Link AC-1750 or AC-2300 as a replacement to extend my WiFi signal. Does this sound like a solution or no?? Any suggestions are gladly accepted. Thanks so much.

Brent T.

2/12/2019

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support