rayanndjon's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 21st, 2012 5:57 PM

I want to buy a longer data cable for my u verse

Hi,

I need to buy a longer data cable for my u-verse router (from what I read on it, it is the 3801HGV model. I got it a few months ago).

I would like to make sure that I but the right cable on the internet.

So my question is: what are the specifications of this data cable? In other words, what should I look for on e-Bay or Amazon?

This is what I can read on the green data cable that came with the router:

Systems Broadband ULH     ETL VERFIED TO TIA/EIA 568-B . 2 CATEGORY 5E UTP 2PAIRS 350 MHz E302757 (UL) TYPE CM75°C BROADBAND PRODUCTS 1366FT All Systems Broadband ULH

Thank you so much for your help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

He's talking about the green data cable that connects for the VDSL signal, not a network cable. The green data cable is Cat5e, but uses RJ11 connectors, not RJ45.

CablesOnDemand makes a compatible cable:

http://www.cablesondemand.com/category/MPUSCat5E/product/MP-52RJ11UNNE/URvars/Items/Library/InfoManage/MP-52RJ11UNNE.htm

• 

1 Message

very good and precise post

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

You'll want to get a cat-5e cable. The best place to find one fir a great price is Monoprice.com. I've included a link to all of their cat 5e network cables. They range in length from 0.5 to 100 feet.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hi, 

I just ordered the new cable. Thanks a lot for your help! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i have a att uverse modem that has a green cable that has ends on it that plug into phone jack and on the modem in the phone line  i need 50 ft to move it around in the room the label on the green cable reads Data Cable 6001-000110-000  please help

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I am really fed up with this subject, .....When AT&T installed my uverse deal..... with ‘their’ little data cable.....short distance to allow for furniture arrangements.

then when calling them ,,,,,, they are dumb founded, have no clue how to give proper instructions in re.   To specifics about ‘their ‘ cable requirements. Is it a normal data cable with phone to phone connections....... ?????? Does it require a normal or specific replacement..... CAT 5 etc...... RJ111......me all confused since ATT&T technical support is of little use...... I just pay the bills,.....all I want is a longer cord but the RIGHT one !

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

@baysparkle, the cable hooking your U-verse Gateway to the wall needs to be a Cat5e twisted pair cable with the correct ends to fit the jacks.  All the Gateway's I've seen have an RJ11 jack for the "DSL" port and as far as I know,  installers provide an RJ11 wall jack for the DSL signal, so the green cable is an (otherwise) Cat5e cable with RJ11 ends.  There have been several links mentioned above in this thread for cable that fits this description at Cables on Demand.  I don't know that Monoprice (my go-to vendor for cables) sells such a thing (I can't find it).

You possibly could get away with plain modular phone cord for short runs, but since you say you need a longer cable than you've already got, that's probably a bad idea.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

So what do I do ? Been told by ATT&T rep on phone, just go to bestbuy,,,,,
but what do I ask for ? Why is this so difficult ?????? I just want a
longer data cable...... but seems I need the right one.....no one can
answer,

So both ends look like a phone jack, wall outlet to internet modem,,,, then
modem connects to uverse ......via usb connnections,, got it....

So I ask for RJ111,,,,, ends w cable 5e or whatever......why is this so
difficult......????

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Is ATT&T protecting their inside technical details from the competitor
?????

ALL cords are annoyingly way to long,,, except for the ultimate most
important data cable ????? Why ?? I just need 2 feet or so more for
furniture arrangements....then no one assists in supplying tech info, or
replacement info.....bad deal by
ATT&T.......do they want me to call a pricey installation guy/girl to
extent my data cable ?.....is it a technical secret info deal ?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

You cannot "just go to Best Buy" to find a twisted pair cable with RJ11 ends.  Best Buy will not carry those.  If you insist, you can purchase standard flat modular phone cable, but it will not resist interference as a twisted pair cable would, so you may find that you have dropouts, etc.  Or it may work fine. 

Or you can order the cable from the web site listed above.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.