Mtatum25's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 9th, 2018 7:18 PM

I just want 5G wifi

How can I communicate effectively when I ask for 5G WiFi? I currently upgraded my speed to 45 whatever whatever, but no one can tell me if it’s 5g? I know am definitely missing something but if I call to order 5G WiFi shouldn’t someone know what I mean or educate me? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

If you have a NVG599, 5268ac, or BGW210 gateway they are all dual band, i.e., support 2.4 and 5GHz wifi.  Access your gateway (192.168.1.254) with your browser, navigate to its wifi section, and see for yourself.

If you want to always access the 5GHz wifi then change the ssid/passwords so that the 2.4 and 5 are different and then you can specifically access the 5GHz by using that ssid and password.  For these gateways, if the ssid/passwords are the same on both radios (and they are by default) these gateways have band steering enabled where the gateway tries to dynamically optimize which band to use.

Change your Wi-Fi network information

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

When disabling 2.4 GHz, be warned that while 5.0 GHz has the capability for more bandwidth, it is also shorter range and more impacted by stuff (walls, appliances, etc.) in the way.  You may find that 2.4 works over an entire apartment, while 5.0 only covers two-thirds.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.