Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I have a Pace 5268AC Router, how to put it in Bridge Mode?

Tutor

I have a Pace 5268AC Router, how to put it in Bridge Mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 225
Teacher

Re: I have a Pace 5268AC Router, how to put it in Bridge Mode?

@thisisbrutal,

I found another post that addresses using the Pace 5268ac with multiple static IP blocks from AT&T: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/klince/2016/02/15/psasetting-static-ip-address-with-the-att-u-ve...

His configuration differs from @JefferMC's in that he does NOT use the Cascaded Router option; since you've tried so many different options, I would start by factory-resetting the 5268ac and removing all other devices.  Then disable wireless on 5268 so no other devices pick up addresses while you're getting this set up.  After that, his steps are basically:

• Go to Settings -> Broadbank -> Link Configuration and Add Additional Network: enter the Gateway IP address & Subnet mask that AT&T gave you; I believe the Gateway IP address should be 1 more than the last in the block of 5 assigned to you (e.g. if AT&T assigned you addresses xxx.xxx.xxx.41-45, then the Gateway address should be xxx.xxx.xxx.46 and the Broadcast address will be xxx.xxx.xxx.47).  Not 100% sure about this, but AT&T should be able to confirm.  Anyway, if you have been given 5 addresses, the Subnet mask should always be 255.255.255.248.  SAVE THIS!
  • Go to Settings -> LAN -> DHCP and change "New Device DHCP Pool" from "Private Network" to "Public Routed Network".  SAVE THIS!
  • Now plug your "Black Knight" router into one of the 5268's LAN ports (make SURE your router is set to DHCP for the WAN address!!).  Check the IP address it gets and it SHOULD be the first one in your allocated block.
  • Finally, go to Settings -> LAN -> LAN IP Address Allocation as we've done in previous setups and 1) Disable the firewall & 2) set WAN IP Mapping to whatever Public IP address you want the router to always use.

Repeat the last 2 steps for any additional routers or devices that need a public IP (I assume you have more than 1 since you've paid for 5!!).

Let us know how this new setup works...

Message 61 of 225
Teacher

fpuppy......Thanks for your response......I have tried this method you sent me (posted) already.....4x in fact....I found Ken Lince's explanation on the web last week.....when I saw his blog I thought "THIS is the answer" and I was confident!....Then it did not work.......Even tried to write to him this morning! When I try to trigger that public network change from private setting it seems to work for my Black Knight router, but the PACE router keeps on using 172.xxx.x.x which is not my static IP..........I'm not 100% certain, since I have never used this router before, so I am a newbie here, but I think I need the OUTSIDE world to see my WAN (the PACE) as MY static IP, not the 172 that the AT&T PACE router is self-configuring to, as seen under broadband>status>current internet connection. Still hopelessly hamstrung...........I must be doing something wrong, but darned if I know what it is. The people at AT&T tech support DO NOT KNOW how to set this router up and they have been zero assistance.

Message 62 of 225
Teacher

@thisisbrutal,

Let's break the problem down: after clean reset of the Pace and just connecting it to the internet without your other router, what IP address are you seeing on the WAN side (just the first & last octets will be enough to verify the AT&T setup)?

Message 63 of 225
Teacher

172.x.xxx.247

Message 64 of 225
Teacher

@thisisbrutal,

I have a single static IP from AT&T that I'm passing on to my own router and it starts with 172.  Why do you think your static IP's should be in a different range?  Based on what you're reporting, I would have guessed that your 5 static IP's should be 172.x.xxx.241-245.  What range have they told you ?

Message 65 of 225
Teacher

fpuppy.......Not mine...........my statics are 104.xxx.xx.185 to 189 according to AT&T

Message 66 of 225
ACE - Expert

185-189 would be the static block 104.xx.xx.184/28, comprising:

184 - Base address (reserved)

185 - First available

186 - Second

187 - Third

188 - Fourth

189 - Fifth

190 - Gateway Address (reserved to AT&T)

191 - Broadcast (reserved for broadcast).

Here is an old thread that may be of assistance:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Setup-Static-IP-s-Router-behind-RG-5031NV/td-p/369...

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 67 of 225
Teacher

@thisisbrutal, I was wrong when I stated our WAN IP address starting with 172 was statically assigned by AT&T (I forgot we quick paying for static when we switched to UVerse since they almost never change), so it appears you're getting a dynamic address on the WAN port of your PACE.

It appears from the link referenced by @JefferMC above that the Cascaded Router option is the way to make this work; from my reading of that thread, Cascaded Router is the ONLY option you should set (you can't choose Additional Network at the same time and you shouldn't use the DMZPlus option we've been discussing in the rest of this thread).  The critical part that @gimp_dad figured out was setting a private static IP on your Black Knight router's WAN port to match the one you enter in the CascRouter setup (192.168.1.14 in his example).

Anyway, let us know if things get better with this latest info...

Message 68 of 225
Teacher

Trying to get the static IP to configure on this Pace router - Tried DMZ+ per AT&T tech support - did not work - tried cascade but the person who suggested cascade said you have to use additional network with cascade - my Pace does not allow both to work, it's one or the other - so that did not work - tried Ken Lince blog suggesting changing DHCP from private to public then allocate and force router to "find" the static IP - that did not work - this latest suggestion/and historic thread from Jeffers sounds good - I will try it tonite - BUT - found this manual online that goes to this router, on page 19 they specifically say "Set up the LAN publicly routed subnet first if you want to use the public address with your DHCP configuration", they are talking about the add additional network and saying it must be implemented........I took that to mean you have to have the additional network settings section of the Pace active if you want your static IP addresses to be visible to the public, which I do.

AT&T is the real scab here - how can they market this product to the general public and yet their own people in tech support do not know how to use it???? It is incredible how unconscionable, totally incompetent this company really is. When I call and ask for support on this issue (multiple times now) they ask me the same questions over and over, then put me on hold for 40 to 50 minutes, come back and say "still working on it, sorry it is taking so long, can I call you back........than they do nothing and they never call you back.........it is INCREDIBLE. I now know more about this router than they do......it is Windows 3.1 all over again..............

Message 69 of 225
ACE - Expert

@thisisbrutal, I believe that fpuppy is correct that the configuration for "additional network" and "cascaded router" are mutually exclusive.  Pick the former if you wand your Gateway to handle the subnet, and the latter if you want to hand your public subnet off to the other router.  Agree that DMZplus should not be introduced with a public static router.

AT&T's support organization is geared around answering the questions that 95% of their customers have as quickly (and cheaply) as possible.  The first levels of support are not trained to handle the questions that the other 5% of us may generate.  Most of them don't know a subnet mask from a Request for Comment.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 70 of 225
Contributor

I resolved the same issue, but a different / quick way.

192.168.1.254 / Settings / LAN / LAN IP Address Allocation / (find your router - current internal WAN IP) Disable Firewall / Address Assignment 'Public (WAN IP Mapping)' - WAN IP Mapping 'Router WAN IP address (default)' / Save <with access code from side of modem>

Now your personal routers WAN IP will be a public one.  + dynamic DNS and virtual port forwarding to devices on the router will start to function.

Message 71 of 225
Teacher

Not exactly sure how that's different from what I posted (post #28), but you have summarized it more concisely that I did. Smiley Wink

Message 72 of 225

Post #28 works. But I am not getting a high throughput whatsoever. Right now I am averaging 200-300Mbps down and 150-200Mbps up... Nowhere near 1Gbps up/down. I was able to get 900up/600down on ONE speedtest prior to configuring DMZ for my personal router, but those speeds are gone. 

Anyone else having low throughput as well?

I  am having the issue as well.  I ran the test suggested by fpupy and it would appear it is my Ausu router.  Odd as it is rated for 1Gbps.

Message 73 of 225
Mentor

Ok guys, we've beat to death how to DMZ+ a second router. But has anyone actually DMZ+'ed a VPN router and successfully bonded a site-to-site VPN over DMZ+?

There seems to be some bright people here, I certainly can't be the only person wanting to use a VPN behind a Pace 5268...?

Message 74 of 225
Mentor

Darknessrise: Just as a tip, ensure that you're using ONLY channels 1,6, or 11 on the 2.4 GHz network. Any others often lead to problems.

The best way to select what operating channel to use is to run a wireless analyzer app or program to scan visible networks and determine which frequencies/channels are not being used. You will almost instantly be able to tell where the spectrum gaps are and tune your access point to that channel. 

Message 75 of 225
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support