For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Agree fully. I go to ShieldsUp! at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to
make sure I don't have any open ports. The only device attached to the Pace
5268AC is my Asus router so the Asus supplies the firewall and I keep the
firmware up to date. Kudos for pointing that out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Did anyone respond to post 37 about the VPN issue?  My VPN randomly boots me off and I'd like to eliminate the router end of things as a problem before I "Office Space" my work laptop. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

I found I did not need bridge mode to access my public web site on a Cisco router attached to a LAN port on my Pace 5286. I reconfigured many times but could not see my public WWW site from anything connected to my LAN. My dynamic public address was updating my DNS service, but I couldn't see the web site when testing. Good News though, it's there, and the public internet can see it. I connected to my site using my phone on a separate wireless carrier with no problems. There is some kind of 'loopback' prevention on the Pace, that I didn't have with my previous 2-wire modem. (Need to RTFM...)

Simple setup: Cisco gets local DHCP address from Pace via LAN port. Pace is configured with HTTPD (port 80) pinhole for the designated Cisco connection. The Cisco is also configured with port pass-through on TCP port 80. Web server has static private IP on Cisco.  Try as I might, my PC wired to the Cisco can't see the public web site, but can access it using the local private LAN address. External connections work perfect.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 years ago

@ericjregan wow, its amazing to come back 6-7 months later and still see this thread struggling. Its probably due to the fact that people are still trying to convince everyone (misleading really) that this is possible. Eric, post #114 sums it all up.

If you read the original post, bolynn states that "there used to be a bridge mode setting in past modem/router combo units" and that they are "unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode?".

The answer is, you can't. All of the other help trying to convince people otherwise should give it up. You're wasting a massive amount of other peoples time.

Unless the firmware has changed since Sept-Dec 2016, The "Solved! Go to this Solution" button on this thread should link to post #114. YOU CAN'T!!!

PK

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I concur with piersonk on this. He's dead on. I've just spent several days trying ever conceivable way of trying to truly bridge this device. If you place it in DMZ+ with a firewall behind it set to stealth pings it still pings. Because AT&T's firmware won't forward the ICMP ping echo and it will not block it either. This means you can't hide your 5268AC from hackers AND be in DMZ+ mode. Horrible. It also opens port 10 when you go into DMZ+ mode. What's that about? So your choices are be cloaked and NOT bridged OR be visible and PARTIALLY kinda sort of bridged. Awful.

So far I've found 5 bugs some of which dangerously affect security (and I just started playing with this device), firmware 10.5.3.527283-att:

1> 2.4GHz WPS can't be disabled, it reenables after save

2> 5.0GHz disable reenables itself upon reboot

3> 5.0GHz beacon stays active when you disable 5.0GHz

4> DMZ+ disables ping blocking

5> DMZ+ opens port 10

Each of the above are reproducible after factory reset. Bottom line, if you are running in DMZ+ with this firmware, you are a target. Wow. When will there be new firmware for these SERIOUS security flaws? How can we still get an NVG599?

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 years ago

@allansterHow can you still get an NVG599? Call up ATT and tell them you want one. They put up a little resistance with me at first, trying to convince me that one of their 'advanced network technicians' (LOL) could help me get the Pace to work. I said a few unrepeatable things and they sent me an Arris right away. If you are at all interested in this subject, switch to the Arris, you'll be glad you did.

PS: I still cant believe how much has been posted on this thread, esp from the "Experts", none of which I can see actually states the truth about bridging. Even the big green Solved! button points to a post that isn't a bridge. Baffling.

PK

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@piersonk already have tracking info for NVG599 on it's way. I think I actually got the @ATTcares idea from reading one of your posts this morning so thank you for that! All of my digging seemed to indicate this was the more skilled tech's model of choice. Excited to finally get the 5268AC as far away from me as possible.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Interesting thread. I have read it several times. I just left a local cable provider for Fiber and was happy with the install and speeds ( 900 down and 900 up). The faster speeds to help when multiple family members are streaming 4K content at night.

I have  my Dynamic DNS and port forwarding set up on my original router. I currently have a dedicated non-wifi router and a 24 port switch with a WAP controller and two WAPS. I followed the instructions in post #5 and #28. Currently I have selected the DMZ option.  All seems to be working well to see the outside world, my router shows the DHCP WAN as the ATT WAN IP. However.....

1.) When trying to access the server via the ports I have forwarded it no long works. Do I port forward on the ATT 5268AC as well? Well, I tried that and no go. So the question is does Port Forwaring work?

2.) I have cameras set via DYN DNS on the main router and this seems to be working. 

3.) With the setup recommended in this thread I can no longer access 192.168.1.254 (modem) unless I reactivate the Wi-Fi or directly connect a laptop into the 5268AC. Thoughts? 

4.) Also, when I run Steve Gibsons GRC Shields up the ports no show closed mainly and 3 or 4 ports show stealth. Before they were all stealth. Thoughts?

5.) I did contact ATT customer care. They stated they would be able to send me another gateway. Which one should I get? Just like everyone else I want a simple bridge unit. 

Thank you,

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am curious as to what I did wrong. Yesterday I had AT&T Fiber installed which is great. I also have the EERO setup. All I did was disable wifi and plug my eero into the 5268AC. I then rebooted everything. I made no changes to any settings and everything works. What am I missing ? Is what I did OK ?

Thanks

Jason

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

All great ideas, I have an old Arris NVG589 that was put into "bridge" mode by ATT India techs. It worked well until ATT replaced it with the Pace 5268AC. Think I can just have them use that or should I press for the NVG599? Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.