bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Do you have a router other than (in addition to) the Pace? Do you want to put your HTTP server on your internal LAN Network and direct http traffic to it?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Mark.........RE: post 97...........

Yes I have an additional router........Yes I want the http traffic to go to it and deliver to a server on my INTERNAL LAN............

Everyone told me to set up an additional network and use the PACE to DMZ-plus MY router........when I did this the HTTP traffic would not go through........

To get the traffic to go through I had to remove MY router and use the PACE to DMZ-plus MY server, along with change it's (the server) network card setting to one of the static IP's (which I knew was wrong).......but then the traffic went through...........

This left me with one of the static IP's working behind the PACE on my server and an additional network set up on the PACE, but the router is still using the default DHCP AT&T 172 network ip as the external IP the world is seeing.

I kept asking everyone on the forum how to make the PACE router show the outside world (Broadband/WAN) one of my static IP's to get rid of the 172.x.xxx.xxx and no one could suggest a setup that worked..........I tried their different suggestions mind you.........but I could never get the PACE to stop showing the outside world (Broadband/WAN setting) the AT&T 172.x.xxx.xxx IP.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm having various issues after getting an "upgrade" to the 5268AC as well.  I messaged ATT support and one of their suggestions was to buy my own router, DMZ it through the 5268AC, and turn off wifi on it.  They also offered to ship me a new Arris NVG599, which is what I had previously and failed hence the "upgrade".  I just bought a ASUS AC3200 to use behind the 5268AC and am wondering after reading this if I'll also be chasing my tail?  I'm now thinking maybe I should take them up on the Arris NVG599 and wait until I get that to put the AC3200 in service.  Any thoughts?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Aliasmangler.............If they offered to let you have the same router (Arris NVG599) model you had previously (and it worked) I whole heartedly endorse taking them up on it. This 5268AC is a pain and seems designed to limit functionality.
If you are not configuring static IP addresses and web site connectivity it (5268AC) may be useful to you because of the speed increase (it seems to work well for basic home internet connectivity and TV viewing). I am configuring web sites to be seen behind the router, along with connecting additional routers of my own. From that perspective, this PACE 5268 bites.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

thisisbrutal, thanks for your response.  I'm not doing any static IPs or anything as advanced as you are, but have had several issues with the 5268 since it was installed.  The 1st thing I noticed was that my WD MyCloud no longer functioned when plugged into the 5268, but worked flawlessly for years on the 599.  It seems there is a known bug with the 5268's auto-negotiation and it won't assign an ip to any MyCloud, maybe other brands as well, devices.  The only way to get it to work is to log onto the MyCloud via ssh, disable auto-negotiation, and manually set the link speed.  Problem is anytime either the MyCloud or 5268 is updated, that gets undone, so I've essentially not been able to use the drive since getting the 5268 several months ago.  ATT support attempted to make some changes to my 5268 to get it to work and failed.  Pace has been working with the provider Sonic for a fix for some time and finally has one ready to go, but ATT doesn't seem to be interested in getting in on the update.  The 2nd thing I noticed was that the Apple Airport express modules that I use for outside amps and speakers as well as extending my wifi networks range can't extend the 5268's wifi.  I can get them to join the network, but they self destruct when attempting to extend and have to be re-configured from scratch.  The 2rd thing is that the wifi coverage doesn't seem as good as the 599 was or maybe it's just more noticable since the airports can't extend the 5268's wifi....  I may give the ASUS router a go behind the 5268 and see what happens since I've got it in hand, just need to carve out some time to do it and update everyone's devices for the new network.

Thanks again.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

@AliasMangler, I believe that MOST people who need to get away from the 5268 as their main router for WHATEVER reason (and you have listed several!) will be happy with configuring it using the LAN IP Address Allocation settings I described in post #28 OR using the DMZPlus & associated Firewall settings in the solution posted by @Darknessrise.  The only 2 situations that I have seen mentioned in this thread and elsewhere on the interweb that will still cause problems are:

1. Using public static IPs provided by AT&T: in this case DMZPlus/LANIPAA will NOT work and the router must be configured using either the "Cascaded Router" or "Additional Network" settings under the Broadband tab.  Like @Darknessrise and some others who've helped here, I don't have access to such a setup, so can't really help those who are trying to get it working.  From reading the manual and based on posts hinting at partial success, I do believe it's possible but may require finding that last "i" or "t" that needs to be dotted or crossed.Smiley Wink
  2. The specific VPN-related issues that many have mentioned here.  These seem to be specific to the type of VPN being set up: @Mark_VPN & @JefferMC appear to have the 5268 working with a VPN router behind it, and I have SSL-VPN working to a SonicWall TZ300 behind a 5268 using DMZPlus.  However, others such as @jculley6 & @piersonk have not had as much success, so there are obviously bridge-mode related issues still plaguing this device.

Since you mention neither of these issues in your post, I believe you will be satisfied with the ASUS router running behind the 5268 in DMZPlus mode.

Let us know...

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

@fpuppy, thanks for the response and concise summation of the great information provided in this thread. I will certainly be referring to post #28 and the solution posted by @Darknessrise when I finally get the time to install and configure the ASUS 3200.  I will certainly let folks know how it works out in my situation.....

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 years ago

@fpuppy - I believe @Mark_VPN solution was also using static addressing with a site-to-site bond.

To clarify, @jculley6 and I were able to get our routers working on dynamic/DMZ+, just not able to get site-to-site VPN traffic to pass between remote subnets. We're pretty confident that the 5268 is interfering with GRE 47. Unless you have a traditional, site-to-site GRE type of tunnel it should be ok. (IE: If you're using SSL-VPN into a TZ300 it sounds like you might be client dialing into your router on SSL, which utilizes different traffic.) Otherwise, *thumbsup*!

PS: Are you dynamic/DMZ+ or static?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

The FW in the NVG599 behaves just like the Pace.  According to the GUI the firewall is off.  IP passthrough is working, my other router is getting the public IP. but the firewall log is loaded with stuff it blocks every minutes.  Cannot enable telnet.  The marketing people at ATT and the FW engineeris know what I need more than I do.  They get enough money, I am done.  The cable company will give me a plain old cable moden and more bandwidth.

Bottom Line:  ATT is going to block certain traffic from certain equipment that is not theirs and you cannot do anything about it.  If you need advanced networking DO NOT USE THEM.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

Yet another session with ATT to confirm, I did get to l2 but they said it should work.  I said your firewall is blocking this traffic and I get that, you want be to upgrade to business class and under different circumstances I might just do that, but not this one.  Time Warner / Spectrum will be here tomorrow and if they fire(pay)wall me, well I guess I will just submit. The really fun part about this is that is all worked fine into an Asus RT-N66 router up until about 4 months ago.  I have workarounds, but it was a pain.  Now I am addressing it and the truth has come out:  upgrade to business class.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.