bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Did you try following my instructions from post #28 to put the 5268 in bridge mode?

If you do that, you should be able to your TP Link (or any other) router as if it were directly connected to the internet.

Let me know your results...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Does anyone know if the NVG599 can do the same? That was the only motorola modem available for him to ship out to replace my Pace.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Have you looked for the config setup I described in post #28 to see if those options exist on the NVG599?  If so, I'll bet it will work the same.

Let us know!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So which is the correct solution for using the 5268ac as a bridge - the DMZ+ method from post #5, or the IP address allocation method from post #28?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

I "believe" they will give identical (or very close to) results.  The steps I used in post #28 are what I "believe" Pace intended to be used for achieving a pseudo-bridge mode.  I included a bunch of extra stuff for folks who aren't experienced in configuring routers, but it basically boils down to:

1. Go to Settings->LAN->LAN IP Address Allocation and select your device.
  2. Change Firewall->Disabled and Address Assign->Public (select WAN IP mapping)

Note that you can still use the 5268's router functions with subnet 192.168.1.xxx (either via wireless or the other wired ports NOT being used by your "real" router).  This is a good way to implement a "Guest" network.  Connections to the 5268 won't be able to access your other devices behind the 2nd router.  Of course, if you don't want another network, disable the 5268 wireless and don't plug any other devices into the wired ports.  If you do this, you can even reuse the 192.168.1.xxx subnet on the 2nd router without conflicts.

Note: my answer to your question is somewhat biased, since I wrote post #28Man Wink

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

8 years ago

I tend to have some disdain for the way ATT makes things intentionally difficult. Hey ATT, why on earth would you remove the option to bridge a device? That is literally the single most important option on routers given by providers. Thank you for making everyones life **** (opposite of heaven). Just read how many people in your forums are struggling with this. And thank you for telling me, when I signed up for service, that you would have no problem with bridging your device into a modem since I had such strict requirements with the router provided by our work and that it needed to pass traffic DIRECTLY to my router so we could use our corporate VPN system.

Thank you for lying about that and trying to send not one, not two, but three technicans out to try and resolve this lie (one of which never even showed up by the way and cost me a days work) and the other literally laughed at my request.

Then referring me to your "paid for" tech service for "advice" on how to accopmlish what field technicians used to do in 2 minutes. Thank you so much ATT. This has cost me countless hours/days with no positive result and for that I am extrememly thankful I chose your service (and will be cancelling your service the day my contract is up).

Yes, the DMZ+ process generally allows you to "pass" a public address to your router, seemingly bypassing whatever the 5268 is doing with its firewall.

I have a Pace 5268AC.

Heres where it gets complicated: After DMZ+'ing my router (and getting a public address on it through some wierd, magical DHCP pass through process that allows both the Pace and my router to both be using the same public address at the same time) I can ALSO get my site-to-site VPN tunnel to bond between my home and office. Anyone with experience doing this knows this is typically a finicky process and the site-to-site VPN will not connect if everything isn't perfect. But it does!

HOWEVER, no traffic will actually pass through the tunnel from home to work (IE: I cant RDP in, or even ping for that matter). Ironically, traffic will pass back the otherway (I won't overcomplicate things by saying traffic does pass back, but not to all IP nodes lol). I cannot ping the work gateways internal address from home but I can ping the home gateways internal address from the office. 

Anyone have ideas? I've been messing with this for days and my final assumption is that firewall on the 5268AC (even though the firewall option for the router node on DMZ+ has been set to "disabled") is still interfering with the VPN traffic just enough to where the VPN will bond but traffic isn't reliable. 

Additionally, although this DMZ+ option is an exteremly lame alternative to actual BRIDGING, it does not appear to be equivalent. 

Hey ATT, what gives?

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

8 years ago

Glassman23: I tried both ways because it's an interesting concept that fpuppy had (and I was hoping it would resolve my issue).

After using fpuppys method I went back and checked the router node in under LAN IP address allocation table and it was listed as a DMZ device. 

I then went into Firewall Pinholes and DMZ and the node was shown as a DMZ+ device.

It seems both processes wind up with the same effective configuration.

And PS: neither of them are equivalent to what actual bridging would do. But for most it might be close (lame that we've come to being "close" for solutions, I know). Read my other post, it explains. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thanks so much fpuppy! Your post #28 works at least for now. I have yet to set up my Western Digital My Cloud EX2, but I am in far better shape than I was before with their Pace of crap.

I wasted hours on the phone with inept call center At&t empolyees who can barely read from the binder in front of them before turning to google for solutions. I drew the line at $15/mo (year contract) premium support suggestion. I have real doubts about the company and if they would have had any answers. The install techs are somewhat knowlegeable and express frustration over the lack of communication within a "communications" company.

If it weren't for the fact that we are only renting for a year (Navy training) and the owners we are renting from already have a DirecTV dish & wiring, I would have gone with anyone else. I hate that they now own DirecTV. Poor install tech from Direc showed up the day after we got hooked up to install again...? He said it wasn't the first time it had happened since AT&T took over.

It took me 8 hours of phone calls and 12 days to get the service installed in the first place. Two cancelled appointments with no call, email, or explanation after I called to find out why noone showed up. Each time the employee on the phone correctly read back all my contact info and confirmation #s. I had to deal with 4 different departments within the company before installation.

The sales team really screwed me; over their commisions, I assume. My crappy AT&T cell service dropped my first sign up call. They could not call me back? They could not reconnect me to my original salesman and instead created a second request with all the same info. Somehow this confused the whole system and the only solution was to use my wifes info to create a "thrid" install request. 

I still have yet another department to call about getting refunded from the failed sign ups.

Hopefully, my cloud will be accessible or I'll be back on here searching for solutions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the same challenge with my 5268AC.

My goal is to hook up an ASUS AC3100 (RT-AC88u) Wi-Fi Router to increase range.

I will not use this as a router only as the Wi-Fi signal.

What is the best way to configure this and will it be secure?

Thank you kindly!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I was able to get this device to supply the WAN IP address to my internal router without issue.  Here's the procedure I used:

1. Connect your internal router to an Ethernet port on the back of the 5268AC

2. Power it up and allow it to get a WAN IP address (from it's perspective) from the 5268AC.  Mine got 192.168.1.66.

3. Goto Settings -> LAN -> LAN IP Address Allocation in the 5268AC

4. Locate your router in the list of connected devices.

5. Select Firewall (Disabled) and Address Assignment (Public (Select WAN IP Mapping)) and then WAN IP Mapping (Router WAN IP Address (default))

6. Save your settings

7. Go to your internal router and force it to DHCP the WAN address.

This worked fine for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.