bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@bolynn80

Hook up your D-link to the LAN ports of your gateway and power it on. Now reboot the gateway. Once the gateway is up, head over to http://192.168.1.254 in your browser and go to Settings > Firewall > Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. Once there, select your D-link device on the list of devices. After it is selected, check the bubble for DMZ+ mode and click save. Go to your wireless settings and disable your Pace's wireless network so that it is no longer active. Now power off your D-link and reboot your Pace. Once it is fully booted up, power on the D-link once again.

OR

You can put your D-link in access point mode by heading over to your D-link's UI, going to Settings > Internet and changing the device mode to "Bridge Mode." Don't forget to also disable your Pace's wireless network.

Just as a tip, ensure that you're using ONLY channels 1,6, or 11 on the 2.4 GHz network. Any others often lead to problems.

I would also suggest you name your D-link's network to match that of the gateway with the same password to make it easy to reconnect your devices.

You DO NOT need the static IPs. Get rid of them. There technically isn't a bridge mode per say with the gateways, it's mainly a pass on a public IP and open firewall kind of thing. I would use method #2 to keep it simple unless you want to use the USB ports on the router.

DO NOT connect Ethernet cables running to U-verse TV receivers(if you have U-verse TV) to the D-link, keep them connected to the Pace.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

I found a thread with information that might be of help to you.

Best I could do, as I know they CAN be placed in bypass mode, but don't really know HOW to set.. hope this helps you. 

https://forums.att.com/t5/DSL-Routers-Home-Networks/2wire-bridge-modem/m-p/3409619

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hello, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already read that and it wasn't too helpful. The more I read the more it sounds like the Pace 5268AC router can't be put in bridge mode. So I turned to doing a cascading router setup, but I am having problems getting this to work. I tried for 5 hours yesterday and getting extremely frustrated. I have always hated AT&T for their Uverse setups, but this latest router (Pace 5268AC) takes the cake as it is almost intentionally setup to detour people from implementing their own equipment. The Pace 5268AC is a hunk of junk, and I want to get my DIR-890L setup to use as my wi-fi router which is looking to be impossible.

AT&T tech sold me on a block of static IP's last night which I paid for, but even after setting up static IP's I run into the same setup issues when trying to use cascading router features in Pace 5268AC. Frustrating is a gentle way to put how I feel right now toward AT&T. 

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Thanks @Darknessrise! I knew you were the go to guy on this! (reading back thru the thread, not sure I actually asked for your help by name, though. Sorry about that, will do so in the future.)

I'll give the op about 24 hours to read and mark it himeself before making the solution as being acceptable, before making it for him.

Great job, as usual dark. (U-verse setups are just a bit beyond me, due to not having u-verse service myself.)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@Darknessrise, I just switched from the NVG589 to the Pace 5268AC when fiber was installed.  Why do you state "You DO NOT need the static IPs. Get rid of them." ?

I had 5 static IPs with my NVG589, and allowed me to make a couple of servers visible to the outside world (and use the default port numbers).  As you might guess, I had the NVG589 in a sort of bridge mode in order to allow the SonicWall to handle firewall, NAT, DHCP, VPN, etc.  The method I used to configure the NVG589 is found here; worked fine:

http://www.spearfoot.net/uverse-static-ip/

I use a SonicWall firewall router, mostly for the VPN feature (I have other identical devices at other locations, and they work together very nicely; also easier to configure as they all work the same).  However, the SonicWall is a 10/100 device, so I am not taking full advantage of the fiber bandwidth.  (The SonicWall can handle more than 100 Mb throughput in the aggregate -- that's just the limit on any one connection).  BTW, I can live with each of my devices being limited to the 100 Mbs limit of each SonicWall port (also the limit for my 10/100 switch).

From your and others' comments, it seems that I cannot configure the 5286 in any sort of equivalent bridge mode.  Are you suggesting that I put the SonicWall on the DMZ of the 5286?  If I do this, how do I configure the static IPs 5286?

I realize that I have jumbled together several questions here.  Seeking guidance on how to best configure everything.

Thanks in advance.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@johnradams wrote:

@@Darknessrise, I just switched from the NVG589 to the Pace 5268AC when fiber was installed.  Why do you state "You DO NOT need the static IPs. Get rid of them." ?

I said that because the original poster was told they needed them to make their router work(which is not true) with the gateway. I suggested he get rid of them since they'll be an unnessary expense.

@johnradams wrote:

From your and others' comments, it seems that I cannot configure the 5286 in any sort of equivalent bridge mode.  Are you suggesting that I put the SonicWall on the DMZ of the 5286?  If I do this, how do I configure the static IPs 5286?

Well, the 5268AC along with other gateways don't really have a bridge mode. Most of the time they are able to only just pass on the public IP/disable firewall protection for the device.

If you want to open the firewall and give the public IP to your SonicWall, then DMZ+ would be an option. However, I am not really familiar with configuring static IPs. I believe that's where cascaded router settings come in, however I cannot assist with that since I don't have experience with it and I don't want to give out incorrect information.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@Darknessrise, thanks for your helpful reply.

Based on your comments, plus other information I have seen on this and other forums, it seems that allowing the 5268 to handle the static IPs makes life much easier (and in fact, might pretty much be the only way to use them with the 5268).

So, my plan is to do the following:

1. Keep the 5268 with the default LAN address of 192.168.1.254.

2. Continue to use a distinct sub-net for my internal LAN (eg, 192.168.67.x).  This network is "behind" my Sonic firewall.

3. Note that using 2 subnets means that I can access the .1 subnet from the 67 subnet, so I can access the 5268 from my various devices behind my firewall (handy for configuring , etc.)

4. Attach my devices that wish to be externally accessible via a static IP directly to the LAN ports on the 5268.  They will be protected by the 5268 firewall.

5. Everything on my 67 subnet is protected by the Sonic firewall.

6. The Sonic will continue to provide VPN services, although I won't be able to access the "exposed servers" via the VPN (at least until I tweak things somehow; not clear how to do this; not sure if I care that much).

7. The exposed servers will enjoy potentially faster access to the Internet as they are connected directly to the 5268 (and not connected via any 10/100 equipment).

8. When inside my home (and on a device on the 67 subnet), I should be able to access the exposed servers using their public IP.

The above glosses over a few details, but this seems to be the way to proceed.  Any other scheme seems to be "fighting against the grain" with the 5268.

As an aside, I should mention that I use a distinct subnet numbering scheme for each location where I have equipment (home, colo, remote office, second home, etc.).  This makes it very easy to set up the VPN between the various subnets, as each subnet can be completely mapped to another -- you don't need to worry about individual IP addresses on each subnet.  Just map the entire subnet!  So, for example, from my home on the .67 subnet, I can access any computer on another subnet via the VPN by just accessing an IP in the form of 192.168.77.22 (this accesses a device on the .77 subnet).

Would be very pleased to get any/all feedback!   Thanks in advance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

OK, I have done the following:

1. Connected my "servers to be exposed with a public IP" directly to the ports on the Pace 5268AC.

2. Opened pinholes in the firewall on the 5268AC.

HOWEVER, the only way that I am able to map the public IP to each server is to actually configure the device with the public IP!!!    I expected to be able to give the devices a LAN address of the form 192.168.1.195, and then use the 5268AC to "map" the public IP to each LAN IP.

Because the exposed devices have only a public IP, and not a private IP, I am unable to access these devices from my LAN.   This is insane.

When I use the "LAN IP Address Allocation" screen on the 5268AC to try to map the private IP (of the form 192.168.1.x) to the public WAN IP, the 5268AC refuses to do this, and presents this error message:

For the public routed subinterface only WAN IP mapping is allowed.

Anyone got a manual on the Pace 5268AC?  Anyone got any ideas?   Thanks in advance.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

This router is all that AT&T will offer me. I'm paying $78 / month under threat of cancelation fee of $189. Of course AT&T never told me they were going to provide me hardware that would limit my ability to access my other devices, or use software like XAMPP. After all of the frustration I've had with this Pace 5268 AC Residential Gateway device I've decided it's time for AT&T and me to part ways. 

Here's the deal. If you have UPnP like a Samsung MyCloud it will be very difficult to get it to work on the Pace 5268 AC Residential Gateway, and it will lack full functionality. All for AT&T's beneift under the guise of "We're helping the customer." Never mind I've lost the ability to run a localhost software that allowed me to test dev WordPress installs, and other web software prior to uploading to server. I'm done with AT&T.

Employee

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Call in a repair ticket ( might have to unplug RG when you call in). when the tech comes out tell the tech you would like a 599 or older 589. Most tech will not have problem as they carrier over 4 different RG on there truck at all times. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.